a few night shots

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
nice turn in the weather for Easter weekend -- mid-70's during the day, clear skies day and night. So I drove out to White Pass in the Cascades, to shoot the comet and stars over Mt. Rainier.

8605905992_5e9f3f0fd9_b.jpg
DSC_8506-Edit by Scott Butner, on Flickr

8605903320_7083bdf90d_b.jpg
DSC_8518 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

8605914708_03a6e69536_b.jpg
DSC_8453 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

8604804857_e35b9bb01f_b.jpg
DSC_8492-Edit by Scott Butner, on Flickr

8605905268_51eb9a58d0_b.jpg
DSC_8513 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,602 Senior Member
    These are cool shots

Give a feeling of peace
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    thanks. It really was quite nice out -- other than the sound of the occasional boulder falling down the cliff that was on the other side of the 2 lane highway from the pull-out where i was shooting most of these. A few of those kinda creeped me out.

oddly enough, the only other person to stop there to take photos (before the twilight had fully faded) was an older gentleman also from our area (this was surprising enough, given that it was 130 mi from home). It was stranger yet when he said "so, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you must be Scott Butner, the photographer?"

turns out he'd seen some of my photos in Starbucks. Small world.

here's a close up of the mountain:

8605916572_b46d8d9d29_b.jpg
    DSC_8380 by Scott Butner, on Flickr
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,944 Senior Member
    ...."so, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you must be Scott Butner, the photographer?"
    Now, that is cool.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    No longer Scott Butner the scientist, but now the photographer.. Things are looking up EH...

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    lol. or down, depending on your POV.

Astronomy lesson for the day:

here's a good example of Zodiacal light -- about halfway between the top of Mt. Rainier and the left edge of the photo, you'll see a faint, sort of roughly triangular shaped cone of light angling slightly to the left from the horizon. This is sunlight reflecting off of dust that is out in space, in the plane of the ecliptic (the imaginary plane where most of the planets orbit the sun).

Music trivia note: according to wikipedia, Brian May, guitarist from Queen, did his PhD disstertation on the topic "Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud" -- turning it in 36 years after starting, due to a slight interruption caused by...oh, becoming a multi-millionaire rock star.

To those with good monitors and patience for such things, if you enlarge the photo to full screen, and look just above the mountain, you'll see Comet PANSTARRS (closest to the mountain) and the Andromeda Galaxy, slightly above it. Both will look like slightly fuzzy spots compared to the sharper stars. On Wednesday, these two objects will come close to overlapping, or so I'm told...of course, they are millions of light years away from one another, but they'll LOOK like they are neighbors.

8607404101_07cb1ceeca_b.jpg
    DSC_8485 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.