Recommendations for prescription polarized sunglasses for fishing?

DWTDWT Senior MemberPosts: 270 Senior Member
Time to break down and get some. My regular glasses are bifocals so I suspect I will need the same with my fishing glasses. Any suggestions on brands. Action optics is the only name I know. Thanks.

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I just need glasses for reading so I get by with the sunglasses with the magnifiers on the bottom. A friend needs perscription glasses and he bought regular glasses that accept a cip-on polarized sunglass and he really swears by them.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • steve ssteve s Junior Member Posts: 9 Junior Member
    I really like the "clip-ons" that slide between your glasses and your face. I love how they wrap around and screen the light coming in from the side. They are cheap, reasonably good optical quality, and polarized models come in brown or gray. Because of how they are bent, the viewing surface doesn't contact or get scratched when they are slid across a surface. Stress-whitening does happen, however, if they are flexed too much. My regular glasses are photochromics, so I appreciate the double darkening I get when these are placed behind, rather than blocking the light from getting to the photochromes. I tried prescription polarized photochromes, but cost was prohibitive when my prescription kept changing. Also, it's nice not to have to carry another pair of glasses for when it starts to get dark. HOWEVER, you're not going to get many style points.

Here's the best sideview photo I could find--maybe you can tell what I'm talking about.

2008PescaMaya084-cropped.jpg

Steve
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    I've tried the Action Optics glasses without the script and they are the best, clearest glasses I've ever looked through. The price is steep but worth it if you've got the bucks.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • JimSJimS Junior Member Posts: 9 Junior Member
    I looked into prescriptions, and ended up getting contacts. So I'm really of no help to you! For the price, Coccoons aren't all that bad if you don't mind fit-overs.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,799 Senior Member
    DWT wrote: »
    Time to break down and get some. My regular glasses are bifocals so I suspect I will need the same with my fishing glasses. Any suggestions on brands. Action optics is the only name I know. Thanks.

Action Optics and Orvis both are very good.

Your optometrist can get good Polarized lenses tinted to your specs. I bought some with a pale yellow tint that are not heavily Polarized but are great for fishing under tree canopies and at twilight.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Love Action Optics and use the stick on bifocals avail from Walmart or Walgreens. I've three pair, a very light yellow pair of Hobies, (early mornings and overcast) and two pair of the Action Optics, one in brown for the flats and shallows and the other a dark greenish grey for areas where foliage dominates or for the brightest sun..
  • gatsbygatsby Member Posts: 30 Member
    Prescription sunglasses are very expensive. My optometrist can do Kaenon or Ray Ban or a couple of other high quality sunglasses. You can add features such as the magnifiers although that is not a good expense. I use the magnifiers that clip onto the glasses, and I can flip up or down. But other options exist. I kind of like the idea of magnifiers that you can stick on the bottom of the glasses and think I will try that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.