Home The Lodge

My Little Town

WetdogWetdog Senior MemberPosts: 5,712 Senior Member
I live near a community (pop. just over 1,000) that has been divided between the well educated "cool" crowd that looked down on anyone not in their group or those who didn't share their beliefs. The other group is not cool, just ordinary people. To be fair some of the "cool crowd' aren't bad people and allow for the existence of the non cool. They are even tolerant of them.

I've known this cool crowd for well over thirty years through my friends that were "fringe cool." I remember years ago how they'd get together to listen to Prairie Home Companion and talk about it for a week while listening to phoney folksingers. Me, I went fishing or hunting instead. Most (but not all) practiced some form of vegetarianism (nothing wrong with that in itself). I remember eating at the diner in town and was listening to this very attractive "B" pontificating about how evil meat eaters are. I couldn't take it anymore. So I made sure I was heard ordering Ham with my eggs. The look of disgust almost made me laugh out loud. She went on about it even more. I then ate my ham while praising the glory of pig meat. I saw her torn between active hatred and tears. I just couldn't help myself.

Recently she stopped me in the street and said something like. I've seen you around here for thirty years and I don't know your name." I replied, "there is a reason for that." She looked confused. I just said "I am not a joiner and like to be as anonymous as I can be. I mentioned that we had crossed paths several times. "I was the Ham guy." She looked really confused then. But then a look of recognition crossed her face. "You...." "Yes that was me." her reply "I'm sorry, I was such an elitist **** back then." I just said, "That's OK, we all spend most of our lives being rather stupid." Who knows, maybe there is some hope. She still didn't get my name.

Now Diane's diner is closed and we have A Coffee Shop. It's where the cool go. They come and drink their quadruple latte/mocha whatever ( I don't drink coffee) and eat what could be good food if it wasn't all so damned sweet. Hash browns shouldn't have an ounce of honey (Not evil sugar) in them. I'll never eat there again. What they really come there for is to be seen. They leave their houses and come with their Apple laptops and ipads (they are an important part of the uniform) and look up esoteric things while going on about things like Thoreau (still) or the modern equivalents. I won't discuss my thoughts on Henry David. After being seen they go back home and plug their "machines" back in. Mission accomplished, they have been seen being cool. I'll go back with others if they want to eat that crap, I'll just have some tea. I admit that it is kinda fun watching "the fashion show."

Now you may not believe this, but I like this little town. It's progressive even though sometimes lamely progressive. Today here is a great mix of people of all types. I'll give the "cool crowd" some credit, they began The Midwest Renewable Energy Association and their annual fair that is attended by people from all across the country and the world. It's a very good thing. I stopped going because the coolest of the cool, are still too damned cool for me.

Over the years my tiny town has had a swingers club (1970's), Prostitution on pool tables in one of the bars after bar time. A Chicago and Milwaukee "resort" hidden in the woods where the rich dudes from those cities brought their **** or bought them there. This was about a mile and a half from me and nobody knew...until the stretch limos going down a dirt road raised some eyebrows. It had been operating for years and years. Typical small town. We have great fishing and no Republican has ever been sent to Madison nor Washington from my town or county. We will elect Republicans to local offices...we know them...or rather we used to know them, that's changing with the tea party types.

Not sure if I'll ever leave here, not sure if I want to.

001.jpg
I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    sounds to me like you are looking down your nose at them
  • P.DieterP.Dieter Super Moderator Posts: 968 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    her reply "I'm sorry, I was such an elitist **** back then." I just said, "That's OK, we all spend most of our lives being rather stupid." Who knows, maybe there is some hope. She still didn't get my name.

Michael, I'm surprised that you treat an apology with such a brush off. I'm pretty impressed with her owning up like that and by the way you write the story it seems you made it perfectly clear to her, knowing your name wouldn't make a rat's **** difference to the acquaintance she was attempting.

could just be I'm reading the story.
    I would find the claim that there were 'cools' in his town more believable if there were a Hamm's sign in that photo

Blatz just proves that the concept of 'cool' is relative and in this case relatively nonexistent
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,712 Senior Member
    At the cool elitists? Definitely. You see, I fit in.

I've never been fond of the "the cool" even when I was "cool." Didn't like them putting down those that they thought weren't as cool as them. Many of them have changed over these thirty years and as I said even then they weren't all bad. We called them the Funky and Organics or F&Os for short. The coolest F&Os have not changed. No Prius? Well then you are the problem. It's not their priorities beliefs or concerns, I share most things with them, but what we don't share is "you have to "be" me, or you have no value." The far right and far left can be too much the same.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    This all sounds like a game of stereotyping, comparing and judging. Is it necessary?
    P.Dieter wrote: »
    Michael, I'm surprised that you treat an apology with such a brush off. I'm pretty impressed with her owning up like that and by the way you write the story it seems you made it perfectly clear to her, knowing your name wouldn't make a rat's **** difference to the acquaintance she was attempting.

could just be I'm reading the story.

Paul, I didn't report the whole conversation. To he honest it wasn't that long as I had to find a bathroom quickly.

People have asked me that a number of times over the years. I usually tell them my name and what I do.
    creekguy wrote: »
    This all sounds like a game of stereotyping, comparing and judging. Is it necessary?

yes and no, I think you missed some of my point. Those are things I am pointing out, even some of that on my part back then.

I should also note that this town knows itself. The cool crowd conversation comes up now and again (and not from me) just because it had been so extreme for probably twenty years or more. We had this conversation with a bartender the other night. I guess you would have to have lived here to understand how extreme it was. Many of them wouldn't even say hello on the street if you weren't part of the group. They would pretend you hadn't said hello. We do that kind of stuff (saying hello) in the Midwest.

see post #14
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    I would find the claim that there were 'cools' in his town more believable if there were a Hamm's sign in that photo

Blatz just proves that the concept of 'cool' is relative and in this case relatively nonexistent

That's funny. I haven't been in that bar for well over twenty years, but they never served Blatz. That's an old bar.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,715 Senior Member
    I don't fit in with the cool crowd. I'm happy with the mediocre.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    I am currently calculating what the odds are, between a Swingers Club and prostitutes on the pool tables, that at some point you were within 75 feet of BrianD's mom
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,585 Senior Member
    Interesting thought process. I've been in the town I live in now for 20 years. I have no clue who the "cool" or "uncool" people are, nor do I care or pay attention. Probably harder to pick out in a town of 10,000+ I guess.

I lived "in town" the first 8 years I moved here, but quickly grew tired of it and moved out into the country where I am much happier.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    I live in a "town" of 36,000 and no one is cool here.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    I only lived in a town twice, each time for two years. That's all the "city living" I have done since 1974.

My town had a population of 800 until pretty recently. A lot of people don't really understand what I am talking about because they haven't lived in a town that small. Until the 70s and the university folks (profs and students) started moving out here, there were no real divisions other than this family hates that family. Then new lines began to be drawn. There was a lot of mistrust and even dislike for the newcomers and also for the townies. One side didn't like the change these people brought and the other didn't like it that the townies weren't more like them. The cool isolated themselves. They were their own separate entity. Years later as they aged they became much more community oriented and the two groups began to blend. It has been interesting in watching the place change over the years...but we have lost much of the local "color." Meaning "the characters." There used to be a lot of them in town.
    dryflie wrote: »
    I live in a "town" of 36,000 and no one is cool here.

I'm still trying to get my mind around the fact that the "cool" people listened to Lake Woebegone. We call these people Norwegians.
    Steven, you have to remember they "grew up" with PHC, it was soo cool, so different, so......

We call them swedes.
    bottomline they're all Scandahoosiers
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    bottomline they're all Scandahoosiers

Them is fighting words! We had to fight forever to throw off the yoke of the Swedes and the Danes.
    I was hoping for something more along the lines of Greasers and Socs.
    Steven wrote: »
    I was hoping for something more along the lines of Greasers and Socs.

Back in Madison during the thirties it was them Eyetalians. My dad told the stories of the Eyetalians and protestants lining up on different sides of the dance floor and soon as one crossed the floor to ask a girl/woman/ to dance from the other side a fight would break out. Let the good times roll!
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    Back in Madison during the thirties it was them Eyetalians. My dad told the stories of the Eyetalians and protestants lining up on different sides of the dance floor and soon as one crossed the floor to ask a girl/woman/ to dance from the other side a fight would break out. Let the good times roll!

Funny how that all went away in a generation. My Uncle went to the bank with my Grandmother to get a student loan. The manager refused because my Uncle was Italian. Years later he became that guy's boss.

None of my cousins experienced the same when they were growing up.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Yep it did change, When you had to count on Guglielmo in the Foxhole and Guglielmo had to count on Sean, people began to get over it.
    well take everyone but them Irish
    I only lived in a town twice, each time for two years. That's all the "city living" I have done since 1974.

My town had a population of 800 until pretty recently. A lot of people don't really understand what I am talking about because they haven't lived in a town that small. Until the 70s and the university folks (profs and students) started moving out here, there were no real divisions other than this family hates that family. Then new lines began to be drawn. There was a lot of mistrust and even dislike for the newcomers and also for the townies. One side didn't like the change these people brought and the other didn't like it that the townies weren't more like them. The cool isolated themselves. They were their own separate entity. Years later as they aged they became much more community oriented and the two groups began to blend. It has been interesting in watching the place change over the years...but we have lost much of the local "color." Meaning "the characters." There used to be a lot of them in town.

You're there right? I think you qualify as a colorful character. :p
    Yep it did change, When you had to count on Guglielmo in the Foxhole and Guglielmo had to count on Sean, people began to get over it.

My Uncle graduated HS in 1965.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    joekrz wrote: »
    You're there right? I think you qualify as a colorful character. :p

Maybe, I am usually wearing green, but a rather subdued green.

You used to be able tell what day of the year it was when this fairly crazy hitchhiker would come through. He was like clockwork, year after year. Most of the characters would gather at The Club Orlow. It still draws them I've been told. I need to stop in there some evening, it's been along time. I used to drink there with my alcoholic landlord (former Milwaukee school super) in the afternoons.
    Have you been down to the river? Hendricksons have been hatching up here.
    My Uncle graduated HS in 1965.

New York isn't in the Midwest.
    joekrz wrote: »
    Have you been down to the river? Hendricksons have been hatching up here.

Wish I would have the time. I am only here today because the back is acting up.
    New York isn't in the Midwest.

You apparently have never been to East Rochester. :D The accent is even similar.
    Wish I would have the time. I am only here today because the back is acting up.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can make it out soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement