Home The Lodge

Doh! Somebody was indeed wrong

"While we have multiple sources of information corroborateing the use of tea party and other related criteria...we found no indication in any of these other materials that 'progressives' was a term used to refer cases for scrutiny for political campaign intervention," - Inspector General Russell George in a new letter to Congress.

According to George about 30% of of the total number of groups with the word "progress" or "progressive" in their names were tagged for extra review by the IRS between mid-2010 and mid-2012 compared with 100% of applicants with "tea party" in the name.

-WSJ

It's going to be quiet around here without all that ****.

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »

It's going to be quiet around here without all that ****.

No,, it won't be....

Soon we will learn that this is all just another big lie fabricated by, you guessed it,, the rightwads. Whatever the story, its always going to be the rightwads fault. Always. I don't know why you still bother to argue anymore.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Let me see if I can keep track here:
    Step 1: GOP -This is a giant scandal
    Step 2: Dems - Well, it is not, really.
    Step 3: Dems - it turns out it''s not a scandal at all because Issa fabricated it.
    Step 4: GOP - Well, sure, Issa fabricated it, but it looks like we might still be able to create a little bit of scandal here.
    Step 5: Everyone stops caring except Steven.
    Yesterday's Lib circle jerk would seem to suggest others haven't stopped caring. Let's try and follow along, shall we James?

And, if we use our reading skills, we find the IG saying there's an issue - unfabricated. Whether it's a scandal remains to be seen. We do know that two IRS officials took the 5th and this didn't start with junior bureaucrats in Cincinnati.

Nice try though.
    [/Not really, I was trying to say something positive]
    MikeA wrote: »
    No,, it won't be....

Soon we will learn that this is all just another big lie fabricated by, you guessed it,, the rightwads. Whatever the story, its always going to be the rightwads fault. Always. I don't know why you still bother to argue anymore.

Because it's fun, of course.

You're right though. They have tremendous forearm strength.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    So, Steven: Scalia is your guy, right?
    Nate Robinson is my guy.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    I don't follow hockey.
    Uhmmm. Clearly.
  • M1911A1M1911A1 Senior Member Posts: 136 Senior Member
    so someone at WSJ tried to walk it back a baby step!

good for you
    you deserve a gold elephant sticker for all yer hard work
    "Its like I always tell ya kid, you gotta fight when you think its the right thing to do. Otherwise, you feel like your guts full of ****. Even if you get the hell beat outta ya, if ya fight, ya feel ok about it."
    Uh huh. It's OK to quote the IG from Salon but not from the WSJ. We get it.

And James didn't believe anybody still cared.
    I bet Issa's parlor trick cost the taxpayers more than some over priced muffins.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,545 Senior Member
    Yesterday's Lib circle jerk would seem to suggest others haven't stopped caring. Let's try and follow along, shall we James?

And, if we use our reading skills, we find the IG saying there's an issue - unfabricated. Whether it's a scandal remains to be seen. We do know that two IRS officials took the 5th and this didn't start with junior bureaucrats in Cincinnati.

Nice try though.
    [/Not really, I was trying to say something positive]

We also have an IRS official who is a Republican that says he is the one who gave the instructions. You know what we do not have? Any evidence it started with the White House.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • M1911A1M1911A1 Senior Member Posts: 136 Senior Member
    post the link to the article rather than your selective clip

some good stuff

Levin criticized George for not revealing the involvement of progressive groups or the second set of screeners until now. He said George's report should have explored those avenues.

"The failure of the IG's audit to acknowledge these facts is a fundamental flaw in the foundation of the investigation and the public's perception of this issue," said Levin, using the abbreviation for inspector general.

Some progressive groups seeking tax-exempt status have complained about facing lengthy delays and detailed questions from the IRS.

some whiny junk:

But it has not yet been clearly shown that as many faced the same extent of mistreatment as conservative organizations. Dozens of conservative groups experienced delays of a year or more, and many received scores of detailed questions that officials have since said were overly intrusive, including demands for information about their donors.

lets review

the BOLO list had more that just "Progressive" on it

"Exempt Organizations" is the department at IRS that conducted investigations. make sense yet?

a group applies for tax exemption, they should be able to prove their eligibility

and nobody stops em from functioning durin the application and approval process BTW.

Go ahead and defend Issa if you want ,it sure wont add to yer argument ,hes just a whiny republican snake.
    "Its like I always tell ya kid, you gotta fight when you think its the right thing to do. Otherwise, you feel like your guts full of ****. Even if you get the hell beat outta ya, if ya fight, ya feel ok about it."
    No,, it won't be....

Explain to me how an investigation started by rightwads with unfounded accusations made by rightwads, with a rightwad head of the IRS and a rightwad who is taking responsibility for the lists themselves is not the fault of the rightwads? Meanwhile the rightwads cannot even pass a farm bill.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    No,, it won't be....

In other words, 'I have nothing factual to add to the discussion so I'll just stand here and hold Steven's jacket'
    there ya go with facts again

don't you know they don't matter? especially with someone who's never once been involved with financial statements for a 501c3 ... they just know how liberals ALL cheat and how whitie is gittin's kept down by dah man
    M1911A1 wrote: »

some good stuff

Levin criticized George for not revealing the involvement of progressive groups or the second set of screeners until now. He said George's report should have explored those avenues.

"The failure of the IG's audit to acknowledge these facts is a fundamental flaw in the foundation of the investigation and the public's perception of this issue," said Levin, using the abbreviation for inspector general.

Some progressive groups seeking tax-exempt status have complained about facing lengthy delays and detailed questions from the IRS.

some whiny junk:

But it has not yet been clearly shown that as many faced the same extent of mistreatment as conservative organizations. Dozens of conservative groups experienced delays of a year or more, and many received scores of detailed questions that officials have since said were overly intrusive, including demands for information about their donors.

lets review

the BOLO list had more that just "Progressive" on it

"Exempt Organizations" is the department at IRS that conducted investigations. make sense yet?

a group applies for tax exemption, they should be able to prove their eligibility

and nobody stops em from functioning durin the application and approval process BTW.

Go ahead and defend Issa if you want ,it sure wont add to yer argument ,hes just a whiny republican snake.
    We also have an IRS official who is a Republican that says he is the one who gave the instructions. You know what we do not have? Any evidence it started with the White House.

Yes, we have no evidence it started with the White House. That's why you have an investigation, to see where it started and why it started.

IRS showing political bias or being used as a political tool is dangerous. Even freaking Mother Jones was willing to say so at the start of this.
    it's not the presence of any evidence indicating wrong doing it's the accusation that matters
    Yes, we have no evidence it started with the White House. That's why you have an investigation, to see where it started and why it started.

IRS showing political bias or being used as a political tool is dangerous. Even freaking Mother Jones was willing to say so at the start of this.

Except we have an IRS official that says it started with him, nowhere else and he is a self-proclaimed conservative.

So apparently what you have is an investigation that started with an accusation and that accusation has continued despite evidence to the contrary and the head of the investigating committee claiming he has evidence that does not exist.

This is going to be just like White Water. $40 billion will be spent to find out an IRS official got a ****.

But I guess when your party has not had any ideas since 1979 and that idea has proven to be a complete and utter failure, you have nothing left.
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    In other words, 'I have nothing factual to add to the discussion so I'll just stand here and hold Steven's jacket'

Post of the year!
    M1911A1 wrote: »

Really? After all these years? Have I never been able to "show my work?"

Same story, not from the WSJ (because the WSJ can't be trusted, unlike Salon).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/06/27/ways-and-means-irs-werfel-tea-party/2461573/

Just so we're clear, it's not an issue of the BOLO, not anymore, since there seems to have been a BOLO on everything - although the Tea Party BOLO was first. It's the treatment that occurs and the fact that Washington wanted these [Tea Party] cases.

As for functioning, 501(c) organizations that are not certified by the IRS can operate but are seriously hampered in terms of donations.

Conservative and Liberal 501(c)(4) organizations were not treated equally by the IRS. Attack Republicans all you want, but facts -stubbornly - remain facts.
    the fact that Washington wanted these [Tea Party] cases.

Show your work.
    Conservative and Liberal 501(c)(4) organizations were not treated equally by the IRS. Attack Republicans all you want, but facts -stubbornly - remain facts.

how do we know this when the IG was ordered (by Issa) to only look at the application reviews of conservative groups (likely because he knew if the overall app processing was reviewed it would show what we now know .... there wasn't anything to see here)

the donation situation is only a problem if the application is rejected then handling of donations becomes retroactive ... none of them were ever prevented from operating as a non-profit while applications were pending
    Except we have an IRS official that says it started with him, nowhere else and he is a self-proclaimed conservative.

Boy, that's out of context. If you're referring to John Shafer, the manager of the Cincy office, it started with him when he noticed the very first Tea Party app. He was doing his job, but yeah, it "started" with him but the process came under the control of Washington.

Remember this?

http://forums.flyfisherman.com/showthread.php?9751-Who-is-Carter-Hull

Here's your work. I don't make **** up. There's never any need in this place.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324069104578527713122409302.html
    joekrz wrote: »
    I find it funny the IRS apologized...Ya know...cause they didn't do anything wrong and stuff...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/05/10/the-irss-big-admission-what-it-means/

"May 10, 2013 "

As the Cheese Flows
    Not a subscriber. But if I remember that was taken out of context and it was later confirmed that it was not started in the White House.

The quote I was able to find claimed Carter Hull oversaw her work, but not that it was done at his direction. Apparently he helped draft questions to determine whether or not these groups complied with the law. How is that nefarious?

This was all before Cummings released more of the transcripts proving what a tool Darrell Issa is.
    how do we know this when the IG was ordered (by Issa) to only look at the application reviews of conservative groups (likely because he knew if the overall app processing was reviewed it would show what we now know .... there wasn't anything to see here)

the donation situation is only a problem if the application is rejected then handling of donations becomes retroactive ... none of them were ever prevented from operating as a non-profit while applications were pending

Are you suggesting the IG is lying when he says Levin and Cummings misconstrued his last letter?

An organization needs money to operate. If it is less attractive (the handling of donations becomes retroactive) to give to an organization, then that organization is hurt.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,226 Senior Member
    "May 10, 2013 "

Whats the date got to do with it? The fact is they apologized for wrong doing and now they are apparently trying to back track that a month and half later. Give me a break.

As the water flows...Sky is blue...water is wet...move along...nothing to see here.

:rolleyes:
    Not a subscriber. But if I remember that was taken out of context and it was later confirmed that it was not started in the White House.

Not my problem, you're not a subscriber. Maybe you should be.

There has been no confirmation except the president saying, "not me."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement