Soooo, I just called three of the local gun shops.....

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    again trust me

the panic buying was even worse back in the '90s

you couldn't even buy primers ... anywhere

people would be parked and lined up at retailers waiting for the Remingron and Federal trucks to arrive ... retailers limited amounts to individual purchasers when available

what components are you unable to find either locally or on the internet?

also people were buying with only cash so their transactions were 'off the grid' ... Clinton was ABSOLUTELY going to suspend elections and declare martial law at the end of his second administration ... 'insiders' in the 'know' had seen the documents

it's just the same o lame o

Locally? None. I've tried to avoid buying powder and primers online to avoid the shipping and HAZMAT fees.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the chocolate overlord taking mah guns. I'm more pissed off at the mouth breathers for hoarding.

I guess it's my fault for not preparing, but then again, I've not really lived through any of this. As you said, in 92 I was 11. I was still playing with Barbie dolls at that age, not guns.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    I have have a brick of .22LR and about rounds of .22 CB caps. I might have a few rounds of no. 12 rat shot in 22.

Going to the highest bidder with reserve price of $545 (I have my eye on the new Fuji X20).
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Buffco wrote: »
    Locally? None.

You should probably add those ginning up the panic along with the hoarders themselves

so do I understand you correctly that locally you can buy pretty much any components?

as I said the last go round on this **** shee-ite ... the local shops went weeks on end without any primers and would run out of brass, bullets and powder

the one I shopped at most the time was shared by two guys one part was firearms and the second (3/4 of the retail footage) was entirely reloading which routinely was one of the better stocked shops in the Twin Cities for reloading ... his shelves got cleared several times over

primers when you could find them were limited in volume you could buy and a box of 100 would sell for $19.95 and up (as opposed to $29 for a 1,000)
    Negative. Locally there is bupkus. I have to drive almost an hour for any sort of gun shop to speak of.

I do a fair amount of traveling throughout the south east so I look while I'm on the road.
    ahh got it

interesting ... this time around there are shortages but no outages up here so to speak

I have primers (all sizes)

$24.95/100

:-D
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,942 Senior Member
    I don't remember it ever being this bad.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,589 Senior Member
    Jarbidge mountians streams?
  • truco7mateotruco7mateo Senior Member Posts: 192 Senior Member
    Bring a spare tire my boy and I will take you for a ride, even if you are from utah.:cool: Jarbidge ain't that great, look a little distance away and the fish are bigger.
    I'm sorry but you gun enthusiasts (I'm actually trying to use a respectful term here, is that considered respectful?) are dumb as a bag of hammers, as a group. Individually you might be quite smart, but as a group, bag o' hammers. You've let the folks that are supposed to "represent" you, scare you into overpaying for your hobby, if you can even do it at all. That's just dumb, dumb like, yep, you got it, a bag o' hammers. Nobody to blame but yourselves, either.

How much can I get for 75 rounds of .30-06? Got some .270 also, make me an offer.
    Buford wrote: »
    He said he had over a thousand rounds of ammo. That certainly fits the profile.

over 1500 rounds of 223. about 500 22 long rifle, some 30-30 and a reloader for 12 and 20 guage with enough primers, powder and shot for about 200 shells. The guns are in a combo safe. I also have compound bow which makes not a sound. not bad for an art teacher eh?

and yes 22 ammo is hard to find here as well. people have lost their minds.
    Jamespio wrote: »
    Got some .270 also, make me an offer.

The .270 you may be able to sell on the woman folks gun site.

You shut yer mouth
    The ghost of Jack O'Connor is gonna take wizz on your ATVs.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    Jamespio wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you gun enthusiasts (I'm actually trying to use a respectful term here, is that considered respectful?) are dumb as a bag of hammers, as a group. Individually you might be quite smart, but as a group, bag o' hammers. You've let the folks that are supposed to "represent" you, scare you into overpaying for your hobby, if you can even do it at all. That's just dumb, dumb like, yep, you got it, a bag o' hammers. Nobody to blame but yourselves, either.

How much can I get for 75 rounds of .30-06? Got some .270 also, make me an offer.
    Pio, these guys still haveb'y figured out this thread isn't about ammo......at all, bag of hammers is appropriate I guess, I actually have a function in mind for this little pistol but whoa is me, oh no, it's about ammo and protecting their 3000 sq ft of property in a culdesac. Please! I own lots of firearms already, you want to protect yourself, buy some **** lights, a 12 guage and an axe handle, you'll be fine.

PS, shawn, jarbridge is good times, but if you want the beef, look south......say 50 ish miles if you want streams, 75 if you want stillwater.
    Pio, these guys still haveb'y figured out this thread isn't about ammo......

I'm not the one looking for a gun right now. As you noticed there is not a lot out there right now. I went to the LGS a while back and they had 7 handguns. You couldn't have picked a better time to buy a gun.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,589 Senior Member
    ..... 75 if you want stillwater.

Hmmmm, Indian Reservation water, perhaps? Duck Valley?
    I'm really not trying to hot spot you, I'm just curious. I don't even fish for stillwater trout.
    Oh trust me Buford, I will have the gun in a few days, I only put myself through college selling guns, lots of dealers in these parts. That wasn't the point of this thread. The point was to show that the paranoia has reached it's zenith for no **** good reason. See, out here, and I refer to the intermountain west as out here, there are way more guns than there are people. Most of us own lots of guns but rarely ever go to a "range". Hell, outside is the range! No, we actually have guns for a reason, they have a function, some very specific, in this case, for snakes when you are caught in the step in a half situation. Generally, they move out of your way, are not agressive but sometimes, when you find yourself on a den and the babies haven't got a buzzer yet and they are going between your legs and there isn't a rock or stick in sight, you get a little nervous. Now packing the 45 acp, 38 or 357 is pretty **** heavy in the fly vest therefore, the bobcat comes into play. No, the point wasn't about ammo, it was about how stupid and paranoid people get that they will make a "run" for any weapon that goes bang, even a stupid little 22 bobcat. Picking up this little pistol will take 1 or 2 phone calls at the most from former associates but I wanted to show how dumb this has gotten. It has reached epic porportions of moronic behavior and makes me a little sad to be honest. Now, I just wish I had bought some **** stock in arms companies, that was my error.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Hmmmm, Indian Reservation water, perhaps? Duck Valley?
    I'm really not trying to hot spot you, I'm just curious. I don't even fish for stillwater trout.
    no, although there are good fish there, the res ain't my style, I'll send you some pics
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    I'm not the one looking for a gun right now. As you noticed there is not a lot out there right now. I went to the LGS a while back and they had 7 handguns. You couldn't have picked a better time to buy a gun.

the guy i have been using is doing ok on stock

i just picked up a like new M&P .40 for $475......test fire date last spring, one mag was never loaded

his inventory turnover, especially on used guns, is really quick.....he sold my trade within 3 days

http://www.northeasternfirearms.com/category/inventory/
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
    I'll stand by my observation, as anecdotal as it is ... this is no where near the panic that revolved around Waco, Ruby Ridge, OK City and the actual ban that took place ... you couldn't find anything anywhere ... gubs, bullets, primers, powder, loaded ammo ... nadda

compared to the 90s, Sandy Hook is a blip

(Sherb nailed this day one)
    Pio, these guys still haveb'y figured out this thread isn't about ammo...
    We figured that out in the opening post. We just highjacked the thread. :)

I blame this all on Steven Tyler. Ever since he started braiding ammo in his hair, it's been impossible to find any.
    Hey leave my wife's family out of this.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,522 Senior Member
    I'll stand by my observation, as anecdotal as it is ... this is no where near the panic that revolved around Waco, Ruby Ridge, OK City and the actual ban that took place ... you couldn't find anything anywhere ... gubs, bullets, primers, powder, loaded ammo ... nadda

compared to the 90s, Sandy Hook is a blip

(Sherb nailed this day one)
    That actually is the case locally here in FL. Nothing in stock, and when you can get them, primers for $40 or more per 1,000. Ammo is 2-3 times normal prices, if you can get it. And try finding .223 fmj plinking bullets on the internet. Again, at reasonable price. Local supplier went from $50/500 to $150/500, and that's with spotty availability. Some .308 bullets, and lots of powders are hard to get locally. And gun prices have spiked, with inexpensive ARs and AKs 2-3 times their normal prices.

The shortages seem to be localized, it seems.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I blame that Tim McCarver dude, once he's gone everything will be fine..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    That actually is the case locally here in FL. Nothing in stock, and when you can get them, primers for $40 or more per 1,000. Ammo is 2-3 times normal prices, if you can get it. And try finding .223 fmj plinking bullets on the internet. Again, at reasonable price. Local supplier went from $50/500 to $150/500, and that's with spotty availability. Some .308 bullets, and lots of powders are hard to get locally. And gun prices have spiked, with inexpensive ARs and AKs 2-3 times their normal prices.

The shortages seem to be localized, it seems.

I got stock I need to move

give them my number
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I blame this all on Steven Tyler. Ever since he started braiding ammo in his hair, it's been impossible to find any.

This is good.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,693 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I blame that Tim McCarver dude, once he's gone everything will be fine..

Mike

Not unless the Yankees get some home run hitters back into the lineup.

BTW - Mateo, .38 Special snake shot works a lot better. Get yourself a short barrel five round revolver. That's what I used to carry when I fished a stream known for many rattlers.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    ... you couldn't find anything anywhere ... gubs, bullets, primers, powder, loaded ammo ... nadda

In other words........exactly like it is now.
    well not here

there is stuff out there

plenty of things available via the internet as well

I did a series of online searches last night and not one item I looked up was listed as 'Out of Stock' anywhere

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.