Home The Lodge

So.... What is a Rheumatologist?

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 10,585 Senior Member
Been referred to one. I have completely collapsed arches and have always had pain in my ankles, but about 5 years ago it started affecting my knees. Lots of stinging pain in the interior of both knees.

Went to the latest orthopedic guy and he said my soft tissues are so elastic, that surgery wouldn't be a viable option. I wasn't really seeking surgery to begin with, but wanted to make sure I wasn't ruining my knees so that when I'm forty I have to have complete knee replacement surgery.

He asked me if I had any heart trouble and I said no, except I have mitral valve prolapse and regurgitation and shortness of breath associated with it. He referred me to a rheumatologist because he said there are a couple of issues that show up with overly elastic soft tissues and heart troubles that he wanted to rule out.

All this because of bad ankles.

Replies

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    wear knee pads from now on...

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    They study soft tissue, such as in joints.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    Jamespio wrote: »
    They study soft tissue, such as in joints.

lol

Just wondering what the heck is the link between heart "issues" and soft tissue elasticity.
    I don't know. Perhaps you should ask a rheumatologist.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,276 Senior Member
    You'd be surprised at what the eye doctor or dentist can link to during a routine eye or dental exam.

A lot of crap connected in our bodies that give indications of other problems not even associated with eyes or teeth.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Jamespio wrote: »
    I don't know. Perhaps you should ask a rheumatologist.

I'd rather ask you.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    With any luck you'll be able to play golf as well as Phil Mickelson.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    Buffco wrote: »
    I'd rather ask you.

Who wouldn't? But I think you mikght have a hard time getting a meaningful answer. If tha tmatters to you, which it might not.
    Been referred to one. I have completely collapsed arches and have always had pain in my ankles, but about 5 years ago it started affecting my knees. Lots of stinging pain in the interior of both knees.

Went to the latest orthopedic guy and he said my soft tissues are so elastic, that surgery wouldn't be a viable option. I wasn't really seeking surgery to begin with, but wanted to make sure I wasn't ruining my knees so that when I'm forty I have to have complete knee replacement surgery.

He asked me if I had any heart trouble and I said no, except I have mitral valve prolapse and regurgitation and shortness of breath associated with it. He referred me to a rheumatologist because he said there are a couple of issues that show up with overly elastic soft tissues and heart troubles that he wanted to rule out.

All this because of bad ankles.

How old are you? I'm trying to figure out my death pool points.
    He's like 29-30. Young pup. An actuarial lodestar.
    32. And in excellent health otherwise. 185 lbs, 6'1", non smoker.

I should be worth quite a bit in your pool. You could always bet on a speeding semi or a slip in the bathtub.
    Hell, you sound like crap.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,372 Senior Member
    Did you play football?
    creekguy wrote: »
    Did you play football?

No. And despite the multitude of lovers I've had, I am STD free.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I'm surprised they missed your most blatant disease: Ginger.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Well, you're big enough to hollow out and make a drift boat, so can I have the corpse?
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,679 Senior Member
    They deal mainly with arthritis, of which there are two broad types. Osteoarthritis is wear and tear/injuries, autoimmune types of arthritis are the body's immune system attacking the joints it is supposed to protect. MS, lupus, Hashimoto's disease and psoriasis also are autoimmune diseases. Inflammation is a common symptom.

Most of these conditions can be be well controlled by medication.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    George K wrote: »
    They deal mainly with arthritis, of which there are two broad types. Osteoarthritis is wear and tear/injuries, autoimmune types of arthritis are the body's immune system attacking the joints it is supposed to protect. MS, lupus, Hashimoto's disease and psoriasis also are autoimmune diseases. Inflammation is a common symptom.

Most of these conditions can be be well controlled by medication.

Oh, I forgot... I have psoriasis, too. 4 spots. One at the top of the crack, one on both sides of the package, on one on the side of my left hand.

I don't know how this affects my standing in Steven's death pool.

(Thanks, George.)
    yatahey wrote: »
    Well, you're big enough to hollow out and make a drift boat, so can I have the corpse?

Smithsonian has dibs on my corpse. I'm thinking they're going with a modern "David" theme.
    Oh, I forgot... I have psoriasis, too. 4 spots. One at the top of the crack, one on both sides of the package, on one on the side of my left hand.

Are these spots mayonnaise colored? Might be something else based on their geography.
    Red, angry looking, with flaking skin and itches like a mother.

Had a hot chick dermatologist look at the crack once. I mentioned the balls, and she asked if I wanted her to look at that, too. I had to refrain from saying, "F*** yes, I do." I replied with a shrug and a, "Sure." and then dropped trou.

She was very gentle.

This is a Hextall True Story.
    I had a vasectomy a few years ago, and my doctor was at least 140 years old. And he didn't wear gloves when doing the procedure. I didn't mind.
    Hextall wrote: »
    I had a vasectomy a few years ago, and my doctor was at least 140 years old. And he didn't wear gloves when doing the procedure. I didn't mind.

That made me erect.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,995 Senior Member
    Oh, I forgot... I have psoriasis, too. 4 spots. One at the top of the crack, one on both sides of the package...
    you sure you are STD free? Might not be psoriasis.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    Nah, he said I was his first.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    159 views on this thread? Seriously??
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    159 views on this thread? Seriously??

I win at life.
    I give both ouzel and buffy props for making me laugh.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    I just want that Brian D's Mom thread to sink into oblivion. That was .003 seconds that I'll never get back.
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    I just want that Brian D's Mom thread to sink into oblivion. That was .003 seconds that I'll never get back.

If you didn't get past the opening intro screen, you haven't lived. Please tell me you saw her rubbing the lotion on the belly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement