Do ISPs keep your "deleted" emails?

FishTXFishTX Super ModeratorPosts: 7,935 Senior Member
I got a use laptop from my best friend for a late birthday/Christmas present. It has Windows 7 on it and I found out it doesn't have an email program like Outlook. I downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird to try it out and once set up, it received 699x emails. They were deleted from my desktop, but not the ISP system.

One nice thing about it, is I am now recovering "lost" email addresses and mail I wished I'd kept. :D
"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Replies

• Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    I have heard it said more than once "Once it's been sent, it's out there forever."

...I think you'll like Thunderbird, I've used it before. I really like having an e-mail program that's not essentially part of my operating system. I use Firefox for the same reason.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • ...I think you'll like Thunderbird, I've used it before.

Yeah, who doesn't love Thunderbird?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTj5cmAgFVYum4iTD91XWirmwalhxnQx2qzf_b1tMou0vQR4QgPnVv-dl6
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,935 Senior Member
    I use Firefox and Chrome. Chrome is for the odd problem with Firefox which doesn't happen often. I didn't know what Thunderbird was till I found out I needed a email program that could use my email account through my ISP. So far, I like it, but I haven't done much other than delete mail and save supposedly lost email addresses (and say hello to people I haven't emailed in awhile).
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,935 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    Yeah, who doesn't love Thunderbird?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTj5cmAgFVYum4iTD91XWirmwalhxnQx2qzf_b1tMou0vQR4QgPnVv-dl6
    Never tried it, but then I never tried Mad Dog 20/20 and Ripple.

• FishTX wrote: »

Don't run out to buy any of it. I think even drunks would turn up their noses to this crap.

My uncle, who is quite an odd duck, used to have a carp (yes you read that correctly) feed and screw top wine tasting party.

People would bring culinary delights like carp spaghetti or other wonderful delights and frequently $hit even worse than MD 20/20 or TBird was found.

Luckily they had real fod and booze too, but some of the nasty things people could find were certainly entertaining
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,872 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »

First thing I ever got drunk on. 14 years old, and technicolor barf.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,799 Senior Member
    Windows 7 includes "Windows Live Mail" or a link to it; also a calendar program, I think. I was gifted Office 2010 so I have not used the built-ins.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,539 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    I got a use laptop from my best friend for a late birthday/Christmas present. It has Windows 7 on it and I found out it doesn't have an email program like Outlook. I downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird to try it out and once set up, it received 699x emails. They were deleted from my desktop, but not the ISP system.

One nice thing about it, is I am now recovering "lost" email addresses and mail I wished I'd kept. :D

You generally have to make a setting selection for the period of time emails are kept on the ISP server. When you delete them in Outlook they are not automatically deleted at the ISP.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.