Home The Lodge

Speech is Regulated

That is all. That is point number one. Speech is often regulated, in a myriad of ways.

(Obviously, I quit caring about spelling again, if someone cares to fix my thread titles, feel free.)

Replies

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Nobody is saying it shouldn't be regulated. Most of us are saying all speech shouldn't be regulated.

I shouldn't be liable for calling you a jerkwad no matter how much your feelings are hurt.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    I never said you should be. I said speech is often regulated. Any more strawmen?
    Jamespio wrote:
    Any more strawmen?

Yes, the one you just built. Where did I say that you think I should be liable for the example I gave?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,546 Senior Member
    Jamespio wrote: »
    I never said you should be. I said speech is often regulated. Any more strawmen?

Bull Spit, You said speech was hurtful. You said that Canada has decided rightly that speech meant to harm someone should be regulated.
    You should be permitted to harm someone because it interferes with you telling jokes?

Not sure you're going to sell that position. Canadian law recognzes the significant harm that can be done to another person with words alone. Guy Earle should have remembered that.
    There should be a law against using words to hurt people, just as there is a law against using baseball bats to hurt people.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    (Obviously, I quit caring about spelling again, if someone cares to fix my thread titles, feel free.)

I fixed it, but your spelling dysfunction is what makes you so endearing.

:)

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

I think spoeech is the correct way to spell it in Canada.
    Meanwhile while we are worried about the "significant harm" that can be done with jokes. People are being actually harmed with bullets and bombs in Libya and Syria and we wonder why they hate us.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    we wonder why they hate us.

woah... let's slow down here. "Us" now includes Canada?

I might have to take another look at Al Queda's platforms if they hate Canada too.
    that's fair, comic. I DID indeed say that people should be liable for the harm they do even when it is done solely with words. A few examples include: sexual and racial harassment in the workplace and in places of public accommodation (oh, wait, we already do make people liable for that); providing material support to terrorists (oops, that one is already the law too); causing riots (yep, that's a crime almost everywhere); disclosing confidential information (oh, darn, somebody beat me to that); verbal abuse of minors (shoot, that's criminal everywhere except Mississippi, I think). Yeah, I can see how my position was so totally unreasonable now.
    No you were pretty much defending what happened to this comic for most of the thread even as much as you are trying to back away from it now.

Again show me where posting words has ever been convicted as providing material support for terrorists. I think you pulled that one out of somewhere dark and stinky.
    I was only defending Canada, not what happened to this comic. And I was only defending Canada in the sense that I think people of good faith can differ in where they draw the line on protecting speech.

As to you second paragraph, the poor man's name was Sami al-Hussayen. Unlike Guy Earle, he put up a defense and was acquitted, but it was a very close thing. Friends of mine worked on the defense.
    Again show me where posting words has ever been convicted as providing material support for terrorists.
    JamesPio wrote:
    he put up a defense and was acquitted

I saw this episode on Law and Order.
    Oops, I missed that. Convicted, huh? let me think about it, I used to actually track some of the terrorism cases just for fun.
    Case Dismissed.

[bong BONG!]
    So do you agree with me that it is a stupid law or do you think Canada did the right thing?
    I don't think the law is stupid. I think this case is stupid, but I think that is the result of Guy Earle's choices, not the result of the law. He could easily have won this case if he even tried at the tribunal level.

Have you actually read the statute involved? I have, it simply prohibits discrimination in the provision of public accomodations and services. Very similar to the U.S. Civil Rights Act of 1965, and I definitely do NOT think that is stupid.

I do think that letting hecklers get damages from comics they heckle is stupid, but I blame Guy Earle for that, and so should you.
    Well you got me there. I thought the law prohibited him from making fun of her because she was gay.

So now I am confused as to why the suit was allowed in the first place.
    Hextall wrote: »
    I think spoeech is the correct way to spell it in Canada. A

fixerated for back bacon accuracy.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    This thread is unspeakable.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    This should pretty much sum up anything related to Canada

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

yatahey wrote: »
    This thread is unspeakable.

This thread is made of the love that dare not speak its name.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement