In San Antonio right now.

How is it possible that this is the second most populous state? You can't even walk outside. the Humidity is brutal.

Replies

• JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    duh? What do you think everyone is doing inside when it's too hot outside????
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Eat at Mi Tierra restaurant. Best Mexican in the world.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Its a nice place. Got all these great patios. its just too **** hot to sit on them. I couldn't even enjoy a cocktail. Now if this was New Orleans, I would have gotten a daquiri, but they seem scarce around here.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,883 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    ...I would have gotten a daquiri, but they seem scarce around here.
    Daquiris are for visitors. Order a cold Shiner Bock and enjoy.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    I would have gotten a daquiri with a pink umbrella in it

Fixed

this place used to be incredible and maybe it still is ... please report back to us

http://www.figtreerestaurant.com/
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Skip the TexMex.
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    Skip the TexMex.
    Yeah. He could find a little hole-in-wall place for good Mexican food. He'd need to ask a local.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    I never voluntarily eat Mexican food.
    I never voluntarily eat Mexican food.

Idaho must be a good fit.
    LOL! Taters and white bread.
    Don't kid yourself. We have a thriving Hispanic population. I just don't really like Mexican food. Unless its covered with Sour Cream. But then its not really authentic Mexican food anyway, is it?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,978 Senior Member
    I don't know I know some people that like lots of sour cream. Me I like a dollop.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I likes me some menudo.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    It has been a long time since I have driven through Texas. Does the local populace still think doctored photos of giant jackrabbits is the utmost pinnacle of humor ever achieved by humanity?

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,547 Senior Member
    The food I had in good restaurants and in holes-in-the wall in the Yucatan a few years ago had little in common with what is called "Mexican food" in local Mexican restaurants, even those owned and operated by actual Mexicans. It also was a lot better.

OTOH - I like basic American tacos and Chipotle Grill pulled pork burritos.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    I understand that the food in Italy is very different than the food I grew up with. I wonder if it has something to do with availability of certain ingredients. Also I don't think most Mexican-Americans come from that region of Mexico.

The best Mexican food I ever had was in New Mexico.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Italian-American food basically is Southern Italian, often dominated by heavy red sauces. The range of food in Italy is as great, perhaps greater, than regional variations in the United States. I only have been in Rome and south (but not deep south) and the food is very different from what we have here.

Our best local Italian restaurant is owned by a first generation American whose father, a Sicilian, used to run the best local pizzeria. The food is very good, but looks a lot like stereotype Italian-American. It just tastes better because he uses good ingredients. Real black olives, not lye-blackened junk out of a can, and crushed tomatoes on the pizza rather than canned pizza sauce for example.

In big cities you usually can find greater variety, but I live in a rural to semi-rural area.
    I love real black olives, but not on pizza.

I watch the food network a lot and I have noticed nobody makes meatballs like my mother and she uses bell peppers in her sauce. These are recipes that were handed down by her mother and I assume her mother who was born in Naples. However I assume there had to be some changes due to the availability of ingredients. I am sure that in Naples they would not cook with as much red meat as we do.
    Probably not as much red meat, and definitely less expensive cuts. We had the best pizza ever in Naples, and good pasta and fish dishes.

I've only been in Lazio, Abruzzo, Campania and Molise http://www.big-italy-map.co.uk/

Meat was expensive and used sparingly. Even in upscale restaurants you would not see American-style strip steaks, lamb chops or leg of lamb. But the food was - as the say in NYC - "to die for". Cheeses and cured meats were light years ahead of what we see here. The variety and quality of fish and seafood was better, IMO, but then again I love things like white bait (whole fried shiners or anchovies), fresh sardines, squid and octopus.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Are you house sitting for Tomark?
    no!

wait. yes.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    You know what's fun? Wearing Tomarks underwear on your head looking out the leg holes like some kind of right wing anti global warming villain.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Heh - he would look a tiny little bit like Santo, except with a brown stripe down the middle of his forehead.

bd
  • a6f9c43b-dc7d-41d0.jpg

my outlook is improving.
    a6f9c43b-dc7d-41d0.jpg

my outlook is improving.
    I see you've had a few already.

How's the weather? I went for an hour long bike ride after it got up to a respectable 95 degrees.

• pretty warm. humid.
    The natives complain about it too. The price for living in a subtropical climate.

Second most populace state? Really that must be based on population and not density. Because there is a whole lotta nothing between El Paso and Dallas.
    Here is a primer on Santa Fe eateries:

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/santa-fe-chili-eateries

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.