Snook and Bonefish

flyfishingoutthereflyfishingoutthere Junior MemberPosts: 10 Junior Member
I'm doing research on what type of flies to use for bonefish and snook. What flies to should I use during the summer and spring months? Also, what type of line is best to use? Floating, sinking, or sink tip?

Replies

• Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    I don't have enough expertise on bonefish to help you much there. But for snook, I have had a lot of luck with big white clouser minnows.

Before I started fly fishing, I used to catch snook around Ft. Meyers by bottom bouncing white bucktails along the beach around passes - whereever there was some current, really. I caught a lot of ladyfish the same way.

A big white clouser is functionally the same as a white bucktail jig that you'd fish on a spinning rod, so you can use it the same way.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2
  • flyfishingoutthereflyfishingoutthere Junior Member Posts: 10 Junior Member
    Thanks, Brian D! This information is very helpful. :)
  • JimSJimS Junior Member Posts: 9 Junior Member
    (Can't help with Bonefish. I'm by no means an expert, but I do fish for SW Florida Snook frequently)

There are a bazillion patterns that will work. Baitfish flies are a good choice. Clousers and Deceivers work very well.

I tie a white gurgler on a #2 34007 hook (bucktail, pearl estaz, white foam) that is a ball to fish.

Off the beach in the summer time, EP mullets sized to match the hatch and Norm's Crystal Schminnows (super easy to tie) work well.

I use floating lines 95% of the time. Sink tips when the surf is up off the beach. White is usually right in the summertime. Chat/white, olive/white/ chart/yellow, etc., etc. works as well year round...

(Please don't hold them "like a bass". This can/will kill them!)

Good luck!
  • flyfishingoutthereflyfishingoutthere Junior Member Posts: 10 Junior Member
    JimS wrote: »
    (Can't help with Bonefish. I'm by no means an expert, but I do fish for SW Florida Snook frequently)

There are a bazillion patterns that will work. Baitfish flies are a good choice. Clousers and Deceivers work very well.

I tie a white gurgler on a #2 34007 hook (bucktail, pearl estaz, white foam) that is a ball to fish.

Off the beach in the summer time, EP mullets sized to match the hatch and Norm's Crystal Schminnows (super easy to tie) work well.

I use floating lines 95% of the time. Sink tips when the surf is up off the beach. White is usually right in the summertime. Chat/white, olive/white/ chart/yellow, etc., etc. works as well year round...

(Please don't hold them "like a bass". This can/will kill them!)

Good luck!

Okay, thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.