The Washington Redskins

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Hextall wrote: »
    I don't think this is true. I think there would be plenty of people bent out of shape if the redskins name was changed.

Exactly, they value their own **** (because htat's all it is, it is literally nothing more than "I don't waaaaannntt it to change!")more than they value NOT using the native american analog for "N__ger." That's what I'm saying is pretty effed up.
    George K wrote: »
    Don't get this thread started on **** jokes, it's still interesting as is.

Just ban Yat for a day.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,891 Senior Member
    ...I think way more people were psyched that the "Browns" returned to Cleveland. I dont' think there's a brown's fan on earth that thinks the Ravens are the browns (and why would they... they despise the owner and want nothign to do with that team anymore that they got the "Browns" back).

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in Baltimore who does not believe that the Ravens should really be the Colts.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Don't get this thread started on **** jokes, it's still interesting as is.

So as long as we're only using epithets offensive to native maericans, it's an "interesting" thread, but if we start using epithets that apply to people with light-colored skin, that's a bad thing.

George, can you even recognize that prejudice against native americans is the last frontier of publicly accepted racial discrimination in AMerica? It's STILL okay in America to say "****," when "****," "boy," "****," "slant," "****," "****," even "****" and "****" are no longer acceptable in polite conversation, and would NEVER be used as names for a business seeking broad public appeal.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    So who are these people deciding that redskins is racist and derogatory?

I'm one of them. Are you saying it's not?
    Steven wrote: »
    There isn't a single economic reason to change the ****'s name and Dan Snyder and the NFL know it.

What? There would be way more merchandise sold if they changed their name.
    Jamespio wrote: »
    So as long as we're only using epithets offensive to native maericans, it's an "interesting" thread, but if we start using epithets that apply to people with light-colored skin, that's a bad thing.

George, can you even recognize that prejudice against native americans is the last frontier of publicly accepted racial discrimination in AMerica? It's STILL okay in America to say "****," when "****," "boy," "****," "slant," "****," "****," even "****" and "****" are no longer acceptable in polite conversation, and would NEVER be used as names for a business seeking broad public appeal.

James,

Er, a J A P is a Jewish-American Princess, as in:

Q- How many J A Ps does it take to change a light bulb"? A - Just one, to call Daddy.
    or
    Q - What are the three words a J A P will never hear? A- Attention K-Mart Shoppers.
    Jamespio wrote: »
    Exactly, they value their own ****

You sound exactly like the folk that tell the people offended by various sports names to ****.

**** and offended appear to be different sides of the same coin.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,762 Senior Member
    So who are these people deciding that redskins is racist and derogatory?

Injuns....
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member
    I'm one of them. Are you saying it's not?

Yes I am.

The definition of the word today doesn't have the same meaning as to what it may have meant many years ago.

Do you personally know anyone that uses the word "redskins" in discriminatory, racist or belittling manner?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,762 Senior Member
    Tell me what is the definition of **** today?

Do you know someone that uses the term **** for something other than potatoes?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Yes I am.

Then we're done here. You don't have the sack to walk up to a native american and call them a ****.

You're a clown.
    Problem solved - keep the name, change the logo:

You sound exactly like the folk that tell the people offended by various sports names to ****.

**** and offended appear to be different sides of the same coin.

I think that's silly. You think that "I don't like being called or hearing you call others a racial epithet," is just the other side of the coin of "I don't want the name of my preferred business to change?" I think those two statements are on entirely different substantive levels.
    I like your thinking George. :D

Problem solved - keep the name, change the logo:

That would work. As would
    red_skin_peanuts_40_50_50_60.jpg

You're a clown.

I'm offended. That isn't PC. ;)

Actually, it's the clowns that should be offended.
  • FlykuniFlykuni Senior Member Posts: 799 Senior Member
    I tell my daughter she's a **** all the time.

I can say that. You can't.

You should hear what she calls me, oh no, that was yo mama. Hey, we're kiddin' heayah.
    Actually, it's the clowns that should be offended.

You ever see Shakes the Clown?

Now that's funny.

Someone gave me the DVD, but then took it back.
    The politically in-correct term for that is Indian Giver.

Well played. I see what you did there.

A new term must be found for that sort of behavior. Someone is offended by that terminology...needs to be removed from Merriam Webster.

What? There would be way more merchandise sold if they changed their name.

I really doubt it. Merchandising is split evenly with the other teams in the league I believe, and it would be the height of hyprocripsy to sell stuff that's already on order, so that would be a loss, albeit shared.

Hard core fans aren't going to upgrade until old stuff wears out or players leave the organization. They'd need new gear anyway. Young or new fans would simply be a wash unless the argument is that they're turned off by Redskins name.

Meanwhile, the costs of re-branding would be significant. Certainly in the tens of millions; maybe more.

Snyder's a businessman. I understand he grew up a Redskins fan, but if there was money to be made, he'd change the name in a heartbeat.

As I pointed out earlier, the Blackhawks absolutely refuse to get rid of the Indian logo. There's no money in it.
    Flykuni wrote: »
    You should hear what she calls me, oh no, that was yo mama..

What? Mr. Gardener?

Just kidding too. Too hard to pass up.
    So I looked it up... one estimate to change the name would cost the Redskins somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 million.

Interesting article about trying to establish the cost to switch the name:
    http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/42640844/
    So I looked it up... one estimate to change the name would cost the Redskins somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 million.

Interesting article about trying to establish the cost to switch the name:
    http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/42640844/

That got a little long. I read about half of it. I'd guess that $20m is a low estimate. I'm in the process of covering a company going through a name change. It's going to run $35m over the next two years.
    That got a little long. I read about half of it. I'd guess that $20m is a low estimate. I'm in the process of covering a company going through a name change. It's going to run $35m over the next two years.

From that article:
    The exact price of a nickname change is hard to estimate -- in part because the teams and schools that have switched monikers typically haven't shared their costs publicly; in part because unaffiliated sports branding and marketing experts don't have access to the proprietary team financial data needed to calculate a number. That said, it's possible to make a reasonable, educated guess. In 2010, Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan told Charlotte Observer writer Scott Fowler that it would cost him between $3 million and $10 million to change the team's little-loved nickname. (NBA insiders say Jordan's estimate is accurate). A source with knowledge of financial operations in professional football estimates that the cost for a "significant NFL team" might be as high as "$10 million to $20 million." Where does the money go? Think naming consultants. (Someone has to come up with replacement monikers, like "Warriors" and "Pigskins.") Think lawyers. (Someone has to vet those same names, a tedious affair; according to New York-based brand expert Allen Adamson, "for every ten names you think of, nine are going to be unavailable.") Think having to revamp every single thing -- from stadium signs to uniform patches to front office stationary to the pixels in "Madden NFL" -- featuring a team logo or nickname.

Contrast that with the $36 million Synder gave Albert Haynesworth... and I'm not so sure we can qualify Dan Synder as successful... at least with respect to being a professional sports business person. Therefore your statement that if he could have made money switching names he would have is suspect.
  • FlykuniFlykuni Senior Member Posts: 799 Senior Member
    I've actually thot of starting a Yuppie/Hipster-focused custom gardening biz, it'd kill big time. Really, really expensive work for the discerning urban resident, like the great Japanese gardening of the old days but improved. Because the Japanese gardener is gone, in their place are blow-and-go guys who really don't know how to garden.
    I read the $10 million to $20 million and like I said, I bet it's low. If it's going to run an insurance company $35 million in rebranding (and the company's got decent name recognition, not great), then something like the Redskins should cost more.

As for his economic prowess, I'm thinking shlubbubs like us should probably give him the benefit of the doubt. He may not know athletes but let's figure, given he's worth how many hundreds of millions, he understands debits and credits.
    Flykuni wrote: »
    I've actually thot of starting a Yuppie/Hipster-focused custom gardening biz, it'd kill big time. Really, really expensive work for the discerning urban resident, like the great Japanese gardening of the old days but improved. Because the Japanese gardener is gone, in their place are blow-and-go guys who really don't know how to garden.

I'd hire you, but make sure you've got a Mexican to do the pool.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.