Trans-fats, soda-size, and now baby formula?

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 4,485 Senior Member
Well, this is kind of an odd thing for a city to act on? Can they even restrict a mother's use of baby formula? What if they put a tax on it, with a tax break for those who nurse naturally?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/329648

Replies

• Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Just when the thought that Bloomberg is completely, totally off his rocker begins to show signs of fading....he pulls another one out of his....you know....
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,033 Senior Member
    This is an issue I really could give a **** about.

Many hospitals are already following this policy. Are they imposing a nanny state? They can still buy all the formula they want when they leave the hospital and they can still use it in the hospital, they just have to sign it out.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,485 Senior Member
    I don't mind if it's hospital policy, but is this really something we need government to get involved in?
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Just when the thought that Bloomberg is completely, totally off his rocker begins to show signs of fading....he pulls another one out of his....you know....

I was driving across E Montana yesterday and the only thing to listen to was Lumpbutt. He was all in a froath about this

Breast milk is healthier for babies than formula.

I suspect those complaint about this were not breast fed.
    No doubt it's healthier, better, and has much better benefits. But why should government be spending its time worrying about this?

Put it another way: when most folks see government as one big unit. When folks in one part of government spend their time doing something that seems to be an overextension of powers, ALL government agencies get painted the same way. This can severely limit the effectiveness of other government agencies, even other states, because folks say, "See, I told you so! Look at this!"

Personally, however, I don't think this should fall under government purview, much like some of the other food-oriented nutritional issues that have been taken up.
    I don't mind if it's hospital policy, but is this really something we need government to get involved in?

I think according to the article hospitals volunteer to join the program. I could be reading it wrong. He couldn't get this passed as a law without the city council.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    greenman wrote: »
    I was driving across E Montana yesterday and the only thing to listen to was Lumpbutt. He was all in a froath about this

Breast milk is healthier for babies than formula.

I suspect those complaint about this were not breast fed.

He is just mad because the only thing his breasts are good for is sweating up his shirt.
    I think according to the article hospitals volunteer to join the program. I could be reading it wrong. He couldn't get this passed as a law without the city council.
    Yes it's voluntary, but you're missing my point. Why does government need to get involved in this issue?
    If it is voluntary, how is the government involved? The mayor expressed a desire, he did not issue an edict. Most of those hospitals were already doing this. He would have better served his cause by shutting up however.
    It's involved by him speaking out and requesting it. He is a part of the government, after all. The executive. And it's more than him just speaking out, I'd wager. You have to get someone to write it up, distribute it to all those involved, and other such actions. And if he wants to include research, you have to figure in that time, too.

My problem is that stuff like this can discredit the overall initiatives that government is trying to accomplish by reflecting poorly on the system.
    This is what you get when you have a mayor who thinks of himself as responsible for other people's health and he can never run again for office. He has burned so many bridges with both parties that higher office is out of the question.

First they came for the cigarettes and I was silent because I was not a smoker, then they came for the soft drinks and I was silent because I had a small bladder, then they came for the formula and I was silent because I like breasts.......
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    No doubt it's healthier, better, and has much better benefits.

Chief among these is that it comes in great containers.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2
    Agreed. By the way, was it him or Giuliani who started expanding NYPD's investigations to outside of not just the city, but the state?
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Agreed. By the way, was it him or Giuliani who started expanding NYPD's investigations to outside of not just the city, but the state?

and New Jersey. I forget which one too. As far as the formula thing goes, he should just say what he feels, state it as that, and then keep his mouth shut.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson

I was totally unaware of this.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member

We could be talking about titties and you ask this question???

He also had investigators making "straw purchases" of firearms out of state, then bringing civil charges against them if they didn't allow NYC monitoring. Yes, straw purchases are illegal and should be. However, that seems to be something the BATFE or Virginia's state government should be handling and monitoring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayoralty_of_Michael_Bloomberg#Gun_control
    Brian D. wrote: »
    We could be talking about titties and you ask this question???

Well, we know Giuliani got rid of the brothels, hookers, and strip clubs.
    Well not all of them.

BTW he has every right to try and stop firearms from illegally entering his city and if the State of Virginia is too GD afraid of the NRA to enforce their own laws well then someone has to do it for them.
    As I said, what of BATFE? They're the ones who regulate that sort of thing. If you're upholding the rule of law, why not let the regulators who are supposed to be upholding those rules, er..., uphold them. Crossing state lines makes it a federal issue, not a munincipal.
    Because the NRA has done everything they can to defund the ATF. Perhaps you have heard of Fast & Furious?
    This was well before Fast and Furious. As to the defunding, BATFE's budget has gone from $771 million in 2001 to $1.158 billion in 2010, during which the VA straw buyer purchase occurred. The 2010 budget is a little over 50% more than the 2001. How's that a defunding?

Here's a link to the info on the budget. It's the second paragraph of the summary.
    http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41206.pdf

BTW, what about Yatahey's article on investigating Muslims in New Jersey?
    You noticed you needed a period of 9 years to come up with that and how much of that was do to 9/11?

If they got warrants, I have no issue. The difference between Jersey and NYC is like a bridge.

Read up on Fast and Furious and notice how impotent the Feds were.
    Uh, 2001 was the year of 9/11, so all the budget increases are post 9/11.

By the way, this document shows an increase in budget of 3.8% from 2005 to 2006, wiht an increase in full time personnel from 4885 to 5040. And it shows a steady state increase from 2004 to 2007, with the budget increasing since 2008 (2007-2008 represented a plateau in budgetary allocations.)

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/download/0311-historical-profile.pdf
    Yes but how much of that increase was homeland security related?
    Yes but how much of that increase was homeland security related?
    Gotcha. Well, looking at the 2010 budget, 71.6% of their budget was allocated for firearms, and firearms made up the lion's share of the increase in funding (97.4% of the budgetary increase.)
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Yes it's voluntary, but you're missing my point. Why does government need to get involved in this issue?

If we can agree that breast milk is better for a baby and a post-partum mom then isn't this better in a monetary sense? If some of the babies and mothers are on assistance then isn't it better in a money saving measure? If a mom on welfare can breast feed then the state or city is not having to pay for formula the breast fed baby will be healthier and on average save more money.

I thought the idea behind health care is to save money? If someone in the hospital is having to mix formula then the tax payers get charged for it. We've heard plenty of complaints about the $10.00 aspirin.

Early breastmilk has a subsantc called colostum (sp?) which formula doesn't have. Colostum is very beneficial for babies.
    I get all the benefits. My wife'll be having a baby in December. We're kinda in the process of reading up on this. If someone's on assistance then the use of formula can be disallowed unless the mother is willing to pay out of her own pocket, or there is a medical need. Much like other insurance is handled. As for cost to moms who can afford it, if she wants to cut costs, then let her do it on her own. Besides, how much of that formula is trial packs that they give out to get customers? Heck, we're offered that stuff at every doctor's visit.
    I get all the benefits. My wife'll be having a baby in December.

Congrats.

Pregnant in the summer. Good for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.