The Washington Redskins

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,645 Senior Member
    tim_s wrote: »
    i was going to call you on this the moment you typed it, but figured i'd let reality slap you in the face first

pitt was a good regular season team......and beneficiary of playing a young islander team and a decent but dinged up ottawa team......easy draw

they are not built for playoff hockey.....their D is mediocre at best, and neither goalie is starter quality

the bruins are better in all 3 zones in the playoffs......they cycle and grind in the zone better, they don't turn the puck over, and both their forwards and defensemen can actually play D.....Letang is an offensive defenseman for sure.....but it is a joke that he's a Norris finalist

looking forward to an original 6 finals

Yep, the Bruins know how to play some playoff hockey. Honestly, I don't totally agree that the Pens are solely "built" for the regular season, I think they are "coached" for the regular season. They have enough talent and grit to play quality hockey in May and June but Dan Bylsma's system has been proven ineffective for 4 straight years.
    Not only will he be gone, but many, many players should the Pens not pull off a miracle (and I don't see that happening).
    Letang can play physical and is good in his own end at times, so once again it is a coaching/system problem. If he had not been injured a few times this season there would have been no contest for the Norris.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    Flykuni wrote: »
    ...leave your nubile, pale daughters.
    only if you leave us the sisters with epicanthic folds. love-1.gif
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • FlykuniFlykuni Senior Member Posts: 799 Senior Member
    Oh you, you.....invader.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Yep, the Bruins know how to play some playoff hockey. Honestly, I don't totally agree that the Pens are solely "built" for the regular season, I think they are "coached" for the regular season. They have enough talent and grit to play quality hockey in May and June but Dan Bylsma's system has been proven ineffective for 4 straight years.
    Not only will he be gone, but many, many players should the Pens not pull off a miracle (and I don't see that happening).
    Letang can play physical and is good in his own end at times, so once again it is a coaching/system problem. If he had not been injured a few times this season there would have been no contest for the Norris.

you can coach a guy like malkin all you wan't, but he'll never be a two way player....

did you see his attempt at a backcheck on an odd many break the other night? he did a half assed fly by, whiffed, and then stood around.....that's not from coaching, just lack of desire.....you have to want to play in both ends.....maybe they've tuned him out, who knows, but that's not "system", that's lazy

maybe they keep the players, find a goalie and sign torts for that short term burst? lol

the bruins have a team of guys who want to play at both ends of the ice (even a kid like seguin, who is still learning how, made some decent defensive plays

sad to say my favorite pen right now is matt cooke, and i hate that guy......at least he plays hockey, albeit a marginally controlled game....crosby has turned into the biggest whiner i've ever seen....he makes the sedin twins look like eddie shore for crying out loud

disagree on letang......he's always been marginal in the zone at best......he's a solid skater, a good offensive guy, can carry the puck up and is excellent on the point......but to me the Norris needs to go to a guy who is primarily a defenseman first...

i will concede that danny is getting schooled by claude, though......he's gonna do something desperate tonight, maybe even malkin/crosby as a regular line, which isn't a terrible idea.....might force the B's defensive eggs into one basket and free up the 2 & 3 lines a little.....

i would have to think vokoun gets the nod again? i'd really like to see them panic even more and start fleury......he always gives up a softy early
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,958 Senior Member
    Vikings all over the world are pissed. Minnesota should change their name.

Irishmen all over the world are pissed. Notre Dame should change their name.

Local high school had this same controversy a few years ago...The Tomahawk Hatchets...They ended up keeping the name.

This "political correctness" stuff has gotten way out of hand these days IMO.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    You see, wetdog, right there ^ is the perfect example of "political correctness" being used to mean "I don't like that" and nothing else.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,958 Senior Member
    No. It means it's gotten way out of hand these days.

Time for a name change for the Florida Seminoles also I suppose...

Maybe the military should rename it's Tomahawk missile...

Someone, somewhere is angry about this stuff. It's just not politically correct. :rolleyes:
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I think there's a lot of overboard stuff with political correctness... however the Redskins name is clearly racist, doesn't "honor" the race in anyway I can see, and should be changed.
    I've noticed that the onlyh time anyone ever complains about "political correctness" is when they are trying to deny that their or someone else's choice of words reflects prejudice. It might become the 21st century's version of "I have friends who are black."
    FWIW, Florida St. (not Florida) has the full backing and sanction of the Florida Seminole Tribe - even down to how their symbol, Chief Osceola, is dressed. The Florida Seminole nation actually provides the clothing.

Chief Osceola (some kid, not necessarily a Seminole) never gets off his horse and just sits there with his spear across his lap during the national anthem.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,749 Senior Member
    Jamespio wrote: »
    I've noticed that the onlyh time anyone ever complains about "political correctness" is when they are trying to deny that their or someone else's choice of words reflects prejudice. It might become the 21st century's version of "I have friends who are black."

There is some truth in what you say, but PC usage also tends to make language both bland and awkward in an attempt to avoid any appearance of judgement, not prejudice, or of offending anyone. Newspaper accounts of police arresting "sex workers" rather than "prostitutes" is an example of this.

One could argue that offering one's sexual favors for a fee is a perfectly fine thing to do and we should not stigmatize people who do so, or that many women are forced into doing so, but that does not mean they are not prostitutes. Actually, "sex worker" can be more offensive than "prostitute" because in implies willing participation. In many cases "sex slave" would be more appropriate.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    Flykuni wrote: »
    I am related to the First Peoples who walked the land bridge, and established the first sushi bars on the West Coast, ahem. We served beached whale when it was okay to do so.

Proof? It's in the shovel-shaped incisor. Bet the rest of yours are flat.

take your sushi bars with you...they are an abomination to all that is holy
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,389 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    In many cases "sex slave" would be more appropriate.

Are you arguing that this should be the politically correct term?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    .......Actually, "sex worker" can be more offensive than "prostitute" because in implies willing participation. In many cases "sex slave" would be more appropriate.

All this pc stuff all the ringing of hands and gnashing of teeth for those that are offended by "words" can go cry themselves to sleep or be even more offended by sex slavery, it is truly the most horrendous thing on this planet. And yet basically no one cares. there is nothing that destroys more lives and causes more suffering than sex slavery. Humans of all shades are affected....as victims, and those that own these women and men. People get upset by African warlords abducting children to fight and die, that is nothing in comparison to the hell known as sex slavery. They don't care about this in Africa, they don't care in Asia, Europe, or Northern and southern America. John Lennon was correct Woman is the "N" of the world. We like to blame the victim of ****---you've heard it all before, she asked for it by wearing that top,...we blame "prostitutes" (the sex slaves--or any) for not leaving the trade. People need education badly. Ah but they are only women. Males of all colors don't give a ****....until their daughters are taken and sold into slavery. It's pretty bad in the U.S....but it's, even worse in Japan...sorry Darrell it's just a fact.
    There is some truth in what you say, but PC usage also tends to make language both bland and awkward in an attempt to avoid any appearance of judgement, not prejudice, or of offending anyone. Newspaper accounts of police arresting "sex workers" rather than "prostitutes" is an example of this.

One could argue that offering one's sexual favors for a fee is a perfectly fine thing to do and we should not stigmatize people who do so, or that many women are forced into doing so, but that does not mean they are not prostitutes. Actually, "sex worker" can be more offensive than "prostitute" because in implies willing participation. In many cases "sex slave" would be more appropriate.

You might actually be missing the point, George. "Sex workers" is a broader category than prostitutes. It also carries slightly different connotations. Your newspaper might simply have been reporting more accurately than you are accustomed to, rather than trying to avoid the word "prostitute."

The following terms could all be used interchangeably, if you did not care about the precise use of language to express an idea:

prostitute
    ho
    hooker
    call-girl
    masseuse
    stripper
    dancer
    **** star
    fluffer
    street walker

All of those people (with the exception of legitimate masseuses who do not provide sexual favors) work in the "sex industry" and many of them can be called "sex workers." In addition, sex workers sometiems includes the various other people involved in making **** such as camera men, editors, directors, distributors, pimps, cam girls, phone sex operators and more.

On the other hand, the term "sex worker" really pisses off some feminists, and some social conservatives, so it can hardly be said to a "PC" choice of term.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,749 Senior Member
    Jamespio wrote: »
    You might actually be missing the point, George. "Sex workers" is a broader category than prostitutes. It also carries slightly different connotations. Your newspaper might simply have been reporting more accurately than you are accustomed to, rather than trying to avoid the word "prostitute."

The following terms could all be used interchangeably, if you did not care about the precise use of language to express an idea:

prostitute
    ho
    hooker
    call-girl
    masseuse
    stripper
    dancer
    **** star
    fluffer
    street walker

All of those people (with the exception of legitimate masseuses who do not provide sexual favors) work in the "sex industry" and many of them can be called "sex workers." In addition, sex workers sometiems includes the various other people involved in making **** such as camera men, editors, directors, distributors, pimps, cam girls, phone sex operators and more.

On the other hand, the term "sex worker" really pisses off some feminists, and some social conservatives, so it can hardly be said to a "PC" choice of term.

No, I meant specifically using "sex worker" as a euphemism for "prostitute". Police generally do not arrest strippers, dancers or **** stars as these are not illegal occupations in many jurisdictions. The other terms you note mostly are slang or colloquialisms for "prostitute". "Call-girl" and "street walker" describe how they obtain their clients, not the "essential duties" of their work.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    who cares about "some feminists?" objecting to the words instead of objecting to the situation or conditions, this is where peoples objections should be. Those feminists should just go home and watch House Hunters International or some other nonsense...if they aren't willing to fight the real fight.

sorry, after my last post, I couldn't help it.

"there is nothing that destroys more lives and causes more suffering than sex slavery."

but there is starvation (few care) and politics
    Wetdog wrote: »
    All this pc stuff all the ringing of hands and gnashing of teeth for those that are offended by "words" can go cry themselves to sleep or be even more offended by sex slavery, it is truly the most horrendous thing on this planet. And yet basically no one cares. there is nothing that destroys more lives and causes more suffering than sex slavery. Humans of all shades are affected....as victims, and those that own these women and men. People get upset by African warlords abducting children to fight and die, that is nothing in comparison to the hell known as sex slavery. They don't care about this in Africa, they don't care in Asia, Europe, or Northern and southern America. John Lennon was correct Woman is the "N" of the world. We like to blame the victim of ****---you've heard it all before, she asked for it by wearing that top,...we blame "prostitutes" (the sex slaves--or any) for not leaving the trade. People need education badly. Ah but they are only women. Males of all colors don't give a ****....until their daughters are taken and sold into slavery. It's pretty bad in the U.S....but it's, even worse in Japan...sorry Darrell it's just a fact.

No one cares about sex slavery? Have you ever watched MSNBC on a weekend? There are lots of documentaries and there are advocacy groups, police and government agencies working on the issue. The problem is there are some men that think that paying for sex is not a big issue. They do not care, but there are plenty of others that do.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    No, I meant specifically using "sex worker" as a euphemism for "prostitute". Police generally do not arrest strippers, dancers or **** stars as these are not illegal occupations in many jurisdictions. The other terms you note mostly are slang or colloquialisms for "prostitute". "Call-girl" and "street walker" describe how they obtain their clients, not the "essential duties" of their work.

BTW I still see the word prostitute used all the time. So I guess I am not seeing this as a big issue.
    No one cares about sex slavery? Have you ever watched MSNBC on a weekend? There are lots of documentaries and there are advocacy groups, police and government agencies working on the issue. The problem is there are some men that think that paying for sex is not a big issue. They do not care, but there are plenty of others that do.

I probably have seen most of them...though not on msnbc. And if you watch these shows you know that "No one" does care. That is why it continues. The neighbors living in a white middle class neighborhood in Cleavland who certainly notice guys coming into some house on their block at all hours of the day. They don't lift up their phones to call the cops. People simply do not want to become involved, it's none of their business. All the groups, all agencies can do little without the citizen choosing to be involved.
    Washington Bullets became the Washington Wizards.

PC gone too far?
    The neighbors living in a white middle class neighborhood in Cleavland who certainly notice guys coming into some house on their block at all hours of the day. They don't lift up their phones to call the cops.

Was it Chief Wahoo?
    myself I'd go with "The Bloody Ax Murders." But I am sure that the ax lobby would get all upset.
    Steven wrote: »
    Was it Chief Wahoo?

if some minorities (in numbers) were dirtying up their neighborhood, they may call the cops.
    I probably have seen most of them...though not on msnbc. And if you watch these shows you know that "No one" does care. That is why it continues. The neighbors living in a white middle class neighborhood in Cleavland who certainly notice guys coming into some house on their block at all hours of the day. They don't lift up their phones to call the cops. People simply do not want to become involved, it's none of their business. All the groups, all agencies can do little without the citizen choosing to be involved.

Isn't that like saying that nobody cares about heroin use because it still exists?

As to the neighbors thing, I think they are afraid of being wrong and then having to face those neighbors.

PC gone too far?

Perhaps but harmless.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member

PC gone too far?

PC or over-marketing?
    Isn't that like saying that nobody cares about heroin use because it still exists?

As to the neighbors thing, I think they are afraid of being wrong and then having to face those neighbors.

No....but in some ways yes. The authorities tend to focus on the international trade, the cops on the ground don't have to money to really go after this...busting some johns isn't going to change this.

Look outside the window, there's a woman being grabbed
    They've dragged her to the bushes and now she's being stabbed
    Maybe we should call the cops and try to stop the pain
    But Monopoly is so much fun, I'd hate to blow the game
    And I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
    Outside of a small circle of friends.

Riding down the highway, yes, my back is getting stiff
    Thirteen cars are piled up, they're hanging on a cliff.
    Maybe we should pull them back with our towing chain
    But we gotta move and we might get sued and it looks like it's gonna rain

Sweating in the ghetto with the (colored/Panthers) and the poor
    The rats have joined the babies who are sleeping on the floor
    Now wouldn't it be a riot if they really blew their tops?
    But they got too much already and besides we got the cops

Oh there's a dirty paper using sex to make a sale
    The Supreme Court was so upset, they sent him off to jail.
    Maybe we should help the fiend and take away his fine. (*)
    But we're busy reading Playboy and the Sunday New York Times
    Outside of a small circle of friends

Smoking marihuana is more fun than drinking beer,
    But a friend of ours was captured and they gave him thirty years
    Maybe we should raise our voices, ask somebody why
    But demonstrations are a drag, besides we're much too high

Oh look outside the window, there's a woman being grabbed
    They've dragged her to the bushes and now she's being stabbed
    Maybe we should call the cops and try to stop the pain
    But Monopoly is so much fun, I'd hate to blow the game
    Hextall wrote: »
    PC or over-marketing?

It was definitely PC...glorifying guns...etc., etc.
    so that was not just a business decision best left to the unquestionable skills of the owners/managers of the Wizards franchise?

This is another example fo what I mean. When Datsun decided to return to its roots and change its name back to Nissan, that was just a business decision, but when the Bullets became the Wizards it's "p.c." In other words, you didn't like it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.