Wetdog: what species?

FishTXFishTX Super ModeratorPosts: 7,971 Senior Member
Now that I have laptop, I've been spending a lot of my weekend computer time on the deck and enjoying the outdoors while wasting time on the devil's machine. :D

I just watched a couple hundred blackbirds pass by through the hardwood stand where I live. They didn't fly over the stand. They passed through it. It took several minutes for them to all pass by. Individuals briefly perched as others passed in a leap-frogging manner. I noticed none over the canopy. Almost all of them passed through between the top and bottom of the crowns of the dominant and co-dominant trees. I could not tell for sure from my vantage point, but the flock seemed to pass as a narrow band maybe 100ft wide or less.

I don't think I've ever witnessed blackbirds at this time of year going through a stand instead of over it. Got any idea what species of blackbird they might be?

Thanks
"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,816 Senior Member
    Looked at some range maps and they would most likely be red winged blackbirds. Both rusty and brewer's blackbirds only winter in TX. Also, totally wrong habitat for yellow headed blackbirds as inhabit marsh land.
    And yes, it is rare for any blackbird to be seen within a forested area but red winged blackbirds often defy convention more than their cousins.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I have yet to hear a redwinged blackbird this spring ... which is really unusual ... normally they've been singing away for at least a couple of weeks by this time of year
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,971 Senior Member
    I saw no red on any of them and all the redwings I've seen around here and when I lived in Dallas (70 miles to the west) have been associated with water. Probably unrelated, but the bluejays are more numerous than they have been in the 18 years I've lived here. I feel like I'm in a Daphne du Maurier story.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    This is one screwed up year as far birding is concerned..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »
    This is one screwed up year as far birding is concerned..

Mike
    Not just birds. I have a plague of eastern gray tree frogs and bumble bees.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,273 Senior Member
    Grackles behave like that. Were they loud as crap?
    Not grackles. We have common and great-tailed grackles. They were larger than a cowbird and smaller than a grackle.

• JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    My guess Brewers Blackbird, which is the same size as a Robin. We've had male Redwing Blackbirds here in Michigan since about their normal arrival time which is the first day of spring. I saw my first female Redwing Blackbird on our one feeder today. As far as out of whack migrations, we had Dark eyed Juncos hitting feeders as late as last weekend. And we still had one straggler Red Pole on our feeder yesterday.
    JLT wrote: »
    As far as out of whack migrations, we had Dark eyed Juncos hitting feeders as late as last weekend.
    I think we had some that hung around later than usual.

Shoot one with a shotgun. They are easier to identify if you are holding them in your hand.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,816 Senior Member
    Buffco introduces the concept of the "death list" to mixed reviews.
    Then again, it worked for Darwin and Audobon!

Shawn C. wrote: »
    Buffco introduces the concept of the "death list" to mixed reviews.
    Then again, it worked for Darwin and Audobon!

Well, if you've got a dead ivory billed woodpecker in your hand, you've got proof. But you can't run around saying, "I saw an ivory billed woodpecker!" because no one will believe you.

Shoot, then identify.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    I think JLT might have it. That was my first guess. I would have expected them to be gone from your environs by now, but a wave may be trailing behind.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    Could be. I'd say they were lost. They were heading south for the summer. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.