Home The Lodge

Irrational Obama

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,994 Senior Member
As the editorial says, the Obama administration is as bloody as the last one.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201204270423.html

US president Barack Obama has informed the Iranians they have one "last chance" to avoid attack. They must suspend higher uranium enrichment, close down the Fordow enrichment facility, and "surrender" their stockpile of uranium enriched to 20 per cent purity. Iranian officials respond matter-of-factly that such demands are "irrational

Seasoned US analysts seem to agree with the Iranian assessment. Stephen M Walt writes in Foreign Policy, "For the life of me, I can't figure out what the Obama administration is thinking about Iran . . . I'm puzzled." Gary Sick, writing for CNN, predicts dire consequences of an attack on Iran and seems to question its wisdom. So why is Obama being so confrontational? So irrational?

Obama tries to position himself in the middle, chiding Republican opponents for "loose talk" about war while assuring Israeli prime minister Netanyahu that the US will move in "lock step" with Israel. But what is the logic of offering Iran a "last chance" to stop doing what it is legally entitled to do? The only logic I can see here -- and it is a perverse form -- resides in the assumption that as the bombs start to fall Washington will be able to say, "We were patient, we went that last mile, and gave them their opportunity, but they defied the international community and so we (or Israel) had to attack." It is 2003 all over again.

Recall that Obama was elected in large part due to his opposition to the war in Iraq. In a 2002 speech he declared that he opposed "the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other arm-chair, weekend warriors in this Administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne."

But he never really denounced the campaign of lies, or expressed moral indignation at the hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths, the uprooting of millions, the spread of ethnic and sectarian conflicts following the US attack rather, he saw the war as a "strategic blunder." Still, he was widely regarded as the "anti-war" candidate.

Once elected, however, he proved to be a virtual Bush clone in foreign affairs. He chose hawkish Hilary Clinton (who had strongly supported the attack on Iraq and defended her position until late in her campaign) as Secretary of State, to the applause of the neocons who correctly anticipated that she would provide continuity with their own regime-change policies. He ordered US troops out of Iraq, but he can't take credit for the withdrawal. It occurred in accordance with the agreement between the Bush administration and the Iraqi government worked out in 2008.

Replies

• TimDTimD Senior Member Posts: 906 Senior Member
    Ed,

If Obama has fallen in the polls, and using Iran for politcal gaine then it would only be irrational in the sense that he is doing what the political system expects of him.

Tim
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,994 Senior Member
    I agree, the political system is irrational and Obama is just a pawn.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    It's a representative democracy. Gotta give 'em what they want.

bd
    Brian D. wrote: »
    It's a representative democracy. Gotta give 'em what they want.

bd

Who is represented in this democracy?
    EdB wrote: »
    I agree, the political system is irrational and Obama is just a pawn.

Ed,

He is both a pawn and a puppetmaster. Presidents acting tough can be very good for the ratings.

Tim
    Yes, I think he is not naive. He is intelligent and knows how to play the game for his own benefit and for those who control him.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,159 Senior Member
    Yes, I think he is not naive. He is intelligent and knows how to play the game for his own benefit and for those who control him.

Care to name them, or should we just round up the usual suspects?
    "...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
    I'm convinced that the financial and corporate elite control the political system including President Obama. Name any in the elite and there you have it.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,159 Senior Member
    I'm convinced that the financial and corporate elite control the political system including President Obama. Name any in the elite and there you have it.

C'mon, Ed, you can do better than that. How about The New World Order, The Bildenbergers, Skull and Bones, Bohemian Grove and the Girl Scouts with their mind-control-drug-laced cookies?
    "...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
    Denial is not a river in Egypt.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,101 Senior Member
    Denial is not a river in Egypt.

If theres one thing ed knows, its irrational

Do you double down the hard 12 ed?

Did anyone from the lodge actually invest in your blackjack system? I know you solicited investors....just wondering if anyone gave you money?
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,585 Senior Member

+1.

Agreed. It's all right here...

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/contrib.php?cid=N00009638

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/bundlers.php
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    Do you believe in the New World Order and the Agenda 21 conspiracy too?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    joekrz wrote: »

This is from your second link.

2012 Bundlers

Bundlers are people with friends in high places who, after bumping against personal contribution limits, turn to those friends, associates, and, well, anyone who's willing to give, and deliver the checks to the candidate in one big "bundle."

Even though these donors direct more money to the candidates than anyone else, disclosure can be spotty, candidates generally release bundlers by ranges of fundraising, indicated in this chart with the "max" and "min" columns, and with the top ranges being simply "$500,000 or more." NOTE: Federal Election Commission regulations only require disclosure of funds bundled by registered lobbyists. In 2008, both Barack Obama and John McCain agreed to disclose any bundlers who raised over $50,000 for their campaigns. Obama's re-election campaign is again disclosing those bundlers for the 2012 election. No 2012 Republican presidential candidates have agreed to voluntarily disclose their entire bundlers lists. As such, the only bundlers listed for Republican candidates are registered lobbyists.

See our Bundlers infographic

Select candidate: Barack Obama (D)Tim Pawlenty (R)Rick Perry (R)Mitt Romney (R)

Together, 532 elites are directing at least $106,300,000 for Obama's re-election efforts -- money that has gone into the coffers of his campaign as well as the Democratic National Committee..

Top Industries of Obama Bundlers

Industry

Min. Raised

# of Bundlers

Lawyers/Law Firms

$21,600,000

Securities & Investment

$14,800,000

Business Services

$10,750,000

Real Estate

$7,300,000

TV/Movies/Music

$6,950,000
    George K wrote: »
    C'mon, Ed, you can do better than that. How about The New World Order, The Bildenbergers, Skull and Bones, Bohemian Grove and the Girl Scouts with their mind-control-drug-laced cookies?

George,

There you go again, outing your drinking buddies - they is gonna get sore at you.

Tim
    Together, 532 elites are directing at least $106,300,000 for Obama's re-election efforts -- money that has gone into the coffers of his campaign as well as the Democratic National Committee..

Top Industries of Obama Bundlers

Industry

Min. Raised

# of Bundlers

Lawyers/Law Firms

$21,600,000

Well that's just effing great. Now I'm an "elite." You'd think I'd at least get a nicer car. Guess I'd better get on board with bombing Iran before it's too late.

bd
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,585 Senior Member
    You just nevermind and keep giving out free candy.
    Sure thing. Tell your mom I have a special lollipop for her.

bd
    Ed

can we bundle our investments for your blackjack system?
    Thank goodness for the ignore list, you're on mine.
    Thank goodness for the ignore list, you're on mine.

excellent

but you can't ignore the fact that you did in fact solicit investors for your 'system' from this site, can you?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement