did you know dept: how gog and magog got us into Iraq

creekguycreekguy Senior MemberPosts: 3,905 Senior Member
Maybe this is old news, but I just read it.

how George Bush tried to talk French president Jacques Chirac into supporting the invasion of Iraq:

Chirac recounts that the American leader appealed to their “common faith” (Christianity) and told him: “Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East.... The biblical prophecies are being fulfilled.... This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase his people’s enemies before a New Age begins.”

This bizarre episode occurred while the White House was assembling its “coalition of the willing” to unleash the Iraq invasion. Chirac says he was boggled by Bush’s call and “wondered how someone could be so superficial and fanatical in their beliefs.” After the 2003 call, the puzzled French leader didn’t comply with Bush’s request. Instead, his staff asked Thomas Romer, a theologian at the University of Lausanne, to analyze the weird appeal.
....In 2007, Dr. Romer recounted Bush’s strange behavior in Lausanne University’s review, Allez Savoir....Subsequently, ex-President Chirac confirmed the nutty event in a long interview with French journalist Jean-Claude Maurice, who tells the tale in his new book, Si Vous le Répétez, Je Démentirai (If You Repeat it, I Will Deny), released in March by the publisher Plon.

Explanation for the war 1. Gog and Magog are actually oil barons. Explanation 2. George was drunk again. 3. OMG, he really did believe that stuff!

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    God told Dubya He wanted him to be President ... George told us so
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    And they say Muslims are dangerous.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    that's so 500 years ago

I heard it here
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,812 Senior Member
    This is fairly old news. By one account Chirac said that Bush told him that God had told him to invade Iraq.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member
    yatahey wrote: »
    And they say Muslims are dangerous.
    Yep.
    All religious fundamentalists are indeed dangerous and a threat to modern society. That's my $.02 and I'm sticking to it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.