Home The Lodge

Gmail

**** is the deal with the incessant demands to know what my 'cell phone' number is and to register it with them immediately?

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,715 Senior Member
    Gmail stands for Government mail. They want to keep tabs your type. :)
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    I don't think that is gmail doing the asking. I have never been asked that question.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,712 Senior Member
    I once had a gmail account. I only used it a few times....and for a reason.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    Wetdog wrote: »
    I once had a gmail account. I only used it a few times....and for a reason.

Sometimes I find it amazing you have a computer. :cool:
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Sometimes I find it amazing you have a computer. :cool:

That's pretty funny and I am amazed that I still do as well. I use yahoo btw.
    I use both. My Yahoo account is the one I use when I order stuff or join something, that way my gmail does not get spammed.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Chris that is precisely why I set up a gmail because yahoo was getting and still get spammed plus all the lurkers here who love to complain about bigoted libs while sending hate mail end up having their time well wasted

:D

the cell phone requst pops up from time to time when I have been logged out with a screen informing that new security measures are on the way for Gmail and I should register my cell phone in my profile

makes me wonder if google is selling contact info
    They all do that Kevin. Google is just catching up.

Other than the usual crap I get nothing out of the ordinary--well except for when driftless/nimrod got that virus.
    This is my email account here [email protected]
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,585 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    **** is the deal with the incessant demands to know what my 'cell phone' number is and to register it with them immediately?

https://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=114129
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    there are plenty of ways to verify an account without asking for a cell phone number
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,585 Senior Member
    Assuming you have an android phone they have a lot of info on you already. Check out Google dashboard if you haven't already.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement