Benghazi

Mr. RightMr. Right Senior MemberPosts: 535 Senior Member
If Obama loses, this may become a non-issue. If he wins, though, this one could be the next Watergate, Monicagate, or a lot worse.

Having lived through Watergate, and anti- Nixon at the time, I'd actually hate to see that happen. I suspect not many of you were politically sentient at the time. More of you may have been politically aware during the Clinton impeachment. Did you have to explain it to your teen kid? I did and it was not easy!

These things are not good for the fabric of our country. The more stuff that comes out about Benghazi, the more this one stinks to high heaven. A really bad WH decision at the start. A horrific WH cover up as thngs developed. Americans died because our president wanted to be re-elected. And our leaders repeatedly and deliberately lied to us about what happened.

Sandy is keeping folks distracted as we approach the elections, but this one is big. If Obama loses, it will go away quietly. If he wins, and the House remains R, it is going to erupt like a huge pimple.

The long term effects of that would be awful. Would you serve in our military, or overseas in our diplomatic corps, if you knew you could be betrayed like this by the CIC? Would you allow your kids to do so?

What happens to us as a nation when we, and our kids, lose all trust in the Federal Government?

Replies

• Back away from the pipe. This is in no way anything like Watergate.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member
    The left would be screaming the same as Mr. Right if this happened while Bush was in office. 100% Guaranteed.
  • Mr. Right wrote: »
    More of you may have been politically aware during the Clinton impeachment. Did you have to explain it to your teen kid? I did and it was not easy!

Rep. Bob Livingston is dat you?
    A Frankenstorm The Mainstream Media Won't Cover

Frankenstorm
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Every time I read the word Benghazi I think of the band Fugazi and realize I never really gave them a chance. I'm an uninformed voter.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Overall, Obama Policy in Libya replaced a hated dictator, Muammar Quadaffi. We (the CIA?) were trying to support our friends in a dangerous, unstable situation. The ambassador was in that case effectively a soldier on the battle front. What went down is still in dispute, but I have trouble thinking this was a huge gaffe by the presidency. Overall, our policy goals in Libya are on track, that is the important thing.

I wonder how many here remember President Reagan dispatching hundreds of Marines to Lebanon for very sketchy reasons, housed in a high rise, where they were sitting ducks for a huge truck bomb.
    The public gave him a pass on it, leading him to be called the "teflon president".

Lying about our overt and covert foreign policy activities has been kind of a given in Washington over the years, just ask EdB. i do think there may be a CIA back story to all of this.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,579 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    The left would be screaming the same as Mr. Right if this happened while Bush was in office. 100% Guaranteed.

No something worse happened. Remember the WTC?

Also in the Greenzone (you know the supposedly safe and secure zone in Baghdad?) a UN Ambassador was murdered in an attack on that office. Please the last Republican administration had so many foreign policy disasters that your entire party should be too embarrassed to make a thing about this.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Mr. Right wrote: »
    More of you may have been politically aware during the Clinton impeachment. Did you have to explain it to your teen kid? I did and it was not easy!

Explaining sex to a 1990's era teen! I'll bet it wasn't easy, with all the giggling.
    If they were too young to know what sex was, they were too young to bother explaining the news to.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Mr. Right wrote: »
    I suspect not many of you were politically sentient at the time. More of you may have been politically aware during the Clinton impeachment. Did you have to explain it to your teen kid? I did and it was not easy!

Did you explain all of it to your kid? The fact that a Rep by the name of Bob Livingston was also having a booty call on the side and got caught? Bob had to resign. Clinton got to stay. How you're equating the loss of life in Benghazi and Slick Willy having sex and lying about it is just beyond me.
  • joekrz wrote: »

Please find and state the historical hysteria you say came from the left in these incidences listed below.

- June 1976: US ambassador to Lebanon Francis Melloy, along with the economic attache and the embassy's driver are abducted and killed several months after the civil war broke out. Gerald Ford President.

- April 18, 1983: During the civil war in Lebanon, a huge bomb destroys the US embassy building in Beirut, killing 63 people including 12 Americans. Ronald Raygun President

- September 20, 1984: A car-bomb explodes outside a US embassy annex in Beirut, killing 24 people and injuring around 50. The US and British ambassadors to Lebanon are slightly injured. Ronald Raygun President

- January 29, 2005: A rocket fired by insurgents in Iraq hits the heavily-protected US embassy in Baghdad. Two Americans are killed, neither of them diplomats. George W. Bush President.

- March 2, 2006: A suicide car-bombing close to the US consulate in the Pakistani city of Karachi kills five people, one of them a US diplomat. George W Bush President
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I wonder how the victim's families feel, having their loved one's deaths parlayed into political footballs...

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    One mother is not happy and has asked the Romney campaign to stop.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,873 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I wonder how the victim's families feel, having their loved one's deaths parlayed into political footballs...

Mike

I wonder that too.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I wonder that too.

the right doesn't care.
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Benghazi-gate is just one more red herring to try to distract the voters from the fact that we're all fouled up in D.C.

The louder the right screams about it, the more it distracts their core from the fact that they spend just as much as the left, if not more...they just do it on their stuff
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Mr. RightMr. Right Senior Member Posts: 535 Senior Member
    There are times when the threads here inform me. Times when they interest me and cause me to rethink. Times when they surprise me. But the posts on this thread just plain leave me jaw-dropped amazed at the difference between LibThink and MyThink.

I can't imagine you all explaining these things to your sons in a way that makes sense.

Yes, son, he had these Americans being attacked by Islamic militants and begging for help. They were being pounded by heavy mortars and there was a guy on-site that had the mortar lazer lit with support aircraft up above that were capable of taking that mortar out. But the president decided it was better for his re-election if he pretended that this was not a terrorist attack, so he told everybody to just let those Americans die. And then he told everybody in his command to lie about it. If he is the POTUS, it is perfectly OK for him to lie to us all and command others to lie to us. You see, it is far more important than he be re-elected by people who can be persuaded that this was not a terrorist attack than he save those American lives.

Yes, son, men are interested in sex. Heck, even the president of the US is so interested in sex that he moistens his cigars in a young intern's ****. And it is perfectly OK if the POTUS lies about it afterward. There is absolutely no need for the POTUS to be a man of honor you can trust. Heck, lust beats honor everyday.

Nope, those are not conversations I've had with my kids. You?
  • Yes son the President had sex and the holier than thou crew went after him but their chief crusader was also caught as an adulterer.
    greenman wrote: »
    Please find and state the historical hysteria you say came from the left in these incidences listed below.

- June 1976: US ambassador to Lebanon Francis Melloy, along with the economic attache and the embassy's driver are abducted and killed several months after the civil war broke out. Gerald Ford President.

- April 18, 1983: During the civil war in Lebanon, a huge bomb destroys the US embassy building in Beirut, killing 63 people including 12 Americans. Ronald Raygun President

- September 20, 1984: A car-bomb explodes outside a US embassy annex in Beirut, killing 24 people and injuring around 50. The US and British ambassadors to Lebanon are slightly injured. Ronald Raygun President

- January 29, 2005: A rocket fired by insurgents in Iraq hits the heavily-protected US embassy in Baghdad. Two Americans are killed, neither of them diplomats. George W. Bush President.

- March 2, 2006: A suicide car-bombing close to the US consulate in the Pakistani city of Karachi kills five people, one of them a US diplomat. George W Bush President

I was referring to the left on this board and in the present if a republican were president right now.
  • Kinda hard to "100% guarantee" something that doesn't exist isn't it?
    The left on this board would be screaming the same as Mr. Right if this happened if Bush was in office right now. 100% Guaranteed.

Fixerated.
  • Butt Bush isn't in office right now. You're 100% guarantee has no backing in reality.
    It's a scenario greenie. If he was in office it would be happening. Some here wouldn't let it go.
  • It happened when Bush was in office. We had diplomats killed. Was there screaming here from the left on this board?
    You tell me. I wasn't a participant here at that time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  • So how can you make such a guarantee?
    Based on my observations here from the past 2 years.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    It's a scenario greenie. If he was in office it would be happening. Some here wouldn't let it go.

Again worse things happened and your scenario did not pan out.

And you would be defending the administration.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.