Mexico is awesome

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    he should hit the offenders with a bag of oranges
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Napoleon Dynamite missed that sight gag.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Likely to get in trouble up here too. Wear a black mask and approach a vehicle hastily.... might get hurt. Many here travel armed and don't take kindly to car-jackin. Would be kinda funny if one of the cars in that vid maced or tazed him as he came running up.
    Maybe he should just apply for a job as a traffic cop? Safer way to get it out of your system.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    I originally read about this guy in today's WSJ. Apparently Mexico has a traditon of masked lucha libre type "super heroes." There's been about one a decade since the 70's.

Factoid of the day: Nacho Libre was loosely based on a real priest/super hero - Fr. Tormento ("Storm Father")
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    he should hit the offenders with a bag of oranges
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    it's funny you posted that because I was just thinking about this scene

the first time I saw it I almost had a stroke from laughing
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    He fights Nacho Libre tonight on WTCO.

NL-C1013-21.jpg
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I originally read about this guy in today's WSJ. Apparently Mexico has a traditon of masked lucha libre type "super heroes." There's been about one a decade since the 70's.

Factoid of the day: Nacho Libre was loosely based on a real priest/super hero - Fr. Tormento ("Storm Father")

There is a documentary about this, one is trying to put an end to bullfighting. I think you can find it on Yahoo.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Serves me right for not giving you a Shawn Michaels' elbow to the head when I had a chance.
  • truco7mateotruco7mateo Senior Member Posts: 192 Senior Member
    real quick, raise your hand if you have ever driven in df or any other metro area of of mexico. if not, shut it, "nacho" is doing a good public service for pedestrians. cops? the last people to depend on.
    slowly raises hand
    The thing is when you are furiner down there you drive extra special careful and stay on the main roads.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    The thing is when you are furiner down there you drive extra special careful and stay on the main roads.
    you are gonna get your **** arrested or killed if you do that. if i remember, ill take some video next week for ya when i am down there at the house.
    I one time got pulled over in Juarez for going through a stop sign. Not something I would be willing to repeat or worse actually hit a pedestrian.
    I one time got pulled over in Juarez for going through a stop sign. Not something I would be willing to repeat or worse actually hit a pedestrian.
    They don't really need a reason to pull you over comic(btw, the border area is its own country 30 miles each side for the most part) and when I say big metro areas, I am referring to DF-20 million, GDL-5 million and MTY-4million. The minor metros would be cities with under 1.5 million, like juarez, tj, hermosillo, leon, puebla etc. Anyway, the point is, you learn overtime what is acceptable, what is not and how to keep out of trouble. The bigger point is, this luchador is doing a public service because motorists in df are nucking futz and there are just so many vehicles on the road, it's hard to comprehend.
    20 million people. Man that is difficult to fathom and I lived in NYC.

I am sure you are right about the luchador.
    it is what it is bro. My children know that mexico and the us are different stories. Here, you have the right of way walking......down there, you are dead.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    The DF is the ultimate urban adventure. Great music, food, and multiculture.

I've driven in most Mexican cities, but I prefer Baja before the latest round of lawlessness.
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    The DF is the ultimate urban adventure. Great music, food, and multiculture.

I've driven in most Mexican cities, but I prefer Baja before the latest round of lawlessness.

i wouldnt expect too many changes in the near future. however, bc norte has settled down considerably. the shift 3 years ago to the gulf side of the country along with dismantling of the tj organization has alloweded chapo to quietly consolidate bc territory.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    I've driven in the Yucatan and had no problems, the toll roads were better than here in PA. But Merida ain't the D.F.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    George K wrote: »
    I've driven in the Yucatan and had no problems, the toll roads were better than here in PA. But Merida ain't the D.F.
    indeed it isn't george, indeed it isn't. Next time, take free roads in QR or yuc, while a lot slower, a much better experience than just zipping through the jungle at 70 mph. Stop in the villages, meet the people, you will be rewarded immensely.
    This was our honeymoon, in 2004.

The toll road was just to get from (shudder) Cancun, where we picked up a car after five wonderful nights on Isla Mujeres. It was Merida for a day, then back roads in the campo to an old sisal plantation Hacienda made into an upscale hotel. The sisal machinery, including a small railroad, and the cenotes were memorable. One day they were filming a telenovela. That was fun to watch.

Aside from Mayan ruins, great food and hotels another thing the Yucatan excels at is speed bumps. the topes grandes there will slow down anything on wheels, or at least send it airborne.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Tangentially relevant comment approaching:

There's a group of super heros that patrol the streets of Seattle. Meet Phoenix Jones:

Real-Life-Superhero-Phoenix-Jones-Tells-Fox-News%E2%80%99-Megyn-Kelly-of-His-Total-Awesomeness.jpg

Relevant question... did I already bring this up?
    topes grandes are actually standard size, it's just they are a lot newer and haven't had the traffic the topes in other places have had. They get a lot more beat down in other places quickly just from sheer traffic......and not everyone slows down for them. You want to have some fillings fall out, take public transportation where there are lots of topes hahahahahahahaha. George, I want to clarify something, I only reccomend taking the free roads in the pennisula, not other parts of mexico. That part of the country is not being contested by rival narcos. Like I said, that goes only for the yuc.
    topes.jpg
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    topes.jpg
    I thought it was spelled tetas.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    FishTX wrote: »
    I thought it was spelled tetas.

Melones, or perhaps pomelos.
    you guys dont dissapoint jajajajajajajajajaja

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.