Wireless Routers

It appears my wireless router has gone kaput. It's a Linsys WRT54GS, only a few years old. Not working properly and the power light flashes quickly andh steadily which, according to various sources, indicates the firmware is corrupted. Linksys offers no fix for this. And having already spent three hours of my life trying to fix it, I have given up the job as being not cost-effective.

So, with what should it be replaced? We have CenturyLink DSL, a desktop PC that wires to teh router, and multiple devices in the house that connect wirelessly and from throughout the house. These include my laptop, SWMBO's IPad, the kids' Ipod Touches, multiple smartphones/iphones, and a gaming console (Xbox) that also serves as a portal to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon for video downloads. I can onoly assume that we will continue to add additional wireless devices in the future. So what do any o fyou techno geeks think I need?

Replies

• dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    A new Linksys Router.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    If it is firmware corruption, and your plan is to trash it anyway, you might want to check out installing an open source firmware to see if it can be salvaged. There's two that are pretty popular and free:
    - dd-wrt
    - tomato

I bought a second linksys router and installed dd-wrt on it to use as a bridge router. It's a snap to install (if you can follow directions). you'd just have to check whether these open source projects have the versions for your router.
  • JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    This sounds like a solid plan.
    dryflie wrote: »
    A new Linksys Router.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Well, only a few years old means it might be obsolete by now, or even ready to pack it in. Just replaced my almost 3 year old router, which died, and the new one is way faster and reliable.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Hextall, I looked into this, but the html-based utility program for managing the router is not accessible, which greatly complicates installation of dd-wrt. After multiple attempts to simply make the utility usable, without success, I have given up.

So, seriously, folks, if you know, what am I looking for in a router? Don't make me ask one of the chumps (chimps?) in blue shirts.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I'm not a power user, but in my experience running all sorts of toys on the wireless, I don't think it matters that much. Get any leading brand with the current set of protocols, and it ought to run fine right out of the box. We've run Linksys, Netgear and Belkin over the years but I have yet to develop any particular brand loyalties.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,921 Senior Member
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,086 Senior Member
    Get one of these. They are dual band 2.4 and 5 ghz. which is useful if you stream movies through internet TV using a device such as a ROKU or other similar device such as the xBox you mentioned.

Most of the streaming internet TV uses the 5 ghz band and the rest of the devices that you connect to it will use the 2.4 Ghz band. What this means is less chance of buffering and faster loading of internet TV...netflix/amazon/hulu etc.

The plus is also less clutter...its a DSL modem and wireless router all in one unit.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/DGND4000.aspx#

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/DGND3700.aspx#

I have an older discontunued model of this brand going on 4 years old with no problems. Just ordered the DGND 4000 for myself over the weekend to replace it. Only because its faster. My current one isnt broke yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Wireless-Gigabit-Modem-Router/dp/B009SPNO1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364822309&sr=8-1&keywords=dgnd4000

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Wireless-Gigabit-Router-DGND3700/dp/B005276QSQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364822343&sr=8-2&keywords=dgnd4000
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    We use a Belkin for our desktop, tablets, smartphones and Internet streaming to the TV.
    Picked up a netgear N600. Easiest install ever. Literally plugged it in, went to router's control panel, changed network name and password, and was in business.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,921 Senior Member
    You do know not to use WEP for your password right? Also do not broadcast your SSID if possible.

Taking a security course so now I am paranoid.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,313 Senior Member
    What IS your password, James?
    Jamespio wrote: »
    Picked up a netgear N600. Easiest install ever. Literally plugged it in, went to router's control panel, changed network name and password, and was in business.

How's it seem compared to your last one? I ordered mine online so I haven't received it yet.
    Buffco wrote: »
    What IS your password, James?

"password"
    James

serious question

can you look in your users manual and see if this router will support a connection to a broadband wireless card?
    Users Manual? Have you bought any hardware lately? (Probably not if you're still using a laptop that requires a separate wireless card). Nothing comes with manuals. It comes with a quickstart guide and a link to a manual.

Also, not sure what you mean by "broadband wireless card." Assume you mean an add on that plugs into a port on your laptop, but that is exceedingly 1990s. If so, this thing claims it supports all wireless protocols, 802.11a/b/g/n and n in both 2.4 and 5 ghz.
    Monkey gets his internet via a card that plugs into a wireless router... he's wondering if you can plug this card into the router (analogous to plugging your modem into this router). I think it's via a USB adapter then into ethernet.

I almost bought this same router recently, and I believe it does have a USB for network accessible storage... i don't think you could feed it internet via the usb port.

This is like what Monkey has... he's trying to replace the wireless router part of this setup:
    71WYB3uChPL._SL1500_.jpg
    Also... all of Netgear's manuals are online (google Netgear N600 manual).
    thanks Hex

and James ... it's soooo 1990's until the power goes out and I am the only one in the neighborhood still on the interwebs ... plus my old contract has unlimited data for $59 a mo ... for some reason our semi-rural village has a restrictive number of landline providers ... it's weird other than Frontier has a couple of routing stations here so we have what appears to be locked into having only their landline DSL service available to us and hence no competitive advantages for the consumers

Frontier's data packages start at $20 but they have limits and their actual speed never approaches advertised speeds

If I had reasonable choices for local service I likely would switch from the 1990s aircard plan I contracted into in 2004

PS ... that is the exact router I have but is starting to give up the ghost and thanks to the big 15,000 acre lake next door we only have 3g out here while the rest of the metro has 4g. Since we lack population density there is no rush to bring us into the 21st Century ... MSP was one of Sprints 4g test markets we've had 4g around for years
    Ah, my mistake then. You are correct, that there is USB port for shared storage devices. Is there no way to run the wireless card via an ethernet cable?
    I can't remember if we discussed this... but did you ever look for an adapter like pictured that you plug your USB broadband stick into that then runs into any router via ethernet?
    What about asking Sprint (i searched for the old thread) if they have an adapter to run into any wireless router?
    no docking cradle uses USB and I think that USB port only supports additional data drives
    Hextall wrote: »
    I can't remember if we discussed this... but did you ever look for an adapter like pictured that you plug your USB broadband stick into that then runs into any router via ethernet?
    What about asking Sprint (i searched for the old thread) if they have an adapter to run into any wireless router?

good question and I don't remember that suggestion

that is something I will look into
    Check this out...
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Mobile-Broadband-Connection-Card-for-Your-Wireless-Router

You could use an old computer as the "modem", run an ethernet cable from this computer with the card plugged in into the wireless router's internet port, and you should be able to broadcast your internet to other computers/tablets/phones.

Basically... the old computer is the USB to ethernet adapter.
    James, I just subscribed to this thread so that in about a month or so, I'm going to request an update on this router and your results. I think I have a similar number of devices (i.e. many) and my current router I think is getting overloaded (it's pretty old, one of those old blue linksys ones with the two antennas). I'm trying to sell my house, and don't want to sink any dollars into technology when I'm going to have a new house to setup.
    following the links in the article bring me to how to make a cantenna in order to access free interwebs

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cantenna
    If you want free interwebs try this instead...

http://www.google.com/tisp/
    Hex, the old blue linksys with two antennae is precisely what I just replaced. It was acting up prior to its failure, and basically ever since adding a new Xbox to the system. Started having lots of ip address conflicts, and various devices would just get booted off, particularlyh the xbox which I imagine sucks a lot of resources during online gaming sessions. Litle over a week ago, right before I left town on vaca, the wireless simply stopped working. Could have been the same firmware corruption problem. But I'll be happy to tell you how this one works out. Also, it was verhy affordable, $80 at Best Buy, I'm assuming I could have gotten it cheaper on Amazon.
    joekrz wrote: »
    If you want free interwebs try this instead...

http://www.google.com/tisp/
    Google wrote:

This site is an old friend from Google's past kept in it's original form. Enjoy!

Wisconsin! When you're feeling nostalgic and want to visit the past!
    Jamespio wrote: »
    Also, it was verhy affordable, $80 at Best Buy, I'm assuming I could have gotten it cheaper on Amazon.

Cool... thanks.

I actually bought the one you did about 3 weeks ago, but returned it because my issue is compounded with relatively slow internet. and against my usual over-researching self, I didn't do much research into router differences (besides looking at the different plug in options on the boxes standing in Best Buy).

I'll give you 30 days then solicit your review. 30 Days!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.