Judge Approves Bonuses for Hostess Execs During Company Liquidatin Process

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    well....they earned it!
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    These people have Private schools and Lexus' to pay for, ya know..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,269 Senior Member
    403056_10151158287881275_874423618_n.jpg
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    These guys managed the company for bankruptcy (second time) They deserved to be rewarded for this, they accomplished their goal...got paid and will likely retain their jobs when bought. What a deal eh?
  • How do you say Twinkie in Spanish?
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    403056_10151158287881275_874423618_n.jpg

That's funny....but...Iceland has 320,000 people in it. It might respond to a slightly different economic model than the US with about 320 million....

...heck, there's 5.7 million people in the state of WI, and we're not even a big state.....
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    These guys managed the company for bankruptcy (second time) They deserved to be rewarded for this, they accomplished their goal...got paid and will likely retain their jobs when bought. What a deal eh?

For them, sure. everyone else...not so much.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    How do you say Twinkie in Spanish?

Bendayo.

Go to your local Latin market and ask for them by name!
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,176 Senior Member
    It seems pretty crappy that those execs get the bonuses and the workers get crapped on.

The more stories I see like this though, it makes me wonder...What is so great about a union these days when you hear about union people losing their jobs or taking cuts in pay and benefits? It's a theme that is getting constantly repeated in the news these days.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,269 Senior Member
    And do you think getting rid of unions would make it better?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • joekrz wrote: »
    It seems pretty crappy that those execs get the bonuses and the workers get crapped on.

The more stories I see like this though, it makes me wonder...What is so great about a union these days when you hear about union people losing their jobs or taking cuts in pay and benefits? It's a theme that is getting constantly repeated in the news these days.

I thought you were about compromise? The union compromised twice if I remember the execs just took for themselves. Used to be unions could force management to compromise. Now Execs get paid the same or more if the company goes down the crapper.
  • Shawn C. wrote: »
    Bendayo.

Go to your local Latin market and ask for them by name!

I just had a disturbing vision of BrianD
    And do you think getting rid of unions would make it better?

Not sure. That's why I raise the question. It doesn't appear being in one makes things better.
  • You think that the Execs at Hostess would be paying them anything other than minimum wage if there wasn't a union for the workers?
  • greenman wrote: »
    You think that the Execs at Hostess would be paying them anything other than minimum wage if there wasn't a union for the workers?

Shut y'ur pie hole!
    HAP.jpg
    You think that the Execs at Hostess would be paying them anything other than minimum wage if there wasn't a union for the workers?

It's a question nobody knows the answer to. A union doesn't automatically equal a salary better than minimum wage. There are many non-union factories in the U.S. with good pay and benefits. For example...

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/29/business/la-fi-0329-autos-unions-20110329
  • history has shown Hostess execs weren't willing to work for less and are getting a bonus.
    history has shown Hostess execs weren't willing to work for less and are getting a bonus.

I'm not disputing that. I'm questioning the benefits of being in union.

If their purpose is to protect wages, benefits, jobs and working conditions, it appears that these days being in a union isn't accomplishing that.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Joe, I think you have to remember who set the standard for good wages and benefits.

Mike
    joekrz wrote: »
    It's a question nobody knows the answer to. A union doesn't automatically equal a salary better than minimum wage. There are many non-union factories in the U.S. with good pay and benefits. For example...

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/29/business/la-fi-0329-autos-unions-20110329
  • Good point Mike. Unions brought about the 40 hr work week or ol Joe might be doing less fishing than he does now and thirty five other reasons.

Weekends without work
    All breaks at work, including your lunch breaks
    Paid vacation
    Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
    Sick leave
    Social Security
    Minimum wage
    Civil Rights Act/Title VII - prohibits employer discrimination
    8-hour work day
    Overtime pay
    Child labor laws
    Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
    40-hour work week
    Workers’ compensation (workers’ comp)
    Unemployment insurance
    Pensions
    Workplace safety standards and regulations
    Employer health care insurance
    Collective bargaining rights for employees
    Wrongful termination laws
    Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
    Whistleblower protection laws
    Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) - prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee
    Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
    Compensation increases and evaluations (i.e. raises)
    Sexual harassment laws
    Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
    Holiday pay
    Employer dental, life, and vision insurance
    Privacy rights
    Pregnancy and parental leave
    Military leave
    The right to strike
    Public education for children
    Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 - requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work
    Laws ending sweatshops in the United States
    ricinus wrote: »
    Joe, I think you have to remember who set the standard for good wages and benefits.

Mike

Totally understand. And I don't dispute that either. But that was in the past and a majority of those things that unions fought for are now codified into law these days...as outlined in greenmans post.
    True, but a union does a lot more than just negotiate contracts. Things like representation at safety committees, grievances, adherence to contract, wrongful dismissal,sexual discrimination and harassment, ensuring workers know their rights and the list goes on. It is absolutely amazing what people try to put off-- and that's both workers and managers.

Mike
    Totally understand. But that was in the past and a majority of those things that unions fought for are now codified into law these days...as outlined in greenmans post.
    ricinus wrote: »
    Things like representation at safety committees, grievances, adherence to contract, wrongful dismissal,sexual discrimination and harassment, ensuring workers know their rights and the list goes on. It is absolutely amazing what people try to put off-- and that's both workers and managers.

I don't work for a union, but all of the aforementioned, except grievances, are covered by non-union employees.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    I don't work for a union, but all of the aforementioned, except grievances, are covered by non-union employees.

It appears that you are making the assumption that if you took away unions today, the laws they helped create would continue as they are. Laws can be changed as you are well aware but if unions are gone, who would protect and fight for those laws continuation?

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

A lot of companies and organizations have an excellent work environment, others not so much.

Mike
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    It appears that you are making the assumption that if you took away unions today, the laws they helped create would continue as they are. Laws can be changed as you are well aware but if unions are gone, who would protect and fight for those laws continuation?

Didn't Newt want to put children to work scrubbing toilets?
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson

For some reason I don't believe they would be reversed. Union membership in the u.s. only amounts to about 12% of the total workforce of wage and salary workers.

I can't imagine that those 12% are that influential on the laws that exist and protect us all these days.

Does this mean the 1% doesn't really influence Govt?? :eek:

Mike
    Unions, what's all this talk about unions? Unions didn't take down Hostess, Hostess took itself down. It refused to modernize for the last sixty years. You can't compete this way. But you can still give yourself a bonus each year because you saved all that money by not modernizing.

Changing the subject a bit, how about Cosco, now there is a company doing everything right, exceptional wages and bennies and doing just fine, with everyone happy from the top down. They are the complete opposite of Hostess and most other businesses in this country. It took my wife nearly twentyfive years to make what a four year employee at Cosco makes. ah but everyone knows teachers are overpaid.
    The majority of Costco locations are not unionized either. They have what's called an employee agreement.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.