Tim Tebow

yataheyyatahey Senior MemberPosts: 5,605 Senior Member
What do Tim Tebow and Sara Palin have in common? Both had fifteen minutes of fame followed by a never ending litany of mindless blathering and pointless actions.

The Sara Palin of the NFL dumped by the Jets.

What say you Jet fans?

Oh wait. There are no Jet fans.
"When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    May I never hear his name again.

Canada or the Arena league might be in his future in his future.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Unless you went to an SEC school, I don't know why anybody could possibly hate this kid.

Didn't Tebow save the Bronco's from the disappointment that was the Neckbeard? The "glorified fullback" (according to Brian Urlacher) pretty much single-handedly beat the Beloved and won a playoff game to boot, didn't he?

Good for Tebow getting the hell away from the Jets (who compounded their error by going after Geno Smith). If Sanchez was a headcase before, bringing in Geno Smith (who says he wants to be the franchise quarterback) will just make matters worse.

Hopefully, Tebow will wind up in Jacksonville. They've done nothing to shore up their QB position which features a controversy between two third-stringers.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Hopefully, Tebow will wind up in Jacksonville. They've done nothing to shore up their QB position which features a controversy between two third-stringers.

That's what we're hoping. He would be a big draw for Jax, I think. But the Jaguar's head coach pretty much nixed that several months ago. Said he couldn't see any circumstance in which he would bring in Tebow.
    Unless you went to an SEC school, I don't know why anybody could possibly hate this kid.

Because, because Jesus.
    Buffco wrote: »
    That's what we're hoping. He would be a big draw for Jax, I think. But the Jaguar's head coach pretty much nixed that several months ago. Said he couldn't see any circumstance in which he would bring in Tebow.

I saw that. But going into the season with Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne, I'd rethink that if I were the GM.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member

I think the anti-Tebow sentiment stems not from his christian viewpoint... but more as a result of the knob-slobbering by the media, specifically ESPN, who made it a mission to get his name on the air as much as possible. They made a spectacle about a backup quarterback.

From everything available... Tebow is a good guy, a consummate teammate and unfortunately got cast in the sports soap opera by ESPN.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Tebow, like Palin, is a fraud. Palin masqueraded as a qualified politician and Tebow masqueraded as a qualified quarterback. Both are all talk and no substance jive **** phoneys.
    Once more, proof that nobody turns on their former players like a Bronc's fan.
    It was clearly Tebow's fault that McDaniels' took him in the first round.
    Hextall wrote: »
    From everything available... Tebow is a good guy, a consummate teammate and unfortunately got cast in the sports soap opera by ESPN.

He's a ****. :rolleyes:
    How dare Tebow agree to take a job that he was really good at in college! Why, it's almost unamerican!

I bet he got better SATs scores than me.
    He's a ****. :rolleyes:

He's certainly no Cutler, that's for sure.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Once more, proof that nobody turns on their former players like a Bronc's fan.
    It was clearly Tebow's fault that McDaniels' took him in the first round.

Many Bronco fans were against Tebow BEFORE he was a Bronco, including me. Tebow is a running back who can occasionally throw a pass. McDaniels may just as well have been a mole for the Pats for what he did to the Broncos was nothing short of sabotage. May he rot in NFL hell.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,297 Senior Member
    I think the anti-Tebow sentiment stems not from his christian viewpoint... but more as a result of the knob-slobbering by the media, specifically ESPN, who made it a mission to get his name on the air as much as possible. They made a spectacle about a backup quarterback.

I don't know I think his lack of humility regarding his faith and that ridiculous end-zone celebration are also part of it. It doesn't help that Fox also made the point of making him the poster child for the war on Christianity. Ignoring the fact that several NFL players became ministers in their careers and declared him to be the one true Christian in all of football.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    that ridiculous end-zone celebration

What? taking a knee in silent prayer is ridiculous?

It's no Icky-Shuffle.
    yatahey wrote: »
    Tebow, like Palin, is a fraud. Palin masqueraded as a qualified politician and Tebow masqueraded as a qualified quarterback. Both are all talk and no substance jive **** phoneys.

I don't get that. What do you mean masqueraded? If coached properly and allowed to develop, he is most certainly a qualified QB. He did win the Heisman trophy after all.

Funny how winning that trophy does not often mean NFL success. But still he is not a fraud.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Yat is the Sarah Palin of the Lodge. Best just to tussle his hair and say, "You go, girl!"
    What? taking a knee in silent prayer is ridiculous?

It's no Icky-Shuffle.

It is showie. It is like he is saying, "Hey, look at me I am praying." That is fine though, many young people do not get subtlety. It is just a bit holier than thou and silly looking.
    It might be like that... but it also can be a genuine reflection and thanks to his god. Everything I"ve read about Tebow is that he's very genuine in his religious displays. I'm not sure why that should be a strike against the guy... I think it's stupid to eat a cardboard wafer and pretend it's Jesus's body, but if it gives religious chubbies to others, no skin of my back.

In most examples of why Tebow grates on people, the angst usually stems from actions of other people (Fox, ESPN, McDaniel, NFL religious players, etc). I don't get why that's Tebow's fault.

I don't blame Tebow for other people having a problem with his public displays of religiousity.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    I don't get that. What do you mean masqueraded? If coached properly and allowed to develop, he is most certainly a qualified QB. He did win the Heisman trophy after all.

Funny how winning that trophy does not often mean NFL success. But still he is not a fraud.
    He also was a quarterback on 2 national championship teams. Those are some things Peyton Manning never did. And Tebow finished his SEC career with a higher passing efficiency and completion percentage. None of that has translated to the pros, but coming out of college and looking at the stats, he had better numbers than Denver's current QB.
    It is showie. It is like he is saying, "Hey, look at me I am praying." That is fine though, many young people do not get subtlety. It is just a bit holier than thou and silly looking.

This is ridiculous.

A ton of players take a knee, make the sign of the cross and/or point to the heavens upon a touchdown Then there's the co-team prayers at the end of every game.

The NFL is probably the most religous of the pro-leagues. These guys are just thankful to have survived another Sunday.

And Fox? Broncos are an AFC team, that's CBS.
    There's definite psychosis here.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Agree with Hex. I don't get that he is a bad guy. The chaos with the Jets wasn't Tebow's fault. Like a lot of young, gifted, successful people, he's gratingly (word chosen before Hex picked it) enthusiastic. But the grate often comes from his fans (and ESPN, etc.) and not himself. Just imagine the hubbub if he was a Mormon or Scientologist! As far as football, he has yet to grasp that his talents do not transfer to that of a NFL QB. But we all have to make such choices about how we plan our lives. He will never regret not sticking with his dream. Give him 3 years learning QB in Canada, and he might return to make his critics look bad.
    You want to know why people are sick of everything Tebow... The first gay athlete on a major sports team in the US has finally come out this morning, and espn.com's front page is a picture of Tebow (3rd string QB previously on the hapless jets) and several articles/opinion pieces about him and his options.
    This is ridiculous.

A ton of players take a knee, make the sign of the cross and/or point to the heavens upon a touchdown Then there's the co-team prayers at the end of every game.

The NFL is probably the most religous of the pro-leagues. These guys are just thankful to have survived another Sunday.

And Fox? Broncos are an AFC team, that's CBS.

So tell me then why the Religious right and conservative commentators act like he is the first Christian Athlete since Christians were fed to lions.
    This is ridiculous.

A ton of players take a knee, make the sign of the cross and/or point to the heavens upon a touchdown

I agree, but he makes a bigger deal of it and the press has ate it up.

You're projecting. It can't be that he's sincere in doing so? It has to be an act?

You yourself said there are other players that have done the same. Why is Tebow's "Hey, look at me I am praying"
    Have any of you Christians even read the Gospels?
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member

he was a qualified QB in college

nowhere near qualified at the next level.....

yes, ESPN hyped tebow and turned a lot of people off......but he was also a very willing participant in the hype machine......he certainly did all he could to increase the aura of hype.....whether he was marketing himself or using his platform to market his brand of Christianity, i can't say......but was complicit in the manufacture of the tebow-aura
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
    Buffco wrote: »
    "Hey, look at me I am praying"

The word you are looking for is subtlety.
    I don't know how one subtly takes a knee in the end zone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.