Home The Lodge

Congress ='s Obama

So I was reading the story this morning with regards to Bernanke's comments on the budget and spending debate etc etc etc

as usual I start browsing the comments section

the usual Obama blah blah blah birth certificate blah blah, Demon-crats are destroying the country blah blah blah but the overwhelming and consistent theme of the comments demonstrated one thing ... people in this country (if the comments are a cross section) don't have a clue as to how our government is structured

the problem in this country isn't 'Rethuglicans' it isn't 'Demon-crats' ... it's the citizenry themselves ... the reality is the overwhelming MAJORITY of voting age Americans in all probability couldn't pass a basic class in civics and government

Seriously? the dilemas this country finds itself in isn't all the R's fault, it isn't all the D's fault it isn't Godless Liberals it isn't the Chirstian Taliban

the real blame lies squarely in the lap of all of us ... we voted them into office

Rest assured we will do the American thing for the next 6 months and blame everyone other than the ourselves

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,710 Senior Member
    The "real blame" isn't voting them into office the first time, it's voting them into office again and again after they've shown who they are.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,805 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    The "real blame" isn't voting them into office the first time, it's voting them into office again and again after they've shown who they are.

What more can one add?
    What more can one add?

One could add this...."People seem to like voting against their own interests."
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    we have seen the enemy and they are us
  • P.DieterP.Dieter Super Moderator Posts: 968 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    (if the comments are a cross section)

I don't believe this to be the case. As soon as you take from the demographic that....comments to online media, calls in talk shows, responds to internet polls; you are working with a subset of society.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,805 Senior Member
    Does that include those who post in internet forums?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,543 Senior Member

What's the alternative, when for the most part they are all cut from the same cloth?

I voted for Obama, but only because he was the lesser of 2 evils. Not because I thought he was a politician that is different than most of the rest of them. Hell...he comes to us direct from the well known and corrupt Chicago Democratic machine.

The pendulum has continually swung back and forth in this country on all levels of politics and the average citizen isn't any better for it.
    joekrz wrote: »
    Hell...he comes to us direct from the well known and corrupt Chicago Democratic machine.

so Chicago ran the whole national election and was cheating at every polling place in 'Murrica

got it
    joekrz wrote: »
    What's the alternative, when for the most part they are all cut from the same cloth?

I voted for Obama, but only because he was the lesser of 2 evils. Not because I thought he was a politician that is different than most of the rest of them. Hell...he comes to us direct from the well known and corrupt Chicago Democratic machine.

The pendulum has continually swung back and forth in this country on all levels of politics and the average citizen isn't any better for it.

Their are always alternative choices. I've been voting for the lesser of two evil my entire life, rarely have I had a rep that I actually supported. Fred Risser in Madison years and years ago, Dave Obey ever since I lived up here. Feingold had promise and he was no yes man for the party.

When I see farmers continually voting for guys that are screwing them over just because they have an "R" behind their name and they vow never to vote for a democrat. That's the best example I can come up with, but there are many others.

Now Obama, direct from the corrupt Chicago Democratic machine? So if you are a Democrat and represent an area of Chicago for two terms in Springfield you have to be dirty? Let's see your work. I want you to show me the stain of corruption. Now if he had been a Chicago alderman (or whatever they call them down there) for twenty years, then you'd have a point.
    Does that include those who post in internet forums?

only if they are from the south

(oh and Wisconsin now the South of the North)
    So if you are a Democrat and represent an area of Chicago for two terms in Springfield you have to be dirty? Let's see your work.

no work neccessary

only democrats cheat in elections ... everyone knows that

it's a basic part of unbiased criticism of politics in America

Fox and Rush say so
    And if I as a republican can reduce the vote by 1/3 there will be no cheating in elections because we will have removed all those left leaning elderly and kids. That's how we protect America from itself. Thank me later.
    eliminating the voice of anyone who disagrees with the GOP is how we preserve Freedom and Liberty
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,543 Senior Member
    Their are always alternative choices. I've been voting for the lesser of two evil my entire life, rarely have I had a rep that I actually supported. Fred Risser in Madison years and years ago, Dave Obey ever since I lived up here. Feingold had promise and he was no yes man for the party.

When I see farmers continually voting for guys that are screwing them over just because they have an "R" behind their name and they vow never to vote for a democrat. That's the best example I can come up with, but there are many others.

Now Obama, direct from the corrupt Chicago Democratic machine? So if you are a Democrat and represent an area of Chicago for two terms in Springfield you have to be dirty? Let's see your work. I want you to show me the stain of corruption. Now if he had been a Chicago alderman (or whatever they call them down there) for twenty years, then you'd have a point.

Sure there are alternatives, but IMO that doesn't necessarily mean the alternatives are any better. I'll give you Feingold. He seems to be the exception.

For the most part though, all of those politicians "serving" the country are out of touch with what is happening with the common folk. The reason is that almost all of them came from money and have more then they know what to do with. They have a job that gives them more time off then any other jobs in the country, better health benifits then almost all of us and a better retierment plan. I don't honestly think they care about anyone except themselves.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    I would like to point out that The President was abandoned by his father and raised by a Grandmother and was anything but rich. Santorum worked his way up in life as the child of immigrants. Bill Clinton grew up in a trailer park. John Boehner was raised by a father that owned a neighborhood bar.

These people have real opinions that effect the policies they try to advance. I honestly believe that all of them went into public service to make a better world. The problem is that anymore they have become like the people on the internet that believe that their opinions and their policies are the only ones that matter.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    you forgot that Mitt Romney heard how his dad had struggled before he came along ... so he knows first hand too

BTW

Chris ... I agree with you on the individual side ... when in my TU stint as much as it literally took up 800+ hours of my time a year the benefit was to be involved in local, state and even with lobby trips to DC the federal level ... what you found out in this process is that individually there are a number of politicians who are in fact it for public service and actually quite thoughtful ... the trouble arises when the party politic takes over the individual and in some cases (depending upon the importance of a district) literally trumps what the individual politician or even their constituency may want.

I watched this transpire with my own Congressman who was literally run into the ground by his own party for not toeing the mark on votes. He finally said enough and now we have some **** who claims to be just like him while voting with Bachmann over 92% of the time. I had a recent conversation with him (this week) and it was evident within 5 minutes that he had little to any idea about the bill on which he had just voted. When I brought up several minor provisions that were absolutely counter to the intent of the legislation but catered to various special interests, he either feigned ignorance of their existence or was just lying ... either way the talking points he uttered came right out of the party position.

This latter example is precisely why people are and should be concerned and opposed to the whole 'corporations are people' BS because the party (regardless of side) is always standing with it's hands out and the entity that greases that palm the most is the one that gets heard and it usually isn't the taxpayer.
    Yeah I think it is that team, we must win at all costs, mentality that is screwing up this country. You see it everywhere actually. It is just more vivid in the world of politics.

I honestly believe that many of life's lessons come from the world of sports. Cheaters never prosper, don't be a sore loser, and be gracious in victory.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Teddy Roosevelt discussed putting party before country

which is likely why there was a such a concerted effort on the part of some folks in recent years to trash his name

This latter example is precisely why people are and should be concerned and opposed to the whole 'corporations are people' BS because the party (regardless of side) is always standing with it's hands out and the entity that greases that palm the most is the one that gets heard and it usually isn't the taxpayer.

Truth. On the Federal level esp. Most of their time is spend fundraising for the next election not researching and writing Bills.. Money is their prime focus and they start the day they take their seats. They pretty much have to unless they are from a very "comfortable" district." The fact is, a campaign is expensive. They start out thinking that they can make a difference so they have raise all that money to do "good." But then it's the money more than any doing good.

As you mention there are exceptions, but they are becoming fewer and fewer.

And Joe, no mention of Dave Obey? I know that in Wausau he was either hated or loved...more loved him. What I liked him for is his BS meter was really sensitive, and it didn't matter which side the BS was coming from...he called you on it. Staffers and Congressmen if they saw him coming down the hall towards him would actually run from his sight. Wausau owes him for all that money for the never ending road construction. Will it ever end?
    Teddy Roosevelt discussed putting party before country

which is likely why there was a such a concerted effort on the part of some folks in recent years to trash his name

See I think you can be true to your party and still find compromise with the other party.
    See I think you can be true to your party and still find compromise with the other party.

In a "perfect world"... it used to happen, that day is pretty much over. Now if you buck the party, go find your own funding, they won't help you. The dems recently did that to Russ Feingold. Our republican legislature here in Wisconsin has been doing that to their members for years. There is no room for thinking for yourself. Same thing in the US Congress. The more moderate are scared to buck the leadership or they will be out.
    Maybe they should force the party leaders to go on one of those team building retreats the corporate types go to and make them do it every year until they balance the budget and solve Medicare and SS. Having to sit through one of those seminars should be enough of an incentive to get it done.

There was a priest who recently said they should pass budgets the way the cardinals elect a pope. Lock them in a room and after the first week they only get bread and water.
    Maybe they should force the party leaders to go on one of those team building retreats the corporate types go to and make them do it every year until they balance the budget and solve Medicare and SS. Having to sit through one of those seminars should be enough of an incentive to get it done.

You've been pretty funny today Chris. More likely it would cause them to kill themselves....wait, that could work!

I remember that from the Priest too. I got a chuckle out of it.
    I am only in favor of this if they are also required to abide by those laws or policies they themselves pass
    Their laws are for other people.
    Ann Romeny knows what it's like to be a working mom
    Ann Romeny knows what it's like to be a working mom

...who can't afford a pap smear.
    who has pap smears done at home

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement