Guns used in shooting of fireman obtained illegally

13»

Replies

  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    Oh wait it was right here.



    So it was silliness,................... now it's a deadly serious matter that should have him locked away.

    Hey...sweetie pie...you need to read further down that thread...Gregory was NOT the guy who was being accused of lying to get a Colorado Driver's license....

    Prolly oughta do a better job of checking your facts....but then...why start now?

    ...and now a brief pause for a pointless picture, animation, or pithy comment from the passive aggressive peanut gallery...
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    1) David Gregory is still out and only "subject to an investigation" despite clear evidence of a violation of gun laws. Any "regular" citizen would already be in jail facing a serious problem. Deals are clearly in play behind the scenes, and the clear "gun laws" in this case are pretty clearly being either negotiated or dismissed with some nonsense about how this is "different".

    ...somebody tell where...exactly...it says anything about whether or not I think Gregory should,or should not be put in jail? What I was asked was to show where the laws were not being enforced. This is clearly an example of that...................

    Anyone who thinks I think that anyone should be thrown in jail for having a magazine in his possession either has not been paying attention...or is more than just a little slow...
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,872 Senior Member
    Pierce Morgan is perfect example of "the first amendment is ok as long as you say what is acceptable" otherwise we'll deport you for expressing your opinion.
    I went and checked....I don't see anyone on this site advocating Morgan be deported....

    What are you saying here? That if something falls outside of the realm of this forum, no one is allowed to talk about it? Or is that I'm not supposed to talk about it?

    Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    He is a journalist. Displaying that chingadera while offensive to your delicate sensitivities was used to make a journalistic point. So yeah it is right there in the freedom of the press.

    I don't give a rat's red butt if if he waves the thing in front of the Queen Mother at high tea on Sunday...

    Do me a favor, I cannot find where it's OK to commit a felony just to present a news story. Can you show me?
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    What are you saying here? That if something falls outside of the realm of this forum, no one is allowed to talk about it? Or is that I'm not supposed to talk about it?

    Just trying to figure out why you seem to be trying to apply that screwy thinking to this discussion.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I didn't read all of these, but the first three were as expected. The first one looks like an illegal search; the second conviction was overturned on appeal, and the third link (oh the irony) the police wrongfully detained a guy who was legally within his rights to carry a firearm. So thanks for proving my point.

    Sherb, did you read this part of my post?
    No, I did not thoroughly vet each of the above examples above as I am only trying to explain "where it comes from". To laymen who are not aware of the complexity of the lay, or how it is applied, all the stories I linked to above either sound like a deal was cut, or famous people were let off the hook, or politics stepped in....that may be wrong, but that is the impression.

    I left out several stories where law enforcement had somehow fouled up the case (improper search, etc.) and a few where, honestly.

    There's a couple (maybe more) where the law being violated probably needs to be looked at, and some where the decision looks like it was indeed "common sense".

    ...but it is stories like the above that give the public the idea that gun laws are not enforced.

    You asked where it comes from, I provided you a bunch of examples. All it takes is for a few to be real and your point is anything but proven....and we have your own words as proof that you'll let the gun crimes slide as long as you think you can get the conviction for something that'll put the guy away.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,547 Senior Member
    I don't give a rat's red butt if if he waves the thing in front of the Queen Mother at high tea on Sunday...

    Do me a favor, I cannot find where it's OK to commit a felony just to present a news story. Can you show me?

    I guess it is too complicated a concept for you to follow. So I see no reason to pursue this further.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • daily+double.jpg

    And he goes for the daily double on Sherb's real world post.
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    I guess it is too complicated a concept for you to follow. So I see no reason to pursue this further.

    ...so you can't show me....
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,872 Senior Member
    What are you saying here? That if something falls outside of the realm of this forum, no one is allowed to talk about it? Or is that I'm not supposed to talk about it?
    Just trying to figure out why you seem to be trying to apply that screwy thinking to this discussion.

    I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about; "that screwy thinking"? I have, just like you, the same right to opinions and the same right to post them here. If you don't understand something, that doesn't mean it's screwy.

    careful

    Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

  • I guess it is too complicated a concept for you to follow. So I see no reason to pursue this further.
    Plate-spinning3.jpg

    He's got too many plates spinning hard to keep track of them all.
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    ...and now a brief pause for a pointless picture, animation, or pithy comment from the passive aggressive peanut gallery...
    greenman wrote: »
    daily+double.jpg

    And he goes for the daily double on Sherb's real world post.

    Right on schedule. Predictable and dull.

    Did you study passive aggressive in school? 'Cuz you're...like...really, really good at it.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • And the petulant whining that comes when you can't keep track of your argument or double down on stuff you know nothing about. i.e. Sherb's jog.
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about; "that screwy thinking"? I have, just like you, the same right to opinions and the same right to post them here. If you don't understand something, that doesn't mean it's screwy.

    careful

    The screwy thinking that says we should deport any one, Mike.

    Opine away, you're as entitled as anyone.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,872 Senior Member

    Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    And the petulant whining that comes when you can't keep track of your argument or double down on stuff you know nothing about. i.e. Sherb's jog.

    Sherb's jog?

    If you mean "job", you're missing the point. I get the complexity of the job. But the man asked where we get the idea that gun laws are not enforced, and we have his own words to show that they are not.

    One of the problems we have with guns, heck, with a lot of things, is that we simply don't have the cultural guts to hold people responsible for their actions.

    None of it will get better until we start doing that.

    At the same time, we should be making sure what laws we have make sense, and that we're providing the right kinds of support for the people in our society that need it while making sure they don't do the kinds of things that sparked this whole debate...
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member

    I saw something - maybe it was here - about deporting Morgan, thought is was incredibly stupid, and blew it off. Thanks for the links.

    People continue to amaze me....I can understand not liking what the guy said, even to the point of anger...but deportation?
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,872 Senior Member
    Gee, thanks for the apology.

    Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

  • Sherb's jog?

    If you mean "job", you're missing the point. I get the complexity of the job. But the man asked where we get the idea that gun laws are not enforced, and we have his own words to show that they are not.

    One of the problems we have with guns, heck, with a lot of things, is that we simply don't have the cultural guts to hold people responsible for their actions.

    None of it will get better until we start doing that.

    And Sherb explained the reasons that laws are not enforced to their full extent each time. Yet Mr. ForthRightlandia land here knows best.
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Gee, thanks for the apology.

    I thought that's what I wrote- I'll be more formal - sorry for the misinterpretation. My bad.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    And Sherb explained the reasons that laws are not enforced to their full extent each time.

    We seem to be going around in circles here:
    I get the complexity of the job. But the man asked where we get the idea that gun laws are not enforced, and we have his own words to show that they are not.

    One of the problems we have with guns, heck, with a lot of things, is that we simply don't have the cultural guts to hold people responsible for their actions.

    None of it will get better until we start doing that.

    If you checked the examples I provided, you'd see that there is a guy who shot a dog and got 20 months for that...and they dropped the gun charges. I can't personally think of any reasons why the gun charges should not be prosecuted in addition to the animal cruelty charges. I said it above, and I'll say it again: this is exactly the kind of nut that serves time, gets let out and in a few years does something horrendous...and then we all look back and see the red flag...

    If - and if I had to guess, this might be what's going on - prosecutors know they can't get both charges effectively prosecuted because judges or juries won't give sentencing for both...maybe that's an area that we should be looking at hard. IMO, we should not be trading one for the other, we should be using both.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,872 Senior Member
    If - and if I had to guess, this might be what's going on - prosecutors know they can't get both charges effectively prosecuted because judges or juries won't give sentencing for both...maybe that's an area that we should be looking at hard. IMO, we should not be trading one for the other, we should be using both.

    You should ask Sherb, really... you should.

    Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    You should ask Sherb, really... you should.
    I will PM him - thanks.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.