Tim Tebow

24567

Replies

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,300 Senior Member
    Yes that is exactly my point. If he was doing it the way Jesus taught, we wouldn't even be aware of the act.

    The other players did not take a knee with that ridiculous fist to the forehead pose. They made a quick gesture. Nobody has made as big a demonstration of it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    So tell me then why the Religious right and conservative commentators act like he is the first Christian Athlete since Christians were fed to lions.

    That's because of his (if you follow NFL football) miraculous turn around successes at the end of numerous games. It really did look like a deity came down to give him an assist when it looked like all hope was gone. He's a guy who several times looked as hopeless as a QB could for all but the last few minutes of the game, then suddenly turned into a magician. His story comes right out of a sunday sermon. Believe and miracles can happen.
    In fact, he was bailed out by an excellent Bronco's defense, keeping the score down until the end.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,300 Senior Member
    So are you saying that if John Elway had only taken a knee, he would have been the first Tebow?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    tim_s wrote: »
    he certainly did all he could to increase the aura of hype

    How dare he win in dramatic fashion multiple times!
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Yes that is exactly my point. If he was doing it the way Jesus taught, we wouldn't even be aware of the act.

    The other players did not take a knee with that ridiculous fist to the forehead pose. They made a quick gesture. Nobody has made as big a demonstration of it.

    Maybe you just don't love Jesus as much as Tebow. Nor have you won as many Heismans.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Tebow's taking a knee became iconic not in the endzone but at the end of a semi-miraculous comeback when all hell broke loose around him. That's when the "tebowing craze" got started. To think he was aware that the cameras would be on him and what it would develop into, is again, ridiculous.

    As for other players that were lauded for religion: Kurt Warner, Reggie White (the Minister of Defense) and Steve Young come to immediate mind.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,300 Senior Member
    I don't know why I am being treated like I am bashing him. I think he has been treated unfairly. Just that it is not completely without reason.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    How dare he win in dramatic fashion multiple times!



    his op-ed video about abortion, his frequent tweets, his trademarked pose.....he helped create the hype

    he wasn't the first athlete to do it....he was just extra douchey
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,300 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    To think he was aware that the cameras would be on him and what it would develop into, is again, ridiculous.

    As for other players that were lauded for religion: Kurt Warner, Reggie White (the Minister of Defense) and Steve Young come to immediate mind.

    Show me where I said this.
    Steven wrote: »
    As for other players that were lauded for religion: Kurt Warner, Reggie White (the Minister of Defense) and Steve Young come to immediate mind.

    I already made this point. But I guess you missed it when you went looking for a reason to have an argument.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I don't know why I am being treated like I am bashing him. I think he has been treated unfairly. Just that it is not completely without reason.

    Now you'll just have to deny him two more times, and the prophesy will come true!

    [crow caw!]
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Show me where I said this.



    I already made this point. But I guess you missed it when you went looking for a reason to have an argument.


    You know, not everyone is replying to you.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,300 Senior Member
    As for other players that were lauded for religion: Kurt Warner, Reggie White (the Minister of Defense) and Steve Young come to immediate mind.

    BTW tell this one to Bill O'Reilly and all the nutbag Christians that keep sending me emails and posting comments on Facebook. To them he is the first openly Christian player since Androcles.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    tim_s wrote: »
    his op-ed video about abortion, his frequent tweets, his trademarked pose.....he helped create the hype

    a 30 second ad that didn't air...
    a twitter account in the age of twitter...
    professional athlete trademarking a personal attribute...

    STONE HIM!
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    You came on saying it comes in the endzone. It didn't. My point is that if he didn't know the cameras would be on him, how can you say that he's showing off? Get it.

    You said nobody else had been lauded. That Tebow was being treated as the first Christian. Reading, what you wrote, is fundamental. Warner, White, and Steve Young were all lauded, and shot down, because of their religion and how they expressed it.

    You're getting bashed because you have no idea what you're talking about.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,300 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    You know, not everyone is replying to you.

    It sure sounded like he was responding to what I was trying to say and it comes right after my response to him.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,300 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    You came on saying it comes in the endzone. It didn't. My point is that if he didn't know the cameras would be on him, how can you say that he's showing off? Get it.

    You said nobody else had been lauded. That Tebow was being treated as the first Christian. Reading, what you wrote, is fundamental. Warner, White, and Steve Young were all lauded, and shot down, because of their religion and how they expressed it.

    You're getting bashed because you have no idea what you're talking about.

    Are you responding to me? It is my understanding that you may not be.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    It sure sounded like he was responding to what I was trying to say and it comes right after my response to him.

    So now I"m to be stoned!?! You're the one that doesn't love Jesus. Let's not forget that.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Are you responding to me? It is my understanding that you may not be.

    In the words of Sarah Palin/Tim Tebow, "You betcha." You have no idea what you're talking about.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    What's truly awesome about us Americans in the 21st century... the people complaining about Tebow's "persecution", and the people "persecuting" Tebow would have the other side's viewpoint if Tebow was Islamic.

    [oh yes, I did go there]
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    I have the right not to be offended!!!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    What's truly awesome about us Americans in the 21st century... the people complaining about Tebow's "persecution", and the people "persecuting" Tebow would have the other side's viewpoint if Tebow was Islamic.

    [oh yes, I did go there]

    We would be forced to put in little foot baths in the endzone, so Milkhammed could wash his feet after he scores.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Those are mop buckets. And look who's manning them... Tebow found some work!
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    You came on saying it comes in the endzone. It didn't. My point is that if he didn't know the cameras would be on him, how can you say that he's showing off? Get it.

    You said nobody else had been lauded. That Tebow was being treated as the first Christian. Reading, what you wrote, is fundamental. Warner, White, and Steve Young were all lauded, and shot down, because of their religion and how they expressed it.

    You're getting bashed because you have no idea what you're talking about.



    do you really think he would have gone through such a display if he DIDN'T think the camera was going to be on him?

    everything tebow does is because he knows the camera is on him.....he IS that guy

    he is ocho cinco with an awesome god
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    tim_s wrote: »
    do you really think he would have gone through such a display if he DIDN'T think the camera was going to be on him?
    Abso-effing-lutely.

    Troy Palamalu is another one who's been lauded/blasted for faith on and off the field.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    And by the way, how do we forget the all-time NFL religious icon - Roger Staubach?

    He popularized the term "Hail Mary" after telling the national press that after his famous completion to Drew Pearson, he said a Hail Mary.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Look at this pious dirtbag:

    bradying.jpg
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,938 Senior Member
    Aaron Rodgers is pretty Kewl.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Abso-effing-lutely.

    Troy Palamalu is another one who's been lauded/blasted for faith on and off the field.



    you're delusional


    i've never seen polomalu be anywhere near as demonstrative on the field.....i never even realized he was a religious guy, and i've watched him a ton


    timmy never met a camera he didn't like.....he's a virginal paris hilton with a couple more functioning brain cells.....




    tebow's display isn't about thanking his god.......it is ALL about letting everyone else know he is thanking his god


    doesn't make him a bad guy any more than purposefully walking by paparazzi with his shirt off and then tee-heeing that he didn't know they'd be there does....


    but both were to keep tim tebow in the spotlight


    doesn't single him out......tons of "celebrities" and athletes go through the same self-aggrandizing type behaviors......narcissism comes with the territory



    tebow can always fall back on the idea that he's using his fame as a way to prosthelytize.....it may be that he's just another self-important **** athlete......i have a feeling it is a little of both
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    Look at this pious dirtbag:

    bradying.jpg



    ha.....i think that was more of "@$#$@, did i really just throw that pick"


    brady is da debil, dontcha know
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,300 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    You came on saying it comes in the endzone. It didn't. My point is that if he didn't know the cameras would be on him, how can you say that he's showing off? Get it.

    You said nobody else had been lauded. That Tebow was being treated as the first Christian. Reading, what you wrote, is fundamental. Warner, White, and Steve Young were all lauded, and shot down, because of their religion and how they expressed it.

    You're getting bashed because you have no idea what you're talking about.

    Okay first of all it is conservatives that are saying that he is being bashed because he is a Christian, not me. Second, each of those players you mention was lauded as being great leaders and role models as well as good Christians. So you cannot site them as examples to prove that Tebow is being castigated for his faith.

    You my friend are the one that does not know what the hell you are talking about.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.