Gun Lobbyists Assault Rifle Stolen...Beat Goes On

13»

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,946 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    I'd like to hear the minutiae as to how a .223 or 5.56 x 45 is Not a high power round

and then want it explained to me as to why the DOD and the taxpayer thought it wise to under equip me and the rest of the USMC as well as others in the military ...

I'm guessing the Marines were whining about the weight of carrying full sized ammo.:)
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    I'd like to hear the minutiae as to how a .223 or 5.56 x 45 is Not a high power round

All depends what the comparison is. A .223 compared to a .22lr is very powerful. Compare a 223 to an 30/06 not so much.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Buford wrote:
    Do you really think a 223 is a better killing round than the 308 or 30/06.

Apparently the Pentagon has since the 1960s

The problem in your argument is in the question ... like aircraft, warships, artillery, armor ... all have different mission roles.

the AK gets it's honorable mention all the time ... truth be told it's the most successful military rifle in history ... but ... for close quarters squad based warfare ... inside 150 yards it's at best fairly accurate but since you can spray and pray then the average moron can be a force to be reckoned with ... get out there distance wise and suddenly the supposed diminutive .223 becomes a real killer especially in the hands of someone trained to shoot accurately at any reasonable distances (we shot it out to 500 yards with open sights)

at extended ranges, of course the .308 and other calibers excel because of the foot pounds in pressure they deliver ... this is one of the reasons I chose the .300 Win Mag over a 7mm for elk where I might have to shoot at 300+ yards ... both are similar in size but once the energy starts to drop the 7mm drops off exponentially more quickly than the .300 Win Mag (see? I can do this too)

bottomline ... the .223 is a high velocity round with one and really only key purpose ... killing other human beings ... just because it can't be used in many states to hunt medium sized or large game doesn't mean the 'lamestream' media is over hyping it for their obvious 'Murrica hating agenda
    Buford wrote: »
    I'm guessing the Marines were whining about the weight of carrying full sized ammo.:)

you ever hump an M-14? (I Have)

ever hump at all? for real? ammo isn't the only thing you have to carry

it's not necessarily about carrying 'full sized' ammo but rather how much more of it you can carry
    Navy here, what are you shooting at 500 yards with open sights mini vans? That's pushing a 55gr bullet at that range.
    you ever hump an M-14? (I Have)

ever hump at all? for real? ammo isn't the only thing you have to carry

it's not necessarily about carrying 'full sized' ammo but rather how much more of it you can carry

No I haven't I got to tote around a P250 water pump. Just taking a jab at a jarhead.
    I was shooting 'expert', sir

;D

Edson Range is a place full of fun and frivolity

in answer to your question ... the 500 yard target was something along 40 inches high as I recall ... maybe 44 or something else ... they were called Bakers back then
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,591 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Sitting at your desk?
    I was comparing them to a .223 which is a .22 caliber, but a .22LR it is not.

So how would that make the articles I read any less valid? BTW I had several friends that were in Pararescue and I was shooting all the time with people that were in the Security Police.

Are you seriously going to tell me that this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMBv75V_rW3X_kaKQX2emKfRMu_x1Rnf21FIun8OGPNqMltG4G

Does not have more energy and does no more damage than this?

22_Long,_22_LR,_22_Winchester_Magnum.JPG

I am not a ****ing idiot so don't treat me like one.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    those pictures are fake ... we all know those kind of bullets no longer exist and neither do the clips they get shooted with
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,591 Senior Member
    Apparently the Pentagon has since the 1960s

The problem in your argument is in the question ... like aircraft, warships, artillery, armor ... all have different mission roles.

the AK gets it's honorable mention all the time ... truth be told it's the most successful military rifle in history

That has more to do with the level of mass production and that it can taking a beating in the field.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    two key elements for a weapon

availability and reliability
    Are you seriously going to tell me that this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMBv75V_rW3X_kaKQX2emKfRMu_x1Rnf21FIun8OGPNqMltG4G

Does not have more energy and does no more damage than this?

22_Long,_22_LR,_22_Winchester_Magnum.JPG

Wow I never said no such thing. The answer to your question though is no.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.