What is the over/under line

Replies

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    for going over the "cliff"?

Somebody's thinking outside the box...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    It's in everybody's political interest to go over.

except all us poor suckers whose first priority is NOT to score political points for their party.

so it should be obvious: we're goin' over.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,011 Senior Member
    As Damon Runyon famously observed, "everything in life is six-to-five against".

The let it happen argument looks promising at this late date. Fixing it is politically easier than preventing it. If Republicans, for example, vote next year to "cut taxes" for everyone earning less than $250K, that is a lot better for them to run on than to vote now to "raise taxes" on everyone earning more than $250K. For Dems, voting next year to "cut the payroll tax" sounds better in election ads than voting this year to maintain the current lower rate.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • 6 to 5 and pick 'em.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Wonder how this affects the Ol' credit rating??

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,271 Senior Member
    I think based on what I am seeing they are preparing the people for a dive off the cliff in hopes that they can at least land in the deep water and avoid the jagged rocks.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Obama's tax cut on Social Security is about to expire. We're going back up to 6.2%.

I miss Obama, the tax cutter.
  • I'd put my money on last mintue deal which will solve jack $hit...all this was supposed to prevent kicking the can, but I am betting the can will be good for at least a 50+ yarder.
  • JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    I'd put my money on last mintue deal which will solve jack $hit...all this was supposed to prevent kicking the can, but I am betting the can will be good for at least a 50+ yarder.

Right through the uprights... Hey maybe this guy should run for office
  • Tick tock you sacks of $hit.
  • At this point I don't know why Obama came out this morning for a statement. Seems he's already pissed off McCain. Maybe he wants to spur them forward or make it easier to lay the blame at their feet if this doesn't happen.
  • greenman wrote: »
    At this point I don't know why Obama came out this morning for a statement. Seems he's already pissed off McCain. Maybe he wants to spur them forward or make it easier to lay the blame at their feet if this doesn't happen.

Well I hope they weren't actually watching and were working, but then again this would require them to do their jobs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.