NRA clarifies its stance on arming schools

Seem's Lil Wayne ain't allowed outside the compound no more.

"Some will want police officers there. Others of them will want private security guards," David Keene said in an exclusive CNN interview. "There may be some place they want volunteers to do it. We're willing to work with everybody on those questions."

"I call on Congress today to act immediately to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every single school in this nation and to do it now to make sure that blanket safety is in place when our kids return to school in January," he said.

"Whether an individual school wants that kind of protection or doesn't want that kind of protection is really up to the individual school," Keene said. "And when we made that statement, when Wayne LaPierre spoke about a week ago, he suggested that what has to happen, and what should happen, is in every school district, administrators, teachers and parents should sit down and ask what's needed to protect the students in that school."

Keene seemed to be broadening the NRA's position by encouraging wider discussion, said Mo Canady, executive director of the National Association of School Resource Officers, a nonprofit nonpolitical group that trains armed officers in schools.

But Canady is alarmed that the NRA thinks "armed guards" in school is a solution.

In his nationally televised address on December 21, LaPierre said armed guards should work in school like they do at "airports, office buildings, power plants, court houses, even sports stadiums."

"We want some clarification on what he means by armed guard," said Canady. "An officer working in a school has to work with students, be engaged in the school day, develop relationships with students. They must be trained to do that, to be involved."

"We feel that could create more problems than it solves," he said.


While talk continued, in Utah teachers were learning how to shoot.

The Utah Shooting Sports Council and the Utah-based website opsgear.com are offering a free shooting class this week to teachers.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/27/us/nra-president-interview/index.html?hpt=po_c2

Replies

  • the answer to gun violence is more guns

    it's in the Bible
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,426 Senior Member
    Right. So the next time we have a shooter, instead of calling the cops (more gun violence), maybe we should call the bakery or perhaps the florist.

    Lets fight gun violence with petunia violence.
  • congratulations ... not thinking thru the problem any further than the end of a barrel is precisely what the NRA desires and expects from you ... they love that you have not disappointed

    btw, a review of gun violence in this country shows that the land south of the mason jar line 'owns' this special American cultural practice

    please point to where I have said that we should 'disarm' ourselves ... you can either keep jumping the shark or step outside the box and realize the NRA hasn't offered anything new to solving this issue in our society ... the approach for 20+ years is lets all strap on our shootin' irons pard just like they did in the Old West when everyone respected one another and there wasn't any crime ... thing is that's an image from 1950's Hollywood and with respect to historical facts an outright lie ... meaning ... it's hasn't worked so far and it's not going to work

    and as usual in this debate ... I have asked several times and the pro-mo-guns side hasn't answered (predictably) ... so once again

    why is it ... if more guns are the answer and we per capita own the most guns per person privately, then why is it we lead the industrialized world in violent gun crime instead of less crime because we are better armed? so more hasn't worked but even more will ... funny how the gun crowd is usually right wing and they use this same format of an argument to condemn gubbmint spending but when it comes to their precious 'guns' (Full Metal Jacket) it's completely rational
  • As witnessed by the Idaho interview on CNN this morning dealing with teachers being trained with guns where a fourth grade teacher was asked by the anchor. "You teach fourth grade but what about a teacher your size (she looked like she was about 110lb soaking wet) if a large student took your gun away from you?" She responded that she had taken self defense classes and was able to take down a person larger than herself. Then the gun instructor went on a rant about "the bad guys having more raights than the good guys and mentioned Meranda. We are an exceptional nation alright.
  • greenman wrote: »
    As witnessed by the Idaho interview on CNN this morning dealing with teachers being trained with guns where a fourth grade teacher was asked by the anchor. "You teach fourth grade but what about a teacher your size (she looked like she was about 110lb soaking wet) if a large student took your gun away from you?" She responded that she had taken self defense classes and was able to take down a person larger than herself. Then the gun instructor went on a rant about "the bad guys having more raights than the good guys and mentioned Meranda. We are an exceptional nation alright.

    so Miranda Rights are the reason we have more crime

    it's almost laughable about how the 'freedom' crowd are always in favor of steps closer to a police state and don't even know it

    oh and was the 110 pound teach somewhat younger? cuzz I love how the Tai Bo crowd think they have mastered self defense by kicking into the air
  • monkeydoes wrote: »
    so Miranda Rights are the reason we have more crime

    it's almost laughable about how the 'freedom' crowd are always in favor of steps closer to a police state and don't even know it

    oh and was the 110 pound teach somewhat younger? cuzz I love how the Tai Bo crowd think they have mastered self defense by kicking into the air

    Yes she looked to be one of those right out of college teachers. Before they introduced her I thought she was maybe a high school student. I got socks older than her.

    She said she'd always have the weapon on her side. ****. Unless she's got eyes in the back of her head taking that gun from her would be nothing for you average large high school kid. Makes it kind of tough to give kids a lecture about how violence is not the way to solve problems when you're strapped with a pistol. I waiting for a news anchor to ask one of these new Rambo Educators if down deep they would have no problem taking a human life? Cause that's what it really comes down to and most teachers I know are not built that way.
  • greenman wrote: »
    Yes she looked to be one of those right out of college teachers. Before they introduced her I thought she was maybe a high school student. I got socks older than her.

    She said she'd always have the weapon on her side. ****. Unless she's got eyes in the back of her head taking that gun from her would be nothing for you average large high school kid. Makes it kind of tough to give kids a lecture about how violence is not the way to solve problems when you're strapped with a pistol. I waiting for a news anchor to ask one of these new Rambo Educators if down deep they would have no problem taking a human life? Cause that's what it really comes down to and most teachers I know are not built that way.

    In the Old West, might makes right and the good guys were always fasterests on the draw ... it's in the Bible

    it's in the Die Hard movies too
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    New part of the Curriculum- How to Kill and not be bothered by your Conscience...

    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,426 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    btw, a review of gun violence in this country shows that the land south of the mason jar line 'owns' this special American cultural practice

    Really?

    4/20/1999 Columbine, CO 13 dead
    7/29/1999 Atlanta, GA 12 dead
    9/15/1999 Fort Worth, TX 7
    12/26/2000 Wakefield, MA 7
    7/8/2003 Meridian, MS 7
    3/12/2005 Brookfield, WI 9
    3/21/2005 Red Lake, MN 9
    3/25/2006 Seattle, WA 7
    10/2/2006 Lancaster, PA 5
    2/12/2007 Salt Lake City, UT 5
    4/16/2007 Virginia Tech 32
    12/5/2007 Omaha, NE 9
    2/7/2008 Kirkwood, MO 6
    2/14/2008 Illinois University 6
    3/29/2009 Carthage, NC 8
    4/3/2009 Binhamton, NY 13
    11/5/2009 Fort Hood, TX 13 (terrorist event)
    8/3/2010 Manchester, CT 9
    1/8/2011 Tucson, AZ 6
    9/6/2011 Carson City, NV 5
    10/14/2011 Seal Beach, CA 8
    2/27/2012 Chardon, OH 3
    4/2/2012 Oakland, CA 7
    4/6/2012 Tulsa, OK 3
    5/29/2012 Seattle, WA 5
    6/20/2012 Aurora, CO 12
    8/5/2012 Oak Creek, WI 6
    9/27/2012 Minneapolis, MN 5
    12/11/2012 Clackamas, OR 2
    12/14/2012 Newton, CT 27

    Those in bold are below the "Mason Jar" line. I'd say you are incorrect. If we are labeling a region as having an itchy trigger finger, the statistics clearly point to those ABOVE said line.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun."


    This message sent by the ghost of John Wayne on Tapatalk.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • My mom was having trouble in her neighborhood with a guy that was attacking seniors in the middle of the day. Just beating the **** out of them in their yards and in their homes. I talked to her about taking the 32 revolver out of the safe and keeping it on her for the time being. She's always been shy of guns. So I asked her if she'd be able to shoot someone? "No". I told her to lock the gun back up. Then I called my detective buddy and he said he'd go over to her house and check for security issues. He did and left her with a can of that industrial strength cop pepper spray and told her to carry it with her on her morning walks. Pepper spray in one hand and cell phone in the other. If anyone approached her she didn't know, spray them then call him. It's nice to have old high school friends in certain professions.

    They finally caught the guy. Seems he'd killed a woman in Palmetto with a typewriter. He's looking at a needle.
  • Buffco wrote: »
    Really?

    4/20/1999 Columbine, CO 13 dead
    7/29/1999 Atlanta, GA 12 dead
    9/15/1999 Fort Worth, TX 7
    12/26/2000 Wakefield, MA 7
    7/8/2003 Meridian, MS 7
    3/12/2005 Brookfield, WI 9
    3/21/2005 Red Lake, MN 9
    3/25/2006 Seattle, WA 7
    10/2/2006 Lancaster, PA 5
    2/12/2007 Salt Lake City, UT 5
    4/16/2007 Virginia Tech 32
    12/5/2007 Omaha, NE 9
    2/7/2008 Kirkwood, MO 6
    2/14/2008 Illinois University 6
    3/29/2009 Carthage, NC 8
    4/3/2009 Binhamton, NY 13
    11/5/2009 Fort Hood, TX 13 (terrorist event)
    8/3/2010 Manchester, CT 9
    1/8/2011 Tucson, AZ 6
    9/6/2011 Carson City, NV 5
    10/14/2011 Seal Beach, CA 8
    2/27/2012 Chardon, OH 3
    4/2/2012 Oakland, CA 7
    4/6/2012 Tulsa, OK 3
    5/29/2012 Seattle, WA 5
    6/20/2012 Aurora, CO 12
    8/5/2012 Oak Creek, WI 6
    9/27/2012 Minneapolis, MN 5
    12/11/2012 Clackamas, OR 2
    12/14/2012 Newton, CT 27

    Those in bold are below the "Mason Jar" line. I'd say you are incorrect. If we are labeling a region as having an itchy trigger finger, the statistics clearly point to those ABOVE said line.

    **** Buffy thems some good googlein skills. Can you teach F/N how to do that?
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    as for the "the old west"..... most killing was executed from ambush and from behind. It's the American way.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • **** straight bullets weren't cheap back then.
  • Buffco wrote: »
    Really?

    yes really I was speaking to the aspect of violence in America ... not simple just mass shootings

    but continue to parse data so it only reflects your 'beliefs' because that's just how some people believe 'facts' are made ... and making them is what's important

    http://www.kieranhealy.org/blog/archives/2012/07/21/assault-deaths-within-the-united-states/

    which is what's referenced in an early post on this forum ... but then both take a bit of reading so likely weren't

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/nine-facts-about-guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/
    6. The South is the most violent region in the United States.

    In a subsequent post, Healy drilled further into the numbers and looked at deaths due to assault in different regions of the country. Just as the United States is a clear outlier in the international context, the South is a clear outlier in the national context:
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    **** Buffy thems some good googlein skills. Can you teach F/N how to do that?

    Sorry, sweetie. F/N's smarter than you- he knows that if he wastes an hour Googling stuff he'll have to endure another 5 pages of your cute little pictures, snippy comments denials about veracity of the data and/or claims the sources are biased.

    You're OK when you bother to discuss things honestly...on the occasions you bother.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Sherb asked for data. When you gonna produce it? Around here it's known as "The Mundinger Rule". Quit bitchin and start searching.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,129 Senior Member
    Sorry, sweetie. F/N's smarter than you- he knows that if he wastes an hour Googling stuff he'll have to endure another 5 pages of your cute little pictures, snippy comments denials about veracity of the data and/or claims the sources are biased.

    You're OK when you bother to discuss things honestly...on the occasions you bother.

    Here is the issue. If you cannot produce the data to support your argument, you actually have to concede at the very least a portion of your position to the person that is actually in the trenches.

    Many of us have pre-conceived notion on how our judicial system works. I myself watch a lot of Law and Order. Some of those prejudices probably push Sherb's buttons. But when my prejudices are challenged by Sherb, Brian, or Pio, I tend to concede, or at the very least I don't double down.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Sherb and I have disagreed on many issues. I poke at him relentlessly and hope I'm never before him in a Idaho court cause I have no doubt the man does his job the best it allows.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,129 Senior Member
    Again this is already occurring in America's largest school districts. The idiocy is in thinking that this is the only approach necessary. But I do not see why we can agree on hardening the target in so many other places that are vulnerable and not this one. I have to question whether or not the resistance to this option is based solely on the source.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,129 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    Sherb and I have disagreed on many issues. I poke at him relentlessly and hope I'm never before him in a Idaho court cause I have no doubt the man does his job the best it allows.

    I have met him and he has a demeanor that does demand respect. He is also a good guy to fish with if you get the chance.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • I'm afraid he'd Baptize me for longer than needed.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,129 Senior Member
    Well if he didn't drown me, I think you're safe.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,426 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    I'm afraid he'd Baptize me for longer than needed.

    "Have you found Jesus, you drunkard?"

    "No sir, preacher, you sure this is where he fell in?"
  • Buffco wrote: »
    "Have you found Jesus, you drunkard?"

    "No sir, preacher, you sure this is where he fell in?"

    An olde yet very goodie.
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    Sherb asked for data. When you gonna produce it? Around here it's known as "The Mundinger Rule". Quit bitchin and start searching.

    He provided his own data, right in his post and admitted he'll let the gun crime slide if he thinks it'll be a wash.

    ...then there's the Media dope in DC who's "under investigation"...what other proof do they need beyond the video? If that was a regular citizen, they'd be in jail.

    That's good enough for me, and that's just two examples. We're not hitting the gun crimes anywhere near as hard as we should.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.