Had to take some stuf to the local hazmat handling center today

Mr. RightMr. Right Senior MemberPosts: 535 Senior Member
Mostly paint. Some used oil.

Had to show photo ID to drop it off.

Another outrage.

Replies

• TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    I took a bunch of aluminum cans to the recycling center today.
    Had to do the same and give them the license plate # of my vehicle.
    I was wondering what they asked the guy who rode in on an old converted bicycle that had this huge trailer
    thing to which he had strapped a pile of scrap metal including an entire car door.

Also, another thing I learned from all the people recycling bottles and cans in front of me is that BUD ICE is the official beer of the gang-bangers in Pomona, CA.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    We just put our in the recycle bucket that goes with the trashman now. But as a kid I used o collect them and made quite few bucks. Do they still pay you for cans?
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    aluminum is $2.15/lb.

I crush my cans and store them in plastic bins in the garage. Took down 3 bins worth and got $40 today.
    What! That is way more than I got as a little duffer (I had to split it with my bro and I think we got all excited if it was more than a buck a pound). Holy crap I'm going to have to start saving them myself!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,271 Senior Member
    If I had a son, he'd look like Mr. Right.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    What! That is way more than I got as a little duffer (I had to split it with my bro and I think we got all excited if it was more than a buck a pound). Holy crap I'm going to have to start saving them myself!

You will "get" (save) more by not buying as many canned goods. Saves on gas too. And even more important your garage won't fill up because you put off taking the cans in two times.

I bet if it wasn't for me having an "occasional" (I refuse to admit the whole truth) soda, we'd have no cans at all. And our commie county government requires recycling even out here in the boonies.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    Buffco wrote: »

I expect he's a ginger too.
    *G*
    Wetdog wrote: »
    You will "get" (save) more by not buying as many canned goods. Saves on gas too. And even more important your garage won't fill up because you put off taking the cans in two times.

I bet if it wasn't for me having an "occasional" (I refuse to admit the whole truth) soda, we'd have no cans at all. And our commie county government requires recycling even out here in the boonies.

True...and pretty much all my beer is out of bottle these days, so I guess my only cans would be sodas as well. I miss the days when my Dad kept me and my brother in the can business with Bud...but he wont even drink that anymore.
    They are having a hard time even finding any Busch Lite cans along the country roads anymore. I wonder if they moved up to PBR?

what?
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    In Alberta, you are required to pay a can/bottle deposit on beverages (10cents on 1 liter or less and 25cents on larger). You take your empties to a recycling depot for a refund or save them for various bottle drives. You'll find a lot of things in our ditches but cans/bottles aren't one of them
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,739 Senior Member
    troll+1.jpg
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Mr. RightMr. Right Senior Member Posts: 535 Senior Member
    No troll intended. I just plan on posting these as I encounter them as long as you guys keep insisting that voter photo ID is discriminatory.

But I do sort of feel sorry for the young, the elderly and the minorities who are being forced to live with hazardous materials due to a lack of photo ID.
    I'll bet it was all white paint.
    Ya things suck ever since the great liburrl enslavement taking away all the fun of just pouring it in the ditch so it ends up in the local 'crick' or your neighbors well water
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    ****!?! It's only 70 cents a pound around here! I crush the cans (or it'd be even less) and when I have 2-3 trash cans full take 'em in.
    Oh, we need phot ID too, but that's for the state IRS
    There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.
    Mr. Right wrote: »
    No troll intended. I just plan on posting these as I encounter them as long as you guys keep insisting that voter photo ID is discriminatory.

But I do sort of feel sorry for the young, the elderly and the minorities who are being forced to live with hazardous materials due to a lack of photo ID.

If u r not trolling then you beyond full mental ****

You are asked for an ID for a couple of reasons ... If like here the county has a waste disposal recycling fee tacked on to either your trash removal or water utility so yes in your mind it's like voting

The other is to ensure you are a residential and not commercial user trying to dispose of items used in commerce
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,878 Senior Member
    Monkey, don't forget garbage disposal fraud.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

greenman wrote: »
    I'll bet it was all white paint.

Spitting the coffee....
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

Why? Have you been eating too much lead again?

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk
    Mr. Right wrote: »

Do old folks in nursing homes often have to dispose of hazmats?

I know here in TN, they passed a statute saying senior citizens can "save the trouble" of going in to renew their driver's license by just mailing in for it. And rather than carrying over the old photo, the mail-in driver's licenses just don't have a photo, because, well, I don't know why. So all the old folks sent in for driver's licenses, and then bam, they passed a Voter ID law and all the old folks are having trouble voting.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the bills were passed in this order by Republicans and senior citizens in the South mostly vote Democratic.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk
    sleeping medical waste is the result of Obamacare

everyone knows this
    You have to show ID at a hazmat facility?? Boy, you sure live in a Police state.

Mike
    Brian D. wrote: »
    Do old folks in nursing homes often have to dispose of hazmats?

And college students generally set their hazardous materials on fire, while attached to their butts.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    ya while I can't speak specifically to Mr Rightwinged's situation locally you are supposed to take hazardous household materials to the county facility in which you reside ... they identify your residency for a couple of reasons ... first so they can control their 'costs' relative to the fees which are collected from county residents and/or businesses (usually tacked on your trash removal charges as a surcharge) and then secondly they make sure that a business is not disposing of it's hazardous waste as a 'residential' source ... they can determine this by the number of trips, volume and type materials ... some people try this thinking (like cantgitraight) they gubbmints izz stoopidheads

now I 'spose someone with randomn headthoughts that appear to them to be perfect logic that 'voting' is linked to taxes so therefore it's the same same can come to this deduction that this is the same a 'voting'

can things like resurrecting the 'Poll Tax' and/or literacy tests be far behind ... because what we see now emerging from the rightwrongers is the repetitive untruth that only demon-liburrls benefit from voter fraud (everyone knows they are the cheats of the world) and that voter fraud exists at all (which even Bushie said it doesn't) never let the facts get in the way of good propaganda as you forward the ideal that governing should only be determined by an approved and select few and call it 'FREEDOM'

remember the lack of a conspiracy is proof unto itself that one really exists
    Our local facility just ASKS if it is residential, what it is and where its from. Your word is good enough-- at least for now, I guess. The important thing is that it is disposed of properly.

Mike
    ya we're in seven county metro area with nearly 4 million residents

gotta track the meth lab disposals
    In the places that require an ID, can anybody actually verify that it has to be a photo ID? Would they seriously turn you away if you presented, say, a voter registration card?

Hmm?

bd
    good point it's been years since I moved to a new address but I remember doing painting when I first moved in to the now cage and taking empty paint cans, my license hadn't been changed yet and I took my utility bill
  • SaraSara Senior Member Posts: 512 Senior Member
    If you take them straight to the site, you are still paid.
    Brian D. wrote: »
    In the places that require an ID, can anybody actually verify that it has to be a photo ID? Would they seriously turn you away if you presented, say, a voter registration card?

Hmm?

bd

Or perhaps a college ID?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.