Is requiring an ID to vote racist?

2

Replies

  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    No wonder, just look at ya...



    :p

    Yeah really...I've been told that I look like Norman Bates...:D
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Mr. Right,

    Can you give us an estimate of how many cases of voter fraud have been found in our national election. Say 2008? Next week the GOP is gonna move back to guns or gays in the military or maybe all three seeing how they are gonna have to vote on the debt ceiling and don't want the zombies to notice.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    joekrz wrote: »
    Yeah really...I've been told that I look like Norman Bates...:D

    So... how's mom?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    Very schizophrenic these days.
  • M1911A1M1911A1 Senior Member Posts: 136 Senior Member
    Mr. Right wrote: »
    1911, I suspect your post is directed at me, even though I am registered as an Independent.

    I had never heard of voter caging before, so thanks for posting that link.

    Is caging patriotic? Hmm, I suspect that is the wrong phrase.

    Based on your link, is caging wrong? I don't think so as long as it is done right and for the right reasons. It looks like the answer to a question raised by one responder. How do we prevent voter fraud done via mail-in votes?

    I'm kind of surprised by most of the responses so far. I honestly don't feel that requiring a photo ID is racist at all. I know I don't have any racist thoughts as I support it. I actually feel that those who think it is racist are operating on racist beliefs. I believe it operates totally independently of race. It is only asking that you show the same proof of qualification when you vote as you are required to show for many other "transactions" and, in this case, the transaction is very important. Those who beleive it is racist are making assumptions about race that go way below what I consider to be fair or honest about foks who happen to be non-white.

    We will only believe in the results of our elections and give our support to the people elected if we believe that the voting was totally fair and honest. With photo ID required, I can believe in the result. (Even if it gets us another Obama term.) Without it, I have suspicions about the result. Were they valid voters? Did they only vote once?

    Why would anybody protest this very valid requirement??? Why should it be possible to cast a vote with less evidence than you need to check into a Motel 6?

    Get real!

    I hate the fact that somebody who pays zero taxes gets to cast a vote that is as valid as mine. It really galls me. But, know what? It is the law of the land and I support it. I just want only valid voters to vote and I want them to vote only one time.

    White, Black, brown, any gender, any orientation of any kind. Legitimate voters only. One vote. One time.


    theres this thing called Freedom that real Patriots believe in.

    But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt an assume you fall into one of two categories:, either youre MISINFORMED , OR, you see some GOP 'team advantage ' here

    if youre misinformed go out an find a few real stats on "voter fraud" that dont come from Limbaughs or Roger Ailes butt and youll see how yer bein played as a partisan toady

    But if youre just a lowlife partisan worm, your argument aint genuine and yep, probably bigoted

    stick around here ya add color
    "Its like I always tell ya kid, you gotta fight when you think its the right thing to do. Otherwise, you feel like your guts full of ****. Even if you get the hell beat outta ya, if ya fight, ya feel ok about it."
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Mr. Right wrote: »
    I hate the fact that somebody who pays zero taxes gets to cast a vote that is as valid as mine. It really galls me. But, know what? It is the law of the land and I support it. I just want only valid voters to vote and I want them to vote only one time.

    White, Black, brown, any gender, any orientation of any kind. Legitimate voters only. One vote. One time.

    no one pays 'zero' taxes ... 1911 has your number alright
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    joekrz wrote: »
    I recently traveled (last month) from WI to TX to CO and then back to WI. I had to show an ID at every motel I checked into along with giving them my license plate number.

    Did ya pay with a credit card?

    How dare that motel chain protect your credit card for you like that by asking you to prove you are the name on the card ... the outrage!

    and how dare that motel see to it that their premises are secure and their parking available for their patrons ... ya it's just like voting

    once again like your grasp of history your disconnect is complete
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,246 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »
    I believe what he is suggesting, is that it is a general trend in the news media to report that voter ID is racist.

    You watch way too much Faux News or are logging into WND, nobody in the media is saying this either.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Have none of you noticed that Mr. Right is ionly taking to himself. First he asks if the requirement racist. Then 16 different people point out that regardless of whether its racist, it's a dumb idea and/or difficult to implement in a wya that is consistent with democratic principles. Then Mr. Right comes ack and complains about everyone who thinks its ractist. He's not smarat enough to have a give and take conversation with people who disagree with him, so he sets up the debate on terms he has already decided, and as to which he has marshalled his arguments, and reached his conclusoin, and then he pretneds that conversation actually occurs, regardless of what the rest of us write. It's very Palin-esque, demonstrates amazing intellectual laziness, and is pointless to engage.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    zipcommissbw.gif

    This may come in handy for any new dialogue with Mr. Wrong.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    Did ya pay with a credit card?

    How dare that motel chain protect your credit card for you like that by asking you to prove you are the name on the card ... the outrage!

    and how dare that motel see to it that their premises are secure and their parking available for their patrons ... ya it's just like voting

    once again like your grasp of history your disconnect is complete

    Your way out in left field with this response.

    Go back to your cage.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    not hardly

    my bad I forgot that voting was just like going to a motel
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,972 Senior Member
    Myself, I don't see the problem with voter verification.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Buford wrote: »
    Myself, I don't see the problem with voter verification.

    Sad very sad.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Jamespio wrote: »
    Have none of you noticed that Mr. Right is ionly taking to himself. First he asks if the requirement racist. Then 16 different people point out that regardless of whether its racist, it's a dumb idea and/or difficult to implement in a wya that is consistent with democratic principles. Then Mr. Right comes ack and complains about everyone who thinks its ractist. He's not smarat enough to have a give and take conversation with people who disagree with him, so he sets up the debate on terms he has already decided, and as to which he has marshalled his arguments, and reached his conclusoin, and then he pretneds that conversation actually occurs, regardless of what the rest of us write. It's very Palin-esque, demonstrates amazing intellectual laziness, and is pointless to engage.

    confirmatory evidence for my theory that "Mr. Right" = Kan-man, reincarnated.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    confirmatory evidence for my theory that "Mr. Right" = Kan-man, reincarnated.

    If it's Kan, he took a crash course in grammar and punctuation during the down time.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    not hardly

    my bad I forgot that voting was just like going to a motel

    I'm not sure where you are going with this???? My response was in regards to Greenmans statement. Go back and re-read.

    I have no problems showing my ID at a motel.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Maybe you should stop staying at Motels that charge by the hour.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    try to explain how showing your ID in order to pay for something with a credit card and identifying your vehicle in order to utilize parking reserved for patrons is same same as voting
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    try to explain how showing your ID in order to pay for something with a credit card and identifying your vehicle in order to utilize parking reserved for patrons is same same as voting

    ???? Wow,your still way off. Message board misinterpretation at it's finest. Either that or your assuming that is what I meant with my response. Back into the cage...
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    My wife makes us stay at nicer places. Dive Inn isn't on her list.

    hampton-inn-entrance.jpg
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    If you've ever had the pleasure of rolling through N. GA there's a bunch of hotels now run by folks from India. All with the last name Patel (it's a cultural thang). When I was in college with my soon to be bride we used to stop in that area on return trips to Florida. One night in December at the "Dive Inn" we were staying on the second floor of this palace and at around three in the AM a loud conversation began below us. After about 10 minutes and a call to the desk I decided to ask the miscreants to tone it down. I leaned over the rail and asked the drunken **** below us if she might lower her voice as people were trying to sleep. She began saying things about my momma so I walked back in picked up the ice bucket that still had ice in it and filled it with water to the rim. My better half asked me what I was planning on doing. "Making her go away" was my response. I went out the door leaned over the rail and waited for her to appear again. She did screaming at someone in front of her. I poured the entire contents on her. She elevated the screaming and in between I heard laughing. My better half said I was crazy and she might do something. I told her she better do something quick cause it was all of 25 degree outside. She continued for about five more minutes then left.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I have a question. Didn't everyone have to show some form of ID to register to vote in the first place?

    If so what is the big deal with having to show it again?
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    dryflie wrote: »
    The real incident of voter fraud is incredibly minute so any attempt to suggest the ID idea is designed to reduce fraud is itself a fraud. The real reason for voter ID or other bills requiring early voter registration is to make it difficult for the poor or disadvantaged to vote. These people typically vote Democrat and the people pushing these bills are primarily Republican.

    someone enlighten me and tell me why poor and disadvantaged people don't have IDs.
    thanks.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,246 Senior Member
    Maybe they are hiding from creditors? I really do not know all the reasons. But some people operate under the radar. Since a state issued ID is not mandatory for citizenship, I fail to see the advantage to keeping people from voting.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Mr. RightMr. Right Senior Member Posts: 535 Senior Member
    Because the law says you can vote only if you are a citizen and that you can vote only once. Without requiring a government issued photo ID we cannot assure that this is happening, nor can we measure how much fraud is ocurring or being attempted.

    Nobody complains when photo ID is required to board a plane, cash a check, buy booze or cigarettes, or check into a Motel 6. But require it to vote and the folks on the left object big time. Witness E.J. Dionne.
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/jun/20/e-j-dionne-suppression-ultimate-goal-of-voter/

    Turn it around. Can you provide a good argument why photo ID should not be a requirement for voting when it is a requirement for so many other transactions in our country? Given the vital importance of the vote's outcome, is there a good reason to leave it open to doubt about its validity?

    I didn't start this thread as a troll. I was honestly perplexed by the outrage about voter ID I had seen from people like Dionne and was looking for the thinking that underlies it.

    In a world where we are all being honest and impartial, I don't think there would be any argument about this. The responses to this thread lead me to increase my belief, though, that those who lean left know or suspect they are benefitting from voter fraud and want to preserve the staus quo.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member

    In a world where we are all being honest and impartial, I don't think there would be any argument about this. The responses to this thread lead me to increase my belief, though, that those who lean left know or suspect they are benefiting from voter fraud and want to preserve the staus quo.

    This is where your assumption is dead wrong. Nobody wants to benefit from voter fraud, nobody. And the real fact is no one does because voter fraud is a myth, it just doesn't happen in any significant way. And the GOP knows this! Those of us on the left do not see this issue as an attempt to prevent fraud but rather as a way to prevent or dissuade the poor, the young, the elderly, typical democrat voters, from voting. By requiring an ID and more frequently early registration you put obstacles in the way of people and hinder their ability to vote. For every possible fraudulent voter you might catch you prevent 100 legitimate people from voting.

    20 years ago when a national ID was proposed the GOP had a heart attack and opposed it vehemently. Now it's a great idea?
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    someone enlighten me and tell me why poor and disadvantaged people don't have IDs.
    thanks.

    Many poor people do not own cars or drive, they have no need for a license and may not have the money to get one. Many elderly people no longer drive and do not have a license. A (small) percentage of college age students do not drive and do not have licenses.
    Studies show that up to 11% of citizens don’t have a photo ID. Forcing voters to buy cards has made states the target of lawsuits claiming such costs amount to a modern-day poll tax. To solve the problem, many states now issue free ID cards, but it’s expensive: In 2009, Wisconsin (3.5 million voters) projected a total $2.4 million cost.

    The projected cost in Texas, a state with a $10B deficit, is $20M.

    Here's an excellent and much more articulate article on the issue. Please take a minute to read it.

    http://www.onewisconsinnow.org/blog/2011/01/why-voter-id-is-bad-for-wisconsin.html
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    Forget the voter ID card. I think you should have to show both a W-2 and the deed or mortgage to a piece of property.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.