Home The Lodge

If you get sued, do somethign about it

The best free legal advice you will ever get: if you are sued, defend yourself. That is all. If you don't defend yourself, YOU, nobody else, is responsible for the outcomes.

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Question to the lawyers... if I sue James for being a jerkwad... and he doesn't defend himself... what are the chances I'll win? I'd assume it would be less than 100% because my suit has no merit and just inately should be dismissed.

or does no defense always mean a guaranteed 100% loss?
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    It's called default. And if your complaint makes out a valid claim, for instance, if you simply said, without evidence that by calling you a jerkwad I defamed you and caused you damages, and I did not respond, you would have a 100% chance of winning.
    thanks... I had no idea that would be the chance.

By the way... I agree with you about the comedian in Canada. He should have defended himself and he's a dillweed for not doing it.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    James called me a jerk and defamed me. My lawyer is writing a letter.

(James, don't defend this.....)
    James, you can call me as a witness.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    thanks... I had no idea that would be the chance.

By the way... I agree with you about the comedian in Canada. He should have defended himself and he's a dillweed for not doing it.

If he did not have the money to fly to Vancouver, how was he to do that?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

His legs painted on?
    I do not know what that means.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    James, you can call me as a witness.

Yes, PLEASE call Hextall as a witness.
    As your attorney, you have only one recourse:

tumblr_lmv77hy05P1qeoixdo1_400.jpg

He had a lawyer who was there, but the lawyer walked out claiming the tribunal was "in contempt." How exactly did he manage to get a lawyer there, but be unable to get there himself? And I could have defended this case even without my client being present. Surely Earle knew who else was present that night, he was MCing the event. The bar owner was also being sued, his staff would have been there, and they wouldn't need to fly to Vancouver, they live there.

Sorry, Chris, lame excuses for not putting on a defense.
    So are you saying without meeting him that you are a better lawyer than Earle had, do you know exactly how high the cards were stacked against him and you could win? You should contact him and offer to handle his appeal.
    No, I am not saying I am a better lawyer, I am saying that if the lawyer had actually wanted to win the case, I believe he could have done so. What I know of how he handled the case leads me to believe that he wanted to make a name for himself rather than actually win the case.

As to handling Earle's appeal, the case has no been completely screwed at the trial level, you don't get to fix your own mistakes on appeal, that's not what it's for, and that is why if you get sued, do something about it.
    How the hell is losing a case going to help that lawyer's reputation?
    He hoped to make a name for himself by fighting the injustice of an unconstitutional statute. He miscalculated to his client's detriment.
    Well if he thought this
    but the lawyer walked out claiming the tribunal was "in contempt."
    would accomplish that, then he is an idiot.
    What's does a lawyer and a **** cell have in common?

Each has a one in a million chance of becoming a human being.
    Good thing you are not in Canada

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement