Home The Lodge

Tim Tebow

Replies

• yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    But that said, a little more than a year ago, he led your team to the playoffs. He deserves a little more spotlight than say a Cade McNown.

The defense had as much or more to do with getting us to the playoffs that year. A flash in the pan performance or two and all of a sudden he's walking on water. How much did he do for the Jets after the Broncos dumped him?
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,122 Senior Member
    I still think with the proper coaching and the chance to develop he can prove to be a journeyman quarterback that can give his team a chance to win.

I wonder how much of this has to do with the Heisman and what expectations are placed on the winners. If he had not won the trophy I doubt anyone would have expected him to be a starter much less a superstar in his rookie year.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,922 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    He's been doing the Tebowing thing for a while. It only became a thing that people noticed when the intertubes started making fun of it.

tebow.jpg
    Pssst... Hext: I kinda mentioned that here....
    http://forums.flyfisherman.com/showthread.php?9506-Tim-Tebow&p=119335&viewfull=1#post119335
    Dude played college sports at the D-1 level. That alone makes him a helluva athlete whether he ever succeeded at the pro level or not.

Nobody said he isn't a good athlete. He just sucks at quarterback.
    The Pats may take him and make a running back/tight end out of him. He may do well at that.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I still think with the proper coaching and the chance to develop he can prove to be a journeyman quarterback that can give his team a chance to win.

Why bother though? Why spend the energy and time training him to be average at best (and I'm being generous) when you can go out and get average QBs now?

It's not like with a little bit of coaching he'll turn into Brady/Manning/Rogers/Brees. It's a biased sample (that depends on Rex Ryan's abilities to coach), but if he can't even get the nod over a ridiculously terrible Mark Sanchez, how good could he really be? His best bet to stay in the NFL is to switch positions.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    yatahey wrote: »
    He's a hack who has terrible mechanics and can't throw.

Yeah, about that. The Jets didn't really work on that with him at all. In fact, I'm thinking of another famous quarterback who came out of college with horrible mechanics that was tutored and went on to do pretty well..

Anyone?

Exactly. Way I see it, he's not been given much of a chance, and you got half of the fans who WANTED to see him fail, right out of the gate.

Because Jesus. There's no other reason.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Nobody said he isn't a good athlete. He just sucks at quarterback.

"He should keep his face covered, it's more appropriate to his talent."

The guy played D-1 QB.

You backpedal so fast, you could play MLB in the Cover-2.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Yeah, about that. The Jets didn't really work on that with him at all. In fact, I'm thinking of another famous quarterback who came out of college with horrible mechanics that was tutored and went on to do pretty well..

Anyone?

Jesus? Is it Jesus?

Oh who am I kidding... his headgear would pop the ball.
    It's a biased sample (that depends on Rex Ryan's abilities to coach), but if he can't even get the nod over a ridiculously terrible Mark Sanchez, how good could he really be? His best bet to stay in the NFL is to switch positions.

Dude, Ryan would NEVER have benched Sanchez, no matter HOW bad he got. Sanchez got intimidated because Tebow joined in, or so the media said. If that's true, Sanchez is one weak **** qb in more ways than one.

Ryan wasn't going to bench him.

Anyone?

Exactly. Way I see it, he's not been given much of a chance, and you got half of the fans who WANTED to see him fail, right out of the gate.

Because Jesus. There's no other reason.

Tebow spent his second off season with a quarterback coach to work on his mechanics. It failed.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,122 Senior Member
    Why bother though? Why spend the energy and time training him to be average at best (and I'm being generous) when you can go out and get average QBs now?

It's not like with a little bit of coaching he'll turn into Brady/Manning/Rogers/Brees. It's a biased sample (that depends on Rex Ryan's abilities to coach), but if he can't even get the nod over a ridiculously terrible Mark Sanchez, how good could he really be? His best bet to stay in the NFL is to switch positions.

What if you can turn him into a Phil Simms or a Randell Cunningham?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    "He should keep his face covered, it's more appropriate to his talent."

You backpedal so fast, you could play MLB in the Cover-2.

Oh. So I have to put "QUARTERBACK" after every post about his lack of talent as a QUARTERBACK.
    Dude, Ryan would NEVER have benched Sanchez, no matter HOW bad he got. Sanchez got intimidated because Tebow joined in, or so the media said. If that's true, Sanchez is one weak **** qb in more ways than one.

Ryan wasn't going to bench him.

Except he did... and Greg McElroy started over Tebow last December.

Now, there's no way that Rex Ryan's decisions should be the smoking gun evidence of Tebow's abilities... but Greg McElroy?!?
    Husain Abdullah "Abdullahbows to Allah" and gets no respect or adulation from the masses.
    [sarcasm disclosure for Buffy]

Husain_Abdullah_%282008%29.jpg

Anyone?

My guess is Favre.

Anyway, the Jets didn't want to work with him on being a real QB. They wanted him to run the Wildcat and ran it all of 18 times or something.
    What if you can turn him into a Phil Simms or a Randell Cunningham?

Who's going to do that... Jacksonville... you Lt. Weinburg?* What evidence is there that Henne or Gabbert are worse in ability than Tebow and any less of a project? What evidence is there that the coaches of Jacksonville can turn him around?

*that's for sherb... and I think I've mentioned this, what the hell is Jessup yelling at Weinberg for?
    My guess is Favre.

Did he really clean up his mechanics though?
    I once saw him throw off his front foot.
    Husain Abdullah "Abdullahbows to Allah" and gets no respect or adulation from the masses.

So what you're looking for is adulation? What about a "meh, don't care"? Which is what I would expect people like you and Tim to do.

If you expect me to act like you guys are acting if Mookymuhammed washes his feet in the endzone, then I'm sorry to disappoint. Because I won't.
    My guess is Favre.

Anyway, the Jets didn't want to work with him on being a real QB. They wanted him to run the Wildcat and ran it all of 18 times or something.

2012 Tebow stats with the Jets.

Rushing
    32 attempts, 2.7 yard avg.
    12 games, 102 yards gained, yards per game 8.5

Passing
    12 games
    6 of 8 completion
    total 39 yards
    rating 84.9

SAT scores 890 [true]
    SAT scores 890 [true]

This is the best thing you've written in this thread. ha ha. stupid tebow is stupid.

[I barely beat him]

Edit: as an aside... Tebow had a 3.66 GPA at U of F, and was a Academic All-American winner while at college. Presidential?
    Tebow was smart enough to exploit religion but not smart enough to go to an accredited college without sports?

Am I clear on this?
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Nothing like an NFL thread to bring out the Geek Squad.

Good luck to Tebow. I'm glad that he came out of the closet.
    ouzelpro wrote: »

Good luck to Tebow. I'm glad that he came out of the closet.

This explains why he spends so much time on his knees.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Its a good thing the NBA picked him up, but I think he's shining us on, pretending to be black.
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    Its a good thing the NBA picked him up, but I think he's shining us on, pretending to be black.

Tim? Is dat chew?
    1112-Ent-Rufus.jpg
    Christians and gays....
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,260 Senior Member
    Thanks all for an hour of "entertaining" reading to kill an afternoon. Yat is down on the media created TT, but shouldn't confuse the media icon for the person.

The prototype QB who won games but couldn't pass would be Billy Kilmer, the last single wing QB at UCLA (and one of the last ever before the shotgun) who threw wounded ducks sidearm but took his team to a Superbowl for George Allen's Washington Redskins in 1972.
    Frankly, I could care less about Tebow as a person. He's never moving to my neighborhood and I'll never have a chance to drink or pour a beer over his head, although that is number 297 on my bucket list. He is supposed to be an NFL caliber quarterback. He ain't.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    16 pages, you guys are the bomb...

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement