Back Home

Just got home this afternoon from a completely awesome trip to the desert. Four consecutive days of hiking well over 1,000 feet of vertical did kick my **** (literally, even my glutes are sore), but I would do it again in a heartbeat, and actually we are already making plans for a return. Zion N.P. is just unbelievable. Even the most tourist-clogged hikes are astoundingly beautiful, and just like fishing where all the fishermen are within a mile of their cars, a few hundred yards past the main "attractions" the trails become if not empty at least a lot more empty. Also did a quick drive-by of Bryce Canyon on the way home, also awesome, also inspiring thougths of a return with backpacks. And we didn't even look\, yet, at Escalante, Arches, Moab, etc.

Great to be back home, but Southern Utah will be seeing more of me in the near future.

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    Sounds great. Where's the holiday snaps?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    FishTx, I have to move the photos from my iphone to my photobucket account, then I'll post some up here.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Sounds like a nice trip. I'm hoping to get to Bryce and Zion within the next couple of years. Are you by any chance an Edward Abbey fan?? I'm thinking you got to be but If not you should definitely check him out.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Hayduke lives!!!!
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • truco7mateotruco7mateo Senior Member Posts: 192 Senior Member
    Sounds awesome Pio, just one problem, it's in Utah. Truco avoids Utah like the plaugue. Actaully, Utah probably would be great....if it wasn't full of well ....uuummmm... people from Utah. Bruneau was spectacular today btw, kids had a blast.
    truco, Utah is changing. Springdale, the town at the Zion Park entrance, is full of coffee shops and bars serving microbrews, obviously not your typical Utahrd establishments. But I admit that travelling in Utah requires a different kind of planning.

This trip wuold have been perfect if only I had a 20' Airstream, customized for me and my famile.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,689 Senior Member
    Jamespio wrote: »
    truco, Utah is changing. Springdale, the town at the Zion Park entrance, is full of coffee shops and bars serving microbrews, obviously not your typical Utahrd establishments. But I admit that travelling in Utah requires a different kind of planning.

This trip wuold have been perfect if only I had a 20' Airstream, customized for me and my famile.

Moab was catching up to the 60's with a vengence when we were there a few years ago. Nevertheless, it had a few interesting hotels, shops and restaurants and was one of the better stops on a road trip that included all the Parks and NMs you mentioned above. There was a town in CO (can't recall its name) we stopped at on that same trip that had some of Moab's vibe - aging hippies, a slew of bad-to-mediocre art galleries (and a couple of good ones) and decent restaurants.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    There was a town in CO (can't recall its name) we stopped at on that same trip that had some of Moab's vibe - aging hippies, a slew of bad-to-mediocre art galleries (and a couple of good ones) and decent restaurants.
    Sounds like Salida.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • truco7mateotruco7mateo Senior Member Posts: 192 Senior Member
    Jamespio wrote: »

No doubt Utah is changing... a little. I still drive around it if I am able.:p speaking of airstreams, I had to go hunt for a part for my boat the other day and ended up next door to the airstream dealer in Nampa. Those things sure are shiney! **** near blind a man.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,424 Senior Member
    If I follow your route
    you travelled much of the backdrop for one of my fav movies.....Jeremiah Johnson

Oh Boy...do you know how to skin Grizz??
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Did you hike up Angel's landing?
    Ouzel, I did the hike up to Scout's Lookout, and started up the final portion to Angel's Landing. When my 11 y-o daughter wanted to turn back it provided a very convenient excuse for me to turn back, also. My son, however, finished the climb. While I suppose I couldn't really argue too muach with rating that last bit a class 4 scramble, I also don't think anyone could argue with rating it a 5.0. I don't think fully rational people should climb that without protection. And I know that dam few would be able to climb it without the fixed chain aids.
    No doubt Utah is changing... a little. I still drive around it if I am able.:p speaking of airstreams, I had to go hunt for a part for my boat the other day and ended up next door to the airstream dealer in Nampa. Those things sure are shiney! **** near blind a man.

Yeah that's right by my house. Took a look, didn't see anything like what Pio wants.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.