Home The Lodge

Selling Access

NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior MemberPosts: 12,206 Senior Member
Giving or raising $500,000 or more puts donors on a national advisory board for Mr. Obama’s group and the privilege of attending quarterly meetings with the president, along with other meetings at the White House. Moreover, the new cash demands on Mr. Obama’s top donors and bundlers come as many of them are angling for appointments to administration jobs or ambassadorships.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/23/us/politics/obamas-backers-seek-deep-pockets-to-press-agenda.html?ref=politics&_r=2&
«1

Replies

  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Say it ain't so...Joe...

    A politician selling influence? Never happens...well...almost never...only in months that have the letter "e" in them...or any other vowel...
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,206 Senior Member
    This falls under they all do it.

    Where's the outrage like citizens united?

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    I'm disappointed. Not outraged, because this has been going on for decades. I am disappointed when any politician does this. So, no outrage, because I wasn't outraged when the right did it, but disappointment, because I was disappointed when the right did it. The real question is whether the rightwads will be outraged. Because they certainly were NOT outraged when the Bush Admin did it.

    At least int eh case of Obama, we know it is going on. As a social welfare organization, this thing could ahve organized in private, with very little public disclosure.
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    I'm with you on the disappointment...I suspect it's been going on longer than decades though....
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    Two words, Sheldon Adelson.

    But wait according to Steven money does not matter.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Two words:

    Lincoln Bedroom

    Change!
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    Right, this happens. Why? Because money matters. Yet the only time the right gets upset is when it is a democrat.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    I never said politicians don't think money matters.

    I'm not upset. I doubt Joe is either. It's just a lot of fun to remind you how the One ain't all that different from the W.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Two words:

    Lincoln Bedroom

    Change!

    What are you upset about? Money doesn't matter in politics, right?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,206 Senior Member
    Unlike a presidential campaign, Organizing for Action has been set up as a tax-exempt “social welfare group.” That means it is not bound by federal contribution limits, laws that bar White House officials from soliciting contributions, or the stringent reporting requirements for campaigns. In their place, the new group will self-regulate.

    That there is some funny stuff...tax exempt..self-regulate... Big money donors get access to the president which increases their chances of getting appointed to positions within the administrations.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    It's called patronage, joekrz. Why do you think political parties exist? It's the most efficient way to distribute the booty of winning elections.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,206 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    ...the One ain't all that different from the W.

    Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,206 Senior Member
    Jamespio wrote: »
    It's called patronage, joekrz.

    Of course. But you need $500,000+ to get there. Guess the evil 1% isn't so bad in O's book anymore. :rolleyes:
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I never said politicians don't think money matters.

    I'm not upset. I doubt Joe is either. It's just a lot of fun to remind you how the One ain't all that different from the W.

    Then why didn't Joe bring it up when W was raising more money than anybody in the history of politics?

    On this issue they are all the same.

    My solution is that people should be able to give what they want, but we get to publish their names.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Jamespio wrote: »
    What are you upset about? Money doesn't matter in politics, right?

    Who is? I once did business with a guy who stayed in the Lincoln bedroom (cost him $100,000 - things were cheaper back then). He was the same guy who sponsored Monica Lewinsky for her internship.

    Pretty cool - one degree of separation from Slick Willie, Monica and a stained Blue Dress.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    Of course. But you need $500,000+ to get there. Guess the evil 1% isn't so bad in O's book anymore. :rolleyes:

    They never were. How many times had he said "We applaud your success" or "We want to encourage the entrepreneurial spirit?"

    It is just the need of some to make Obama seem evil that allows you to ignore it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Then why didn't Joe bring it up when W was raising more money than anybody in the history of politics?

    On this issue they are all the same.

    My solution is that people should be able to give what they want, but we get to publish their names.

    Nobody buys into Hope and Change like a Lib. The most transparent and ethical admin in history, indeed.

    As for your solution, I'd agree that's best. But best may run afoul of the Constitution. If I were to write something anti-Obama and put it on telephone polls everywhere, could Congress pass a law saying I have to sign my name?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    The most transparent and ethical admin in history, indeed.

    Well you have to admit, after W, GHWB, Reagan and Nixon, that is not a very high bar.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Right, this happens. Why? Because money matters. Yet the only time the right gets upset is when it is a democrat.

    Joe didn't say that, or infer it, and neither did I. Not at all.

    Fire every last one the miserable bastiges that we catch doing it. Quickly, and with great enthusiasm...rather than justifying crappy behavior by saying "but they do it!"

    Why are we not taking responsibility for our employees?
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Nobody buys into Hope and Change like a Lib. The most transparent and ethical admin in history, indeed.

    As for your solution, I'd agree that's best. But best may run afoul of the Constitution. If I were to write something anti-Obama and put it on telephone polls everywhere, could Congress pass a law saying I have to sign my name?

    Actually the Supreme Court already ruled that disclosure would not be unconstitutional.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    Joe didn't say that, or infer it, and neither did I. Not at all.

    Fire every last one the miserable bastiges that we catch doing it. Quickly, and with great enthusiasm...rather than justifying crappy behavior by saying "but they do it!"

    Why are we not taking responsibility for our employees?

    And replace them with whom? It is legal and as you like to say, they all do it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    Unlike a presidential campaign, Organizing for Action has been set up as a tax-exempt “social welfare group.” That means it is not bound by federal contribution limits, laws that bar White House officials from soliciting contributions, or the stringent reporting requirements for campaigns. In their place, the new group will self-regulate.

    That there is some funny stuff...tax exempt..self-regulate... Big money donors get access to the president which increases their chances of getting appointed to positions within the administrations.

    As an aside, and comment of the relative efficiency and effectiveness of our politicians and their minions, this (found on another forum) is hilarious (follow the link): http://www.organizingforaction.net/

    ...someone should be fired for that beauty....
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    Of course. But you need $500,000+ to get there. Guess the evil 1% isn't so bad in O's book anymore. :rolleyes:

    The one percent is never evil...when it's "our" one percent....

    Their one percent has cloven hooves, horns, and bad attitude....
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Who is? I once did business with a guy who stayed in the Lincoln bedroom (cost him $100,000 - things were cheaper back then). He was the same guy who sponsored Monica Lewinsky for her internship.

    Pretty cool - one degree of separation from Slick Willie, Monica and a stained Blue Dress.

    You know why the Clintons didn't name their dog "Spot", right?
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    And replace them with whom? It is legal and as you like to say, they all do it.

    So it's OK? And we'll never, ever point a finger at "the other side" ever again?
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,206 Senior Member
    Then why didn't Joe bring it up when W was raising more money than anybody in the history of politics

    Joe wasn't registered here until July 2011. Makes it difficult to bring up when W isn't president.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    So it's OK? And we'll never, ever point a finger at "the other side" ever again?

    To be honest I never point at the politicians for taking the money. My position has always been the same since Nixon. Give but disclose. Heck make them dress like NASCAR drivers. If you want to vote for a man or woman that gets all their money from big oil, then do it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    Joe wasn't registered here until July 2011. Makes it difficult to bring up when W isn't president.

    Convenient excuse.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    Unlike a presidential campaign, Organizing for Action has been set up as a tax-exempt “social welfare group.” That means it is not bound by federal contribution limits, laws that bar White House officials from soliciting contributions, or the stringent reporting requirements for campaigns. In their place, the new group will self-regulate.

    That there is some funny stuff...tax exempt..self-regulate... Big money donors get access to the president which increases their chances of getting appointed to positions within the administrations.

    And this is different from Americans for Prosperity in what way?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    To be honest I never point at the politicians for taking the money. My position has always been the same since Nixon. Give but disclose. Heck make them dress like NASCAR drivers. If you want to vote for a man or woman that gets all their money from big oil, then do it.

    I want to vote for someone who's support is 100% grass roots, who understands business and the environment, doesn't wizz all over the poor but understands the rich, hunts, fishes, and doesn't live in a big city.

    ...and that is connected to neither of our current political parties in any way...

    But I'm not gonna hold my breath.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement