Romney hails Israeli health care.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-romney-israel-healthcare-20120731,0,7649342.story

Health care in Israel is universal and participation in a medical insurance plan is compulsory. Health care coverage is administered by a small number of organizations, with funding from the government. All Israeli citizens are entitled to the same Uniform Benefits Package, regardless of which organization they are a member of, and treatment under this package is funded for all citizens regardless of their financial means. Generally, health care in Israel is of high-quality and is delivered in an efficient and effective manner. Partly as a result of this, at an overall 82 years, Israelis enjoy the fourth-longest life expectancy in the world as of 2012.

Wow!

Replies

• dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    yeah, that universal Healthcare really sucks.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-romney-israel-healthcare-20120731,0,7649342.story

Health care in Israel is universal and participation in a medical insurance plan is compulsory. Health care coverage is administered by a small number of organizations, with funding from the government. All Israeli citizens are entitled to the same Uniform Benefits Package, regardless of which organization they are a member of, and treatment under this package is funded for all citizens regardless of their financial means. Generally, health care in Israel is of high-quality and is delivered in an efficient and effective manner. Partly as a result of this, at an overall 82 years, Israelis enjoy the fourth-longest life expectancy in the world as of 2012.

Wow!

Hey I said that already. (ha) Don't forget that there are only not for profit insurance companies in Israel too. That's one of the ways they keep costs down. grin. But we are told the market will keep the costs down...yeah, sure thing.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Wetdog wrote: »
    Hey I said that already. (ha) Don't forget that there are only not for profit insurance companies in Israel too. That's one of the ways they keep costs down. grin. But we are told the market will keep the costs down...yeah, sure thing.

I believe about 1/3 of Israelis get coverage from private for profit companies.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,890 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I believe about 1/3 of Israelis get coverage from private for profit companies.
    So, the non-profit thing works for 67% of the population? How well it works is an important question, but I'd guess pretty good. Israel ranks about fourth in life longevity. While there are other factors at play, I'd guess healthcare is no small part of that.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    It's 100% Jewish doctors.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,372 Senior Member

And that's different from the US how? ;)

And the government behind them. Interesting fact about Israel I learned recently. Tay-Sachs disease is a devastating fatal condition and for a long time affected the Jewish community more than any other community. Over the years Blood testing (which is quite expensive) was made available to every citizen in Israel free of charge. The result is that the incident of the disease has been significantly reduced (at least in Israel). In America today testing is not covered by insurance until a women is pregnant (too **** late unless you're willing to abort). Have a child with Tay-Sachs in America and in many states Medicaid is unavailable, and until Obamacare was passed the insurance company could turn your child down for a pre-existing condition. This is a disease that can easily bankrupt a family without insurance. Trust me I know.

If you have a moment read my Daughter's story. Not a request for donations....there are so many great people providing help.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/176753
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    dryflie wrote: »
    And the government behind them. Interesting fact about Israel I learned recently. Tay-Sachs disease is a devastating fatal condition and for a long time affected the Jewish community more than any other community. Over the years Blood testing (which is quite expensive) was made available to every citizen in Israel free of charge. The result is that the incident of the disease has been significantly reduced (at least in Israel). In America today testing is not covered by insurance until a women is pregnant (too **** late unless you're willing to abort). Have a child with Tay-Sachs in America and in many states Medicaid is unavailable, and until Obamacare was passed the insurance company could turn your child down for a pre-existing condition. This is a disease that can easily bankrupt a family without insurance. Trust me I know.

If you have a moment read my Daughter's story. Not a request for donations....there are so many great people providing help.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/176753

Dryflie,

Thats got to be tough. My heart goes out to your family.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »
    Dryflie,

Thats got to be tough. My heart goes out to your family.

Mike

Mike, thank you very much for your kind thoughts. I've learned that there's an enormous amount of good will in this country and around the world. Can't say enough about the Hospitals and caregivers and all the volunteers who help out in the world of the disabled. The resilience of people who care for disabled children and adults is really incredible.....we all quickly learn that this is now normal life.....hospital visits, doctors visits....finding beds, chairs, strollers, car seats, etc etc for a disabled child is an endless challenge. Given that the affected population of disabled children is thankfully small I do not find fault with the efforts to provide equipment and services for them.....my granddaughter's condition has such a tiny annual occurrence (generally 1 birth in 300,000-400,000) about 10-12 births in America per year that even finding Doctors who could identify it was tough.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.