So What's in Your Vest, Fanny Pack, or Other?

Brian D.Brian D. Senior MemberPosts: 4,011 Senior Member
The debate over whether vests suck or are the best option got me thinking.

I bet the issue of whether you like vests is directly related to how much you like to carry. So I started doing a mental inventory of what's in my vest (my wife is driving, the kids are asleep, and I'm a little short on entertainment). I like my vest because it holds just about everything I need for 85 percent of the fishing I do. I don't have to think about what I need or worry about forgetting something - I can just grab it and go.

So let's see - off the top of my head:

Three fly boxes, including my main trout flybox; a secondary flybox with stuff I "might" occasionally need like some dries, hoppers, san juan worms, and bluegill flies; and a warmwater box of smallmouth and carp flies.

Stream spinfishing box with bream hooks and splitshot for fishing with the kids, a few soft plastics like sliders and tube jugs, a few in-line spinners, and a couple small crankbaits.

Set of tippet spools from 15 lb. down to 7x.

Assorted packs of tapered leaders.

Hemostats and nippers.

Packs of strike indicators and indicator yarn.

Pack of assorted sizes of nymphing split shot.

Dry fly floatant powder, ****, fly line floatant, and anti-fog/cleaner for my sunglasses.

Tape measure (yeah, I know - but I fish a catch-measure-release tournament in July).

Cigarette lighter to make it easy if I need to start a fire.

One empty pouch with a zip-lock bag for phone and wallet.

Landing net on the back on a magnetic-release latch.

Hmm... I think I'm probably forgetting a couple things but that most of it.

So is that a lot of stuff to carry?

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Very similar, but also bug spray, sunscreen and rain coat. Instead of a lighter, I carry waterproof matches and those firestarting cubes. Much of the time I'll have a day pack with food and water.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Doesn't sound like too much.

In my fanny pack's main compartment, I usually carry about 6 fly boxes. 3 large 15 compartment mylar boxes and another 3 small 9 compartment numbers.

In the front pouch, I have hemo's, scissors, a small tape measure, about 3 different kinds of indicators, 0X-6X leader/tippet spools, split shot, mucilin, dry magic, dry shake, one of those tippet garbage twist thingies. In the back pocket, I have my license, some pre-made leaders, a small bug ID book..

In the knife pocket on one side, I keep my magnifiers. There's also a bottle holder on the other side for G-2.

A bag of beef jerky and a couple of granola bars usually covers for lunch and gets dumped in the main compartment.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Wow, your fanny pack holds so much, I bet you can almost leave your purse at home.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Those tights...under your waders?
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    A fanny pack sounds good, but I think it would make my butt look big..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • rvrwaderrvrwader Member Posts: 42 Member
    Sounds a lot like everything I carry. I do have a few more things

Leatherman Multi-Purpose Tool
    There always seems to be an old granola bar in there
    Sun Screen
    Insect Repelant
    Deer Fly Patches
    Hook Sharpener
    Thermometer

It's no wonder I have a bad back
    Well, I aint always right but I've never been wrong.....

http://rvrwader.blogspot.com
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,971 Senior Member
    For trout - Two fly boxes, stream thermometer, tippet spools 2x-8x, spare leaders, floatant, sink stuff, tippet gauge, nippers, hook sharpener/disgorger, drying powder, mini lead head sink tips in two lengths, lunch or snack, water bottle.

For bass, shad and steelhead it's one fly box, tippet spools, nippers, sharpener/disgorger, sink stuff and a couple of spare leaders. Lunch, snacks, water etc. goes in shirt or wading jacket pockets.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • JimSJimS Junior Member Posts: 9 Junior Member
    A JW Outfitters bonefish pack with a box of flies, hemostats, hook sharpener and tippet. KISS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.