The Washington Redskins

1234568»

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,298 Senior Member
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2013/05/09/native-americans-washington-mascot-fight/2148877/
    WASHINGTON -- Amanda Blackhorse has never met Daniel Snyder, but she's thought about what she might say to him if she ever does.

"I'd ask him, 'Would you dare call me a ****, right here, to my face?' " she says. "And I suspect that, no, he would not do that."

Blackhorse is Navajo and a psychiatric social worker and the named plaintiff in Blackhorse et al v. Pro-Football Inc., a federal suit in which a group of five American Indians seek to strip the federal trademark rights from the football team Snyder owns.

http://www.sportsfilter.com/news/13480/native-americans-ask-supreme-court-sack
    The battle of the Washington Redskins' team name has reached the U.S. Supreme Court, but don't worry, you probably won't have to tape over the Redskins' logo on your favorite jersey anytime soon.

Lawyers for a group of Native Americans filed a petition for certiorari in the case that has bounced around courtrooms for years, according to Legal Times. The Native American group claims that the name "Redskins" is a derogatory term for Indians. They want the Redskins trademark, which was issued in 1967, canceled.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/191809/INDIANS-PROTEST-AT-REDSKINS-GAME.html?pg=all
    A dozen Native Americans protested peacefully outside RFK stadium before the Houston Oilers-Washington Redskins game as part of their campaign to get Washington to change its nickname.

The group at Sunday's game, which included members of the American Indian Movement and the Congress of American Indians, banged on drums, recited Indian chants, and carried signs that read "The Team Has a Racist Nickname" and "If I'm a Redskins, Jack Kent Cooke is a ****."Cooke, the Redskins owner, and other team officials maintain that the term "****" speaks to the proud, loyal heritage of Native Americans. But the Indian groups maintain the term is derogatory and racist.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/spenc175/3101newsfall07/2007/10/native_americans_hold_protest.html
    Native Americans from Wisconsin tribes gathered at Lambeau field Sunday protesting the nickname and logo of the Washington Redskins. Redskins is a particularly offensive term versus something like the Atlanta Braves or Cleveland Indians.
    "It was always used as a disparaging term. It represented genocide of whole tribes. It represents the worst of the worst," said Clif Morton, a New London resident who organized a conference this weekend to take on race-based stereotypes.
    The issue of Native American mascots is being talked about more right now because of a state hearing on the matter set for this week.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-02-16/local/37131410_1_indian-names-and-mascots-tayac-redskins
    The only morally defensible argument for keeping the name of Washington’s professional football team is that people (like me) who wish to replace “Redskins” are supposedly exaggerating the problem because of political correctness run wild.

In this view, the name’s critics are just a small group of overly vocal, overly sensitive Native Americans backed by a knee-jerk chorus of guilt-ridden, non-Indian liberals.

I don’t think the case stands up, but the argument deserves to be addressed. That’s true especially given the recent surge of interest in the topic and the team’s attempt to dismiss complaints about the name as “ludicrous.”

The strongest argument for keeping the name is that Native Americans themselves aren’t unanimous in objecting to what Indian critics call the “R-word.”

“It doesn’t bother me one bit. There are other issues that we should be concerned about,” said George Blanchard, governor of the Absentee Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma, which counts about 3,000 members.

Some members of Blanchard’s tribe send their children to McLoud High School, whose team is also called the Redskins. The Washington team has pointed to the McLoud nickname as evidence that the word was acceptable to Native Americans.

However, other chiefs and national Indian leaders said the number of Native Americans who share Blanchard’s view has declined with time. Most Indians would prefer to see the Redskins name discarded, they said.

“If it went through a vote [of Indians], I think it would be overwhelming to drop it. I’ve always thought the word [Redskins] was very offensive,” said George Tiger, chief of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation, which is also based in Oklahoma and has 75,000 members.
    “If the team had another name related to black folks, that stadium would be on fire,” Billy Redwing Tayac said. “Redskins is a racial slur for North American Indians.”
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    RG III will lead them to Super Bowl win.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    bakerloo, we already knew about you, so this post is not accomplishing the goals.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    what's up niggahs
  • FlykuniFlykuni Senior Member Posts: 799 Senior Member
    Oh bow down to the word of the pale of face and of butt. What do you me 'we,' kemosabe?
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,852 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    what's up niggahs

Perhaps a fitting end...

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.