Home The Lodge

Nobody Appreciates True Culture Anymore

Brian D.Brian D. Senior MemberPosts: 4,011 Senior Member
I go into this knowing nobody but Monkey will appreciate this at all, but I think he'll at least get it.

I was standing outside our office building earlier today talking with a couple people from our office and one girl who works across the hall, and somebody mentioned Niagara Falls. Even though I knew nobody was going to get it, I couldn't resist saying... "NIAGARA FALLS??? SLOWLY I turned, step by step! Inch by inch!!!"

And I was right. Nobody got it. I told them all to look it up on Youtube later and bow tomorrow to my superior cultural knowledge. Nobody knows the classics anymore.

bd

Replies

• oc stomiasoc stomias Senior Member Posts: 348 Senior Member
    Were they women? Ladies hate the stooges for some reason.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,788 Senior Member
    The Stooges are a classic and that was one of their best skits.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,153 Senior Member
    That is so sad. This country is going to hell in a hand basket.

BTW is that a Susquehanna hat?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    FishTX wrote: »
    The Stooges are a classic and that was one of their best skits.

You know I don't think they originated it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,788 Senior Member
    Yeah, but they were good at it, so it is still a great Stooges skit.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    They were the best.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member

No, but they did a masterful version, as did Abbot and Costello.

What I like about it is that it's a clear-cut "template" that everybody knows, and the real artistry is in how a comedian puts their own individual flourishes on the basic universal skeleton.

In its day, "Slowly I Turned" was sort of like "The Aristocrats," but clean.

bd
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    Brian D. wrote: »
    I go into this knowing nobody but Monkey will appreciate this at all, but I think he'll at least get it.

I was standing outside our office building earlier today talking with a couple people from our office and one girl who works across the hall, and somebody mentioned Niagara Falls. Even though I knew nobody was going to get it, I couldn't resist saying... "NIAGARA FALLS??? SLOWLY I turned, step by step! Inch by inch!!!"

And I was right. Nobody got it. I told them all to look it up on Youtube later and bow tomorrow to my superior cultural knowledge. Nobody knows the classics anymore.

bd

I think I'm pretty close to your age and I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
    No, but they did a masterful version, as did Abbot and Costello.

What I like about it is that it's a clear-cut "template" that everybody knows, and the real artistry is in how a comedian puts their own individual flourishes on the basic universal skeleton.

In its day, "Slowly I Turned" was sort of like "The Aristocrats," but clean.

bd

Also those vaudevilian guys had a different ethic when it came to stealing material. There were classic bits they just all did. That is why you also see Lou Costello and Milton Berle doing similar bits.

Troot,
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,726 Senior Member

bd

Awesome. I haven't heard that one in a while. I used to watch the Stooges everynight back in high school.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member

bd

sorry I first missed this

so up until a few weeks back I had NO idea there is a Three Stooges Movie coming out ... we saw the trailers in a theatre and sticking right to the gender defining moment ... shewho looked at me as was I laughing my **** off and said, 'you'll be going to see that one on your own'

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement