Home The Lodge

Tim Tebow

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,082 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    What's truly awesome about us Americans in the 21st century... the people complaining about Tebow's "persecution", and the people "persecuting" Tebow would have the other side's viewpoint if Tebow was Islamic.

[oh yes, I did go there]

Here here!!
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Oh for f&ck's sake, Palamalu has been on the 700 Club.

I'm sure Tebow told the folks at CBS, "I'm going to stage a miraculous come-back, and when everybody is running amok, I'm going to take a knee, so make sure you catch me at it to show how wonderful I am."

Yeah, it went just like that.
    So why is not Palamalu subject to same amount of ridicule as Tebow?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    tim_s wrote: »
    i've never seen polomalu be anywhere near as demonstrative on the field.....i never even realized he was a religious guy, and i've watched him a ton

But isn't that just biased based on Troy and Tebow's relative positions? Nobody trains a camera on a defensive guy's reaction when the starting QB just performed a 4th quarter rally. But there's always cameras on the QBs (see: Brady, Tom, so sad).
    Okay first of all it is conservatives that are saying that he is being bashed because he is a Christian, not me. Second, each of those players you mention was lauded as being great leaders and role models as well as good Christians. So you cannot site them as examples to prove that Tebow is being castigated for his faith.

You my friend are the one that does not know what the hell you are talking about.

What is the disconnect here? You say he's showing off, lacks subtlety, doing it when he knows he's on TV, and then say I'm not castigating him?

Of course he's being castigated for SHOWING his religious beliefs (although he's not the first). Why else is he taking the heat? Nobody but Josh McDaniels and Tebow thought he'd be an NFL QB, so why does everybody else go off the handle when he's not? How many #1's don't even pan out? Does Alex Smith take this much sh-t?

He takes sh-t because of religion, pure and simple. You don't have to be some raging rightwad to figure this out.

FWIW, that religious conservatives want him to succeed isn't surprising. Everybody wants one of their own to succeed in sports. Jews still point to Koufax. Kuni creamed his corduroys over Jeremy Lynn. It's natural.
    So why is not Palamalu subject to same amount of ridicule as Tebow?

Because the QB position is so much more high profile than a defensive back.

Plus, the steelers have Big Ben (QB) to train the camera on to see if he's going to sexually assault a coed.
    Steven wrote: »
    What is the disconnect here? You say he's showing off, lacks subtlety, doing it when he knows he's on TV, and then say I'm not castigating him?

If saying someone looks somewhat silly is castigating then I would be guilty as charged. However I think that would be altering the meaning of the word.
    Of course he's being castigated for SHOWING his religious beliefs (although he's not the first).

Show me where any of those other players were castigated for their faith. It did not happen. In fact they were universally praised.

Heck even Deion Sanders went straight from bad boy to all around great guy once he announced his conversion.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    you're delusional

i've never seen polomalu be anywhere near as demonstrative on the field.....i never even realized he was a religious guy, and i've watched him a ton

timmy never met a camera he didn't like.....he's a virginal paris hilton with a couple more functioning brain cells.....

tebow's display isn't about thanking his god.......it is ALL about letting everyone else know he is thanking his god

doesn't make him a bad guy any more than purposefully walking by paparazzi with his shirt off and then tee-heeing that he didn't know they'd be there does....

but both were to keep tim tebow in the spotlight

doesn't single him out......tons of "celebrities" and athletes go through the same self-aggrandizing type behaviors......narcissism comes with the territory

tebow can always fall back on the idea that he's using his fame as a way to prosthelytize.....it may be that he's just another self-important **** athlete......i have a feeling it is a little of both

Wow. Talk about delusional. You talk like the cameras brought the bowing. Ever been around the guy AFTER a game? You know, when there are NO cameras around?

Why is it so impossible to believe that he is absolutely sincere?
    tebow's display isn't about thanking his god.......it is ALL about letting everyone else know he is thanking his god

Based on his family and how he was raised, it's not too much of a stretch to think for Tebow that thanking his god, and showing his thanks for all to see do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I really don't get why people take issue with Tebow displaying super Christiandom. Personally, I think it's silly and irrational. But it doesn't harm me, so why persecute the guy for it.

He sucks as a pro NFL QB, but he seems like a pretty good guy who cares about the Jesus a whole lot.

You do realize he'll sign with the Pats and play some type of wingback thing, right? ha ha.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Why is it so impossible to believe that he is absolutely sincere?

This is what I don't get either.

One explanation is that being a fan of sports in this day and age has made us so cynical that we believe almost everything about the professional athletes is a lie to get more moneys and hoes.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Funny. This looks like an end zone.
    And yes they are castigating him for his religious shenanigans. He is a rabid evangelical, shoving his faith down everyone's throats. How quick would most of you be to crucify a Muslim player bowing to the east after every successful play.
    As far as his quarterbacking goes, Christ every time he brings the ball back to pass it looks like a statue of liberty play he holds the ball so far back. His release is horrible and he can't throw a spiral to save his life either. He's a running back in quarterback's clothing. The success he had in college was mainly because he confused the hell out of defenses. NFL caliber players aren't so easily fooled.
    Tebow+Meets+Pepper+Spray.jpg
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
    yatahey wrote: »

Umm.... Tebow is photoshopped into that picture. Even I don't believe he's so bright that shadows don't penetrate his immediate aura.

Tebow did his tebowing on the sidelines.... he usually does the double point to the Jesus pose as his endzone dance.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,907 Senior Member
    I've been a UF fan since, well, forever (going back to before Charlie Pell) and I can remember Tim Tebow Hershisering even back then.

Edited to add: Hextall, please notice Orel's shadow. Not a photochop.

oreltebow.jpg
    And yes they are castigating him for his religious shenanigans. He is a rabid evangelical, shoving his faith down everyone's throats.

Do you feel Victor Cruz is trying to shove Salsa down your throat? I do.

How quick would most of you be to crucify a Muslim player bowing to the east after every successful play.

It would suck to **** waiting for him to get his cleats and socks off.
    NFL caliber players aren't so easily fooled.

Just the Denver Broncos.
    FWIW, I'd rather watch Tebow prostrate himself after every completion than watch some moron wide receiver signal a first down when his team is down by 25.
    And yes they are castigating him for his religious shenanigans. He is a rabid evangelical, shoving his faith down everyone's throats.

Shoving it down your throat. Wow. How dare he.
    Just the Denver Broncos.

And Cutler's Bears still suck. Playoffs, playoffs. What playoffs?

I suppose somebody went out of their way to PS every shot of Tebow to make it look like an end zone.
    tebow_large.jpg
    tebow-endzone.jpg
    t_tebow_ot_120108_CP.jpg
    nfl_eu_tebowingpanel_gb1_576.jpg
    Buffco wrote: »
    Shoving it down your throat. Wow. How dare he.

He'll be delivering Watchtower magazine when he finds out Jesus won't get him another job in the NFL.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,907 Senior Member
    He'll be delivering Watchtower magazine when he finds out Jesus won't get him another job in the NFL.
    Doubtful. He's not a Jehovah's Witness.
    um... one of those is a computer generated picture of Tebow. One of them isn't Tim Tebow.

Computers... they are hard.
    Yat is truly the Sarah Palin of the lodge. This thread is his Wasilla.
    Better than the Neckbeard.

Cutler had the Bears in play-off position each of the last two years before going down with injury. And while Chicagoans argue about whether or not he's a true franchise quarterback, nobody denies he's as tough as they come and he's widely respected and well-liked for that.

Now, just so I'm clear here. Tebow genuflecting is better, same-same, or worse than Colin Kaeperik kissing his bicep?
    Doubtful. He's not a Jehovah's Witness.

Not yet......
    Now, just so I'm clear here. Tebow genuflecting is better, same-same, or worse than Colin Kaeperik kissing his bicep?

All QB's look the same to the racist Yatahey.
    um... one of those is a computer generated picture of Tebow. One of them isn't Tim Tebow.

It's hard to see the screen through the blinding red haze of anger.
    And yes they are castigating him for his religious shenanigans. He is a rabid evangelical, shoving his faith down everyone's throats. How quick would most of you be to crucify a Muslim player bowing to the east after every successful play.

Maybe in your circles that is possible. If his faith is why he is being called over rated, why has that not happened to the hundreds of other athletes that thank God and Jesus for their victories?

Prove it. They're all Teblow except Kaepernik and it was attached with both of them. Steven said he only did it on the sidelines. Wrong.
    It's hard to see the screen through the blinding red haze of anger.

I have a Yatahey to Rational English dictionary.

From what I can gather... he's posting pictures of Tebow in the endzone because you wrote "Tebow's taking a knee became iconic not in the endzone but at the end of a semi-miraculous comeback when all hell broke loose around him." And I assume you meant post-TD celebration when you wrote "in the endzone".

So now's he's taking up arms to post pictures of Tebow in the endzone Tebowing. Of course he doesn't realize that two of those images Tebow was just happened to be standing in the endzone, probably before or after the game (otherwise he'd get a flag for taking off his helmet)... and the third one with him in the endzone was also likely before a game.

He's the Mark Fuhrman of Flyfisherman magazine.
    Boo-hoo. Tebow did prayer stuffs while I was watching tv. I'm all offended and junk. He took a knee for like, 2.6 seconds.

That's shoving it down your throat?

Oh, and Watchtower is Jehovah's Witness.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement