New Olympic Sports

ouzelproouzelpro Senior MemberPosts: 5,361 Senior Member
We have "sports" that I never see practiced in the real world, such as ribbon dancing and synchronized swimming. How the heck did they become part of the Olympics? I propose that the Olympic committee should continue with such silliness. Here are my suggestions (at least these are readily found almost everywhere)

-women's Pole Dancing

-Horse Shoes

-Petanque, or Bocce Balls (no one under 60 allowed to compete)

-Roller Derby

-Breakdancing

Replies

• ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    "Jee Yawn Yeow was disqualified form women's pole dancing when judges determined that her g-string was doctored to stick to the pole."

Of course, some Russian contestants will be disqualified due to having some men's DNA. I miss the East Germans.
    Women's Beach Soccer.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    I hear that sheep shearing will be a demonstration sport at the next summer games. And after that a medal sport.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,311 Senior Member
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    "Jee Yawn Yeow was disqualified form women's pole dancing when judges determined that her g-string was doctored to stick to the pole."

Of course, some Russian contestants will be disqualified due to having some men's DNA. I miss the East Germans.

This reminds me too much of a Polish joke.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Olympic beer pong is way overdue.
    The elitist version is played on Dressage horses.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,576 Senior Member
    We have "sports" that I never see practiced in the real world, such as ribbon dancing and synchronized swimming. How the heck did they become part of the Olympics? I propose that the Olympic committee should continue with such silliness. Here are my suggestions (at least these are readily found almost everywhere)

-women's Pole Dancing

-Horse Shoes

-Petanque, or Bocce Balls (no one under 60 allowed to compete)

-Roller Derby

-Breakdancing

Combine all of the above to form the a new pentathlon event.
    I like the idea of Bocce Ball; gives the old people something to strive towards! ;)
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Men's synchronized diving:
    Unless it involves the military, men shouldn't do anything synchronized.

Soccer:
    Enough is enough already. If refs aren't going to hand out yellow cards for obvious flopping, awards for soccer would best be handed out at the day time Emmys.
    Aww, Jeez. I agree with Steven; particularly about Euro Trash soccer flopping. I wonder if Pio is good at that?
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    The second half of Honduras/Spain was an absolute travesty. The Spanish completely lost their composure as the Hondurans play acted the worst injuries this side of an actual war.

One Spaniard looked like he threw a punch at the Honduran goalie who was both holding the ball and his head while writhing around like a possessed southern tent preacher. Replays showed clearly that the goalie wasn't even touched. Meanwhile, as part and parcel of TV's need to get Americans to watch soccer, the commentators say nothing about the acting job.

Another Honduran, also untouched, had to be carted off on a stretcher. Think about what happens in a serious injury in an NFL game...now imagine if six overweight women popped out with a red plastic stretcher that looks like a sled, picked up a player, then dumped him on the sled, then ran off the field with him.

At the same time, Argentina and Lithuania are beating the **** out of each in basketball, but somehow, no injuries.
    I've caught a bit of competition on NBC streaming: women's beach volleyball (no reason need be given), men's C-1, K-1 whitewater kayaking, and the best yet, Men's saber. Women's badminton was unbelievably boring for the 32 seconds I watched. Looking forward to replay of equestrian cross country later.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    Women's badminton was unbelievably boring for the 32 seconds I watched.
    I watched two matches of men's badminton with the U.S. team. While it will never be in my list of sports to watch, it isn't bad. The shuttlecock can move as fast as 200mph, but even at the lower speeds typical of play and the small court, it is fast moving game.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    Its fun to play (I played at college), but dull to watch.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.