Bands/Groups you wish you'd have seen?

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 4,586 Senior Member
Comic's Stairway to Heaven thread got me thinking: there's a few groups I wish I'd have seen when they were in their prime or with the original lineup...

Waylon Jennings
Johnny Cash
Allman Brothers Band with Duane Allman and Berry Oakley
Led Zepplin with John Bonham
the original lineup of Guns n' Roses

Anybody else want to contemplate this?

Replies

• Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Led Zep
    Ted Nugent, before he started talking politics (I can handle disagreement, but in Nugent's case, he's just so batsh!t crazy that it would have been hard to take him seriously)
    Pearl Jam, from better seats than I had for the one show I caught
    Allmans
    the Clash
    U2
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    The (Young) Rascals when they were a bar band at The Barge in Westhampton.
    Aretha Franklin
    Johnny Cash
    Doc Watson
    Kinky Friedman and The Texas Jewboys
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Quicksilver Messenger Service
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Fleetwood Mac when Stevie was REALLY hot. (she's still hot)
    King Crimson
    Little Feat with Lowell George
    Pink Floyd
    Santana (Abraxas) years
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Oh yeah. I second the Santana addition.
  • The Rolling Stones.
  • I'll third Jonny Cash, that would have been sweet.

Hendrix (not even a die hard fan but I bet it was a freaking awesome show)
    Elvis
    Ray Charles
    ZZ Top
    Alabama
    Nirvana
    Alice in Chains
  • I saw Zappa once indoors small venue. He was awesome. Sure he does some silly songs but the guy could play a guitar.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,873 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    I saw Zappa once indoors small venue. He was awesome. Sure he does some silly songs but the guy could play a guitar.

I was fortunate enough to have seen him three times, first time was at the old Guthrie theater -1973. Saw the Talking Heads there too.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    The Beatles
    The Stones
    Zepplin
    Fleetwood Mac
    ELO
    Pink Floyd

I did spend the last 40 years chasing Dylan, and the great Blues singers. Saw Etta live several times, Koko Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, Odetta and many others. Can't say I regret any of that.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • Saw B.B. King numerous times. Once was at the St. Petersburg,Fl auditorium. There are two venues there. Lawrence Welk was in one room and B.B. in the other. When they had admission break the lobby couldn't have been more different. Young white kids, black folks of all ages and then the blue hair crowd.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    Saw B.B. King numerous times.

When I worked at the Hilton in Anaheim, they hosted the National Association of Music Merchants convention. I got myself some passes and walked inside. There I saw Nancy Wilson jamming with B.B. King at the Gibson booth. That was amazing.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member
    I had a chance to see the Stones once, but didn't want to travel all the way from Alamogordo to Phoenix and I didn't have enough leave at the time. Looking back I wish I had done that one. Same thing happened with The Who, I figured I'd get a better chance and then Keith Moon died.

I really wish I had got to see Zep. But I was not old enough to see them before the tour that was ended when Bonham died. I have seen quite a few of the bands that I was a big fan of when I was in my 20's. After that going to concerts with the large crowds and the volume lost its appeal to me.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,873 Senior Member
    My Mom used to play the Troggs all the time when I was growing up, I loved those guys and always wondered what they would be like to see live. Alas, I was too young.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

My band in high school had alternative lyrics for Wild Thing.
  • The Ramones.
  • oc stomiasoc stomias Senior Member Posts: 348 Senior Member
    The Clash
    U2
    Miles
    Charlie Parker
    The Who
    REM
    Janet Jackson Superbowl XXXVIII halftime show. Luckily I was not there and was able to change the channel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.