OK, some on-site engineering needed

Further NorthFurther North Senior MemberPosts: 1,699 Senior Member
I've got about 3 sq. feet of gold/silver mylar:

75742515-862A-4E0E-8FF1-58EFD8EE8C6C-6285-00001055EF2850CA.jpg

I peeled the sticker off....

It is the outer wrap to a ham I grilled today...it's clean, in good condition, and I can't help thinking there's several dozens of bass and pike flies there...

How can I slit this stuff down to what amounts to long strands of what would amount to tinsel? In a perfect world, I'd like to leave it uncut at one end both to keep it from becoming a useless mess in a bag, and to tie on as a collar so I don't have to mess around with individual strands...

Past experiments have shown paper shredders don't get the job done...knives are not sharp enough.
"Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."

Replies

• Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Some help from another site....and this'll get it done until I can make a better version.

DSCN0440.jpg
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    Some help from another site....and this'll get it done until I can make a better version.

DSCN0440.jpg

You used it yet? It looks dangerous in the hands of a toddler or me. Tinsel from the flyshop might be safer. ;)
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Have you tried rolling into a log and cutting with sharp scissors??

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    Don Newton wrote: »
    You used it yet? It looks dangerous in the hands of a toddler or me. Tinsel from the flyshop might be safer. ;)

I already cut myself while I was making it......

Tinsel from the flyshop doesn't allow me to A) Blow most of an evening on the project above, B) Recycle packaging into amazing, fish catching shiny things, or C) take pictures of home built contraptions and post them on the internet... ;)
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    I recently saw a pair of 'shredding' scissors advertised, but my CRS is kicking in and I can't remember where. Anyway, it consisted of a set of scissors with multiple blades and might fill your needs.

Jim
    Hmmmmm......

7580914670874P.JPG
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,777 Senior Member
    Better not be running with those babies.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

You could put an...eye?...out....
  • Auntie EmAuntie Em Senior Member Posts: 159 Senior Member
    How 'bout a straight edge, very careful folding , and a rotary wheel (for fabric cutting or paper)?? Just scooch the straight edge over for the exact width of mylar you want, and roll away!
    note of caution ... yes, these wheels are wonderful, but they are VERY sharp!
    Lord ... give me patience, and give it to me RIGHT NOW!!!!!
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    I can attest to the dangers of a cutting wheel. We once spent 2 1/2 hours in an emergency vet hospital getting a cat's paw sewn back together after he batted at one (twice) that my daughter was using to cut quilt squares.
    I suspect, though, Em, that using one with a strait edge isn't nearly 'quick and dirty' enough for this man's needs. Like the rest of us guys, iI it could be done with Primacord, he'd be much happier.

Jim
    PRIMACORD!

Why didn't I think of that!

...actually "quick and dirty" is fine - If I hadda guess I'd guess that extreme precsion is highly overrated in fly tying. Not a lot of perfect baitfish out there.
    'Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about five-eighths of an inch long."

Allison Moir

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file