Pop Quiz

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,694 Senior Member
Whence comes "Spiro, he dance no more on the heads of punks."?

And why not?
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,694 Senior Member
    OK, here's a hint from his NYT obituary.

...By then Mr. X was the practiced flash point of the Y Administration, a target of charges that he was incendiary and even racist in some of his flinty remarks in which he spoke of ''Polacks'' and a ''fat ****.''

The single X quotation that lives on in the 16th edition of Bartlett's ''Familiar Quotations'' was uttered in 19xx when Mr. X, a suburban-rooted politician campaigning as the ticket's urban expert, feistily defended his skirting some of the sorrier American scenes by declaring: ''To some extent, if you've seen one city slum you've seen them all.''...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,325 Senior Member
    I googled it and it comes from some guy named George on a fly fishing forum.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Only if I knew the answer, would I be worried...

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    I only know one Spiro and he was a politician. The VP?? Sounds like something he would say.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,694 Senior Member
    This one is too esoteric I guess, although I am surprised that some of the older guys do not remember Radio Dinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBiqkkkTYMk&list=PL540761B1853EA457&index=9 at about the 3:00 minute mark.

Another good clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Lll_tndUc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.