Home The Lodge

Ford EcoSPort

mini-sized SUV built on the Ford Fiesta frame

gets 54 miles to the gallon

not available in the US nor will be for any time in the forseeable future

makes perfect sense

'Support the Troops' and get me mah Dilbit!

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,684 Senior Member
    Tiny, and built to Brazilian and Indian safety standards. No thanks.

A European Focus hatch with a turbo-Diesel and six speed manual does almost as well on mpg and is safer, comfortable and fun to drive. (We rented one for three weeks last year in Italy).

Almost all the European and Japanese cars sold here are sold as Diesels in Europe (where Diesel cost less than gas), and most are clean enough to meet U.S. specs.

Why they aren't sold here except for some Benz, Bimmer and VW models is hard to understand.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,280 Senior Member
    It's called U.S. emissions regulations on diesel engines. The Ecosport doesn't qualify to run in this country with a diesel engine. With a gas engine, the Ecosport only gets ~43 mpg.

If government would get out of the way, we could have many cars with gas mileage like that. ;)
    Check out the gas mileage on VW UK...

78.5 mpg and 68.9 mpg on a VW Jetta with TDI diesel engines.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/jetta-vi/which-model/engines/overview

Can't be sold in the U.S. though because they won't meet emissions regulations. Gas mileage goes down when they are modified to meet U.S. regs.
    Lots of Eurodiesels will comply with U.S. specs, some without diesel exhaust fluid in lighter cars. For example, the Jetta and Passat TDIs use the same motor, but the Jetta does not need the fluid while the Passat does.

We measure emissions of certain gasses, they measure emission of carbon by weight. I'm not sure which - if either - is better (greener).
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    A friend of mine has a Jetta diesel. Claims 49 mpg with it. Same car in europe is 78.5 mpg.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Tiny, and built to Brazilian and Indian safety standards. No thanks.

I need space for hauling surgical implants and instruments around and just about that much will do

could use even 43 mpg over my current 26 ... cutting my fuel costs in half would add significantly to the bottomline

I wouldn't get one for camping fishing etc

and Joe maybe my math is wrong but Ford's website said 22.7 km/L and the conversion website came up with the figure I posted
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,314 Senior Member
    Main things keeping usually keeping such vehicles out of the US market are:
    1. Different safety standards.
    2. Different emissions standards.
    3. Different levels of sound deadening (less).

To get them up to our standards causes a decrease in fuel mileage due to increased weight and/or decreased engine efficiency.
    monkeydoes wrote: »

and Joe maybe my math is wrong but Ford's website said 22.7 km/L and the conversion website came up with the figure I posted

With diesel engine sure. I can agree with that.

With gas though, 43 mpg.

Get a prius. Friend of mine over your way just bought a new 2013 and he's getting 51mpg
    not enough room for hauling stuff and the access in and out of the cargo area would be unfeasable ... some of this **** is really heavy
    joekrz wrote: »
    Check out the gas mileage on VW UK...

78.5 mpg and 68.9 mpg on a VW Jetta with TDI diesel engines.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/jetta-vi/which-model/engines/overview

Can't be sold in the U.S. though because they won't meet emissions regulations. Gas mileage goes down when they are modified to meet U.S. regs.

British and European mileage estimates are as optimistic as the EPA's and the Imperial gallon is 20% larger than ours. Still, with careful driving 50+mpg should be attainable.

Last year in Italy we averaged 45+ mpg with a Focus 1.4 td/6 speed manual in some city and a lot of mountain road driving. I was driving for fun not economy, so 50+ mpg would have been possible. Some stretches on flat autostradas did yield 50+ mpg.
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    not enough room for hauling stuff and the access in and out of the cargo area would be unfeasable ... some of this **** is really heavy

But think of all the chicks you could pick up with that thing.
    Microsoft_tech_support.jpg

Yes Sahib Monkey, We are working on that problem.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement