Home The Lodge

A Question For Boiseans, And An Aside You Might Like

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 11,665 Senior Member
I've always heard Your Fair City pronounced boy-zee, but a friend whose first late wife (he has two deceased wives) was from there and says it is pronounced boy-see.

Which do you use?

BTW, my friend is an extremely interesting man. He and his first wife both were Navy docs. They were in Hiroshima and Nagasaki a few days after Japan's surrender to do the epidemiological studies - one conclusion was that radiation causes birth defects only if the exposure occurs during the first trimester. He later became a pediatric oncologist and taught at Northwestern, Harvard and another school. When he retired he bought a house on the LeTort in Carlisle, PA to devote himself to fly fishing. At age 93 he does not fish much anymore, but still lives independently, drives and is 100% cognitively. We have lunch once a week with another nonagenarian. It makes me feel young at 68. We're the last gasp of the once numerous LeTort Regulars. I met Charlie Fox once or twice, these guys fished with him, Marinaro and the like.

Small World addendum - My wife's ex was his student at Northwestern during his residency.
The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.

Replies

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement