Spey Guy, Maybe

ricinusricinus Senior MemberPosts: 6,214 Senior Member
I bought a rod..I bought a reel..I bought a line.. Lessons sched for May.. I'm goin' be ready for Steel..

Mike
My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    You won't go back willingly. Your single-hander will feel like a toy after spey casting.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,288 Senior Member
    Nice. In 2-1/2 weeks our steel season opens in northern WI.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I'm fortunate to be a days drive to Bulkley/Skeena Drainage. Pacific Salmon and Steelhead starting in spring and extending into late fall. Double hauling a 9wt was getting tiring, so the Spey had to happen..

Mike
    Yeah, that's ****. A spey is so much better. And not just for distance. its nice to be able to change direction.
    I'm liking the idea of minimal backcast, I can see where that would really handy..still not sure of landing a fishing without help though..

Mike
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,288 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I'm liking the idea of minimal backcast, I can see where that would really handy..still not sure of landing a fishing without help though..

Mike

Just bring friend along. You go stand in woods and hold rod out while friend nets fish.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Mike

just beach the fish. That's the way to handle them. I never use a net while using a two-hander.
    Pretty much all Steelheading up here is C&R, so beaching is a no-no. I never use a net either, preferring to tail the fish and drop the rod in the water to free up my hands. I will admit this has led to some lively situations with a hot fish...

Mike
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,827 Senior Member

Mike

The classic way to land a sizable fish is to get in the river and stand behind it when it is played out. Grasp it near the tail and push while lifting the rod. There probably are videos out there demonstrating the technique.

How big are the rivers you guys fish? Spey casting with a one-handed rod is effective if you don't need to have a lot of line out. The Lake Erie tribs I fish are too small to need a two-handed rod in most places, but one-handed Spey casts are useful when you are backed up against a shale cliff.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    The rivers are a real hodge-podge of size, speed and bottoms. The one handed spey would be really useful and I think once I have the lessons, hopefully that will come too.. I'll snope around on Youtube for that tailing techinque, but a lot of the fish are too big to get a good grip around the tail.. Nice problem to have!!

The other nice thing about two handers is not having to wade out.. Not quite as comfortable as I used to be...

Mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file