I don't know what's more ironic...

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 4,519 Senior Member
That this was published on Fox News Business's website, or that they have a "Critical Thinking" columnist. Not sure I agree with all of this (while I don't need a Tempurpedic mattress, anyone who's slept on a really crappy mattress knows that it's worth it to spend some money, and most floors aren't as soft as the earth) he does have some points. However, he's also writing about the very things that Fox loves to advertise on their own channels and website.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/business-leaders/2013/04/25/why-americans-are-miserable-and-broke/#ixzz2RamJzGCN

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    he believes in evolution

ergo

he's about to become a FOX ex-employee
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    He's full of it. Sure we consume too much, but how many people do you personally know who have as many cars as the family in his example? He doesn't say a **** thing about that family's income. Maybe they can afford it.

His Chinese goods comment is BS. Most people buy Chinese goods because they are less expensive that American goods. Of course they reap what they sow. Except for a few products I've bought, "Made in China" means "You've wasted money and will spend more money on a good replacement product."
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I was getting it until the last paragraph where he says the less you have the happier you'll be....That's bullsh!t man...

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    I'd like to see how little he has. Bet he isn't doing without like good little Buddhist. Besides, he's commenting in business op ed piece. Isn't what he said anti-capitalism? He's going to get kicked out of the Foxateer club.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,565 Senior Member
    Sounded like a little bit of projection, perhaps?

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,519 Senior Member
    I wonder how much he's bought on credit that's still outstanding?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,290 Senior Member
    Clearly this guy has never in his life worked for an hourly salary.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Fox News

Rich people working for Billionaires convincing the middle class everything is the fault of poor people
  • oc stomiasoc stomias Senior Member Posts: 348 Senior Member
    Steve Tobak is a Silicon Valley-based strategy consultant and former senior executive of the technology industry who just wants those **** kids to get off his lawn.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,290 Senior Member
    Well after they get done mowing it anyway.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    The only person i know with all this stuff is my 9 year old grandson.....he's got every **** thing his mother can buy. And he's let me know I live in the 19th century while he's in the 21st.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,935 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    He's full of it. Sure we consume too much, but how many people do you personally know who have as many cars as the family in his example? He doesn't say a **** thing about that family's income. Maybe they can afford it.

When my kids lived at home we had 4 vehicles...1 short of the example. They've moved out now and we are down to 2, a 4 door sedan and full size truck, but I am considering adding a 3rd in the future. I want an AWD something or other.

I am also guilty of having shoes/sneakers for different activities.

Other than that, I am not miserable.
    Joes buyin a Subaru.
    Actually Suburu is one of my considerations. Looking at the new XV Crosstrek they just came out with. 8" ground clearance, AWD and 33 mpg.

2013-Subaru-XV-Crosstrek-front-side-view-1024x640.jpg
    sounds as tho life is happy under the rainbow
    Yea I see a rainbow sticker on the back. I test drove an Outback and didn't like the over steer. Aren't you losing some storage via that curved back roof and that of an Outback or Forrester? What's the ground/c on a Forrester?
    Might lose a little storage but not enough to matter. Fits a few fly rods and related gear for a day or weekend outting. I took one for a spin a few weeks ago.

Forrester has the same exact ground clearance. But outback and forester gas mileage is less...bigger cars.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    I didn't realize it was smaller than the Outback. Nice looking car and pretty good gas mileage. Subaru's hold their value. Look at used ones on line. Yikes.
    in all seriousness

check the tire size

something I neglected with my Murano and when I went to replace a set of tires got the 'it's an odd size tire' song and dance from every retailer who wanted a $1000 bucks for a set of tires
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    in all seriousness

check the tire size

something I neglected with my Murano and when I went to replace a set of tires got the 'it's an odd size tire' song and dance from every retailer who wanted a $1000 bucks for a set of tires
    What is standard size today? I have an old Ranger with 15" wheels. I was told the price of tires for the truck will be going up because manufacturers are going to larger wheels. Fifteen inches has been plenty large enough for wheels for I don't know how long. Why do we need a change? Is there a mechanical/physical advantage, or is it just a way for manufacturers to charge more money?

235/65R18 are the size on the Murano ... it's not rare it's supposedly unusual and so a tire they may not carry and also usually doesn't fall under any of the great deals and sales

I ended up going to my local auto service a mom n pop shop who was grateful for the business and was less than any of the supposedly high volume tire dealers
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,683 Senior Member
    What is standard size today? I have an old Ranger with 15" wheels. I was told the price of tires for the truck will be going up because manufacturers are going to larger wheels. Fifteen inches has been plenty large enough for wheels for I don't know how long. Why do we need a change? Is there a mechanical/physical advantage, or is it just a way for manufacturers to charge more money?

Ultra low profile tires on large wheels are all the rage, as they say. They do improve handling, but I think most people like them because they look cool. Tire companies and retailers love them because the wear out quickly and self destruct frequently from hitting curbs and potholes. The even newer scam is putting expensive and short-lived Z, Y or W rated tires (for speeds well in excess of 168 mph) on cars that are limited by governor or physics to 130 mph or less (H rated tires).

They are even more absurd on trucks, crossovers and SUVs. My wife's 2013 Volvo XC70, a station wagon with extra road clearance, uses 18" Z rated tires that will last no longer than 30,000 miles, if that. Her previous car, a 2001 XC 70 had 16" wheels and H rated tires. She is in for a huge shock when tire shopping time comes around.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    value is over rated

There is no standard size. All depends on make and model.

Sometimes when a new vehicle comes out the tire size isn't the norm in the industry, but after a while it becomes the norm. When it came time to put new tires on my truck that I bought in 2004 285/70/17 was a hard to find tire. Now they can easily be found 8 years later. Haven't found that it affected price though either. I have been paying roughly $1100 for tires since 2005. On my 4th set now with 151,000 on the truck.

George is right...low profile tires seem to be the new rage. I don't get it. They make for a bumpier ride since there isn't much rubber between the road and the rim.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    when you bear the weight of being ghetto suburb you go to any lengths to make things right with your street cred

/word
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,565 Senior Member
    Just bought a 2013 Outback. Forester is too small for our weeklong+ camping/fishing adventures. We used to have a Forester some years ago and it was okay, but I'm a big fan of the Outback ever since the first one in '96. No "coexist" sticker. :)
    Joe, does the new model Subaru you're looking at have the 2.5 liter in it? If so it will run forever.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    No "coexist" sticker.
    I thought those were OEM standard equipment.

Shawn C. wrote: »
    Just bought a 2013 Outback. Forester is too small for our weeklong+ camping/fishing adventures. We used to have a Forester some years ago and it was okay, but I'm a big fan of the Outback ever since the first one in '96. No "coexist" sticker. :)
    Joe, does the new model Subaru you're looking at have the 2.5 liter in it? If so it will run forever.

2.0 Liter
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,852 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    2.0 Liter

I don't think they make a 2 liter, at least I couldn't find one. Before I bought the Honda I researched the crap out of the Outback. Drove both the 2.5 and the 3.6. While test driving I drove up to a stop light which was red, I looked around and saw 3 other Outbacks and decided I didn't want to be like everyone else. I moved to Montana and I'm pretty sure it's the state vehicle.

I did like the 3.6 though.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    He's not looking at the outback... but the crosstrek:

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/xv-crosstrek/index.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.