Now we have a world police force

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,920 Senior Member
I guess our government thinks that since we own the world, we need a police force to keep the world in line.

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/marine-corps-create-law-enforcement-battalions-1.1053673

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htcbtsp/articles/20120730.aspx

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    First thing we do is make the Greeks pay their taxes.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,314 Senior Member
    merica1.jpg
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    1,500 police to "keep the world in line"? C'mon Ed. What's significant is that the DOD suddenly realized that combat troops don't make good community police. Like when they don't know the customs, culture, or even know the language. But blame a certain Secretary of Defense and VP for that.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,920 Senior Member
    We've been policing the world for years with our over 700 military bases in over 160 countries, now we're openly forming police units to do that, 1500 is just the beginning. What right under the Constitution or International law do we have to police the world?
    EdB wrote: »
    What right under the Constitution or International law do we have to police the world?

We should penalize the world, then call it a tax.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,522 Senior Member
    Ed, did you read what the Marine Police Battalions are going to be used for? Or did you assign some nefarious purpose?
    Steven wrote: »
    We should penalize the world, then call it a tax.
    Only if they're not eating their broccoli.
  • TimDTimD Senior Member Posts: 906 Senior Member
    First thing we do is make the Greeks pay their taxes.

Maybe you should worry about Americans paying enough taxes first?
    Ed, did you read what the Marine Police Battalions are going to be used for? Or did you assign some nefarious purpose?

I read what the government says and I say that's a lie. Do you actually believe what the government says? Here's how our police action in Iraq turned out.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/07/more-than-200-million-wasted-on-iraq-police-training-audit-says.html
    Ever thought that that may be the reason why they're doing this?
    Ever thought that that may be the reason why they're doing this?

The government is wrong and has no right to be wasting millions of lives and dollars by invading, occupying, and policing other countries.
    TimD wrote: »
    Maybe you should worry about Americans paying enough taxes first?

With a 0.1% increase in monthly GDP, and Chinese demand for raw materials going down the tubes, you got your own problems to worry about.
    EdB wrote: »
    The government is wrong and has no right to be wasting millions of lives and dollars by invading, occupying, and policing other countries.
    I'd try and explain that we're not policing the countries, but rather training their police forces, but I'd imagine I'd be more productive trying to have this discussion with my filing cabinet.
    Which has been a total failure and waste. What's there to explain?
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    Ed is correct that this is a failure and a waste. Western white guys think they know everything. They think everyone else is like them. Culture and environment/conditions doomed it. However there is nothing more "nefarious" about any of this...other than some folks making some money around "the fringes" and we having to pay for it, but the program itself is not illegal is it?
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    I won't debate the current or past military actions. I don't know how to phrase my beliefs about what we did and still feel like I'm respecting and honoring the sacrifices of those who were sent there. So rather than risk offense to those who serve, I chose not to comment.

But I do see a value in training personnel to go in and train another country's police, to provide investigative capabilities for possible terrorist attacks against us and our allies, and to provide more professional interaction in what would be civil affairs by military members. Last time I checked, soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen weren't really trained in police work unless that was their area of specialization.
    Bream,

I hope you are not responding to me...if you are I think you have missed my points by 180 degrees.
    Wetdog,
    Nope. I am using your comments as a springboard. Hope you don't mind.
    Wetdog,
    Nope. I am using your comments as a springboard. Hope you don't mind.

Hey, don't get me in the middle of you two... haha

i was talking about the training program
    With a 0.1% increase in monthly GDP, and Chinese demand for raw materials going down the tubes, you got your own problems to worry about.

Absolutely - the second dip is on its way,

That is why we have closed all of our secret military bases around the world and hopefully the government will rethink their last tax cut. We are also looking at diversifying away from our largest trading partner.

Tim
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,314 Senior Member

You have been saying this for 3 years now.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

That is why we have closed all of our secret military bases around the world and hopefully the government will rethink their last tax cut. We are also looking at diversifying away from our largest trading partner.

Tim

I'll pour a Molson in the hopes your taxes are raised.
    I'll pour a Molson in the hopes your taxes are raised.

Thanks,

The only thing is that nobody really drinks that stuff - I think we sold the company off to foreigners.

Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.