Nypd

fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior MemberPosts: 24,271 Senior Member
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/nyregion/photo-of-officer-giving-boots-to-barefoot-man-warms-hearts-online.html?_r=0

Y-BOOTS-articleInline.jpg
The officer, normally assigned to the Sixth Precinct in the West Village, readily recalled the encounter. “It was freezing out and you could see the blisters on the man’s feet,” he said in an interview. “I had two pairs of socks and I was still cold.” They started talking; he found out the man’s shoe size: 12.

As the man walked slowly down Seventh Avenue on his heels, Officer DePrimo went into a Skechers shoe store at about 9:30 p.m. “We were just kind of shocked,” said Jose Cano, 28, a manager working at the store that night. “Most of us are New Yorkers and we just kind of pass by that kind of thing. Especially in this neighborhood.”

Mr. Cano volunteered to give the officer his employee discount to bring down the regular $100 price of the all-weather boots to a little more than $75. The officer has kept the receipt in his vest since then, he said, “to remind me that sometimes people have it worse.”
'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,011 Senior Member
    Nice story, good cop. Would that they all were.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,271 Senior Member
    I gotta say, that of all the cops I have encountered in my life, NYPD are probably the most human. Now of course that also comes with some massive shortcomings. But still, approachable and not the least bit stand-offish. I think part of that is because they actually walk a beat.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    good story, and I think you are right Chris, "walking a beat" is a part of that humanity.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,177 Senior Member
    Nice story. Good to see those types of things.

The first comment below however...wow...
    I have lived in a few cities and I gotta say I never felt as safe as I did in NYC. There were police everywhere and they were more often than not they were just one of the guys. I actually got confronted by an officer because I had my pocket knife clipped on my pocket. Apparently that was against the law. The officer just explained the law to me and let me go. I have seen my share of arrests and each of them was handled peacefully and professionally. Unlike what TV would have you believe most arrests do not involve tackling or even guns being drawn. The poor son of a gun is just suddenly surrounded by cops. I have seen them try to get guys in from the cold and could sit calmly talking to people with mental issues, people that actually give me the heebie jeebies.

In this town we have a downtown area that actually has good potential for economic development. I tell people that what we need are more police and each time people here don't support the idea. I wonder if it has something to do with the quality of police work they have witnessed.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    From what I've heard the "quality" is not the same as in NY. I haven't lived in either place so I don't really know.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,011 Senior Member
    I gotta say, that of all the cops I have encountered in my life, NYPD are probably the most human. Now of course that also comes with some massive shortcomings. But still, approachable and not the least bit stand-offish. I think part of that is because they actually walk a beat.

I have not lived or worked in NYC since 1970, so I am happy to hear that. Things were not always so good. In the 1950s and 1960s they were known as New York's Finest (The FinestThat Money Could Buy)

In recent years I feel much safer walking around than when I lived there. But there are some changes I really do not like, in particular the upper eastsideification of the upper west side, the near-disappearance of Little Italy and Germantown, and the new Disney version of Times Square.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    No NYPD feel good story is complete without Dennis Franz's ****.
    Yeah I don't like Times Square period. Too crowded and too many tourists. I like that it is cleaner and is more family friendly. What bothers me is that it is so Mid-West friendly. Who comes to New York to eat at a TGI Fridays or an Applebees?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member

That's what gripes me about these hard-charging tough guys we get down here. As rookies, they are immediately issued 100,000 dollars worth of car and equipment and set out with an "us vs. them" attitude. I wish they all had to walk a beat with nothing but handcuffs and a nightstick for the first year, but in a small town that's hard to do.
    Some of the NYPD guys used to carry a holster and weapon that must have been passed down to them by their grandfathers. But now I think they are all required to carry Glocks. I used used to work with a guy who was a cop in Denver for 20 years and he said in all that time he only drew his weapon once. He was a hell of an interesting guy.
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Cool story. It sucks there are people questioning the validity.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.