Home The Lodge

Chait's article - 2012 or never

seppalaseppala Senior MemberPosts: 1,916 Senior Member
http://nymag.com/news/features/gop-primary-chait-2012-3/

Long read, but a good one.

Any thoughts? (particularly from Sherb or Steven or any other Republican) I think his tone is a bit alarmist - anyone who claims that "x's" victory means the era of "y" is over is overblown, but he's got a great point about Hispanic voters.

This somewhat relates to Santorum's "snob" remark, which I thought was a great political line until I read that only 18% of voters in Michigan's primary had no college whatsoever.

Replies

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,260 Senior Member
    I don't buy any political "dynasty" of the Dems. When one party is in power long enough they accumulate enough bad breaks and hubris that the voters turn them out. Give the dems another 4 years and the voters, including the college educated, will likely get tired of them. The GOP tried the Barry Goldwater thing once and learned their lesson. They came back with a moderate: Nixon. When times are good, college educated professionals tend to see their interests hurt by liberal policies, so I think they are likely to return to the fold. The GOP will learn to adapt to the electorate. it's politics.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    For anyone to assume that 200 years of American style democracy and 100 years of what we like to call the Free Market really represents what is the best of America now and forever seems to me strangely myopic . Yet this is precisely what current day Republicans want us to believe. Rather than evolve they would freeze us in time (mid 1950's sounds good) forever. But that's not the way the world works, populations change, industries evolve, countless changes occur worldwide. America is not an island, though the GOP would have us believe it is a Christian, white, free market engine/miracle (unique in all the world) rapidly being destroyed by green regulations, hordes of brown people and college elites. Just BS in my opinion.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,111 Senior Member
    Not to mention that when the Meagan McCains of the world come into their own in the party, the Rick Santorums will go the way of the dinosaurs.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,260 Senior Member
    Not to mention that when the Meagan McCains of the world come into their own in the party, the Rick Santorums will go the way of the dinosaurs.
    Exactly. Failure is a great teacher, and the future moderate Hispanic GOP presidential candidate of the future is no doubt being groomed as we speak. Political parties are a block of wet clay.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    dryflie wrote: »
    For anyone to assume that 200 years of American style democracy and 100 years of what we like to call the Free Market really represents what is the best of America now and forever seems to me strangely myopic . Yet this is precisely what current day Republicans want us to believe. Rather than evolve they would freeze us in time (mid 1950's sounds good) forever. But that's not the way the world works, populations change, industries evolve, countless changes occur worldwide. America is not an island, though the GOP would have us believe it is a Christian, white, free market engine/miracle (unique in all the world) rapidly being destroyed by green regulations, hordes of brown people and college elites. Just BS in my opinion.

I'd tend to call this mythic Republican is just a Dem bogeyman. B.S. in my opinion.
    creekguy wrote: »
    Exactly. Failure is a great teacher, and the future moderate Hispanic GOP presidential candidate of the future is no doubt being groomed as we speak.

The funny thing is...his last name is probably Bush.
    About the only thing I agree with is that the Republicans have so far shot themselves in the foot with the Hispanic population. Whether this will always be so remains to be seen.
    Well except for that subset of Hispanics known as Cubans.
    Steven wrote: »
    The funny thing is...his last name is probably Bush.

Marco Rubio.

Jeb's got some baggage. Namely his brother.
    I don't want to stereotype and get everybody's panties in a bunch, but let's just say that equating Cubans and Mexicans just because they have brown skin and speak Spanish would irk members of both ethnic groups.
    since it's become the party that doesn't believe in evolution then welcome to the mass extinction
    Steven wrote: »
    I don't want to stereotype and get everybody's panties in a bunch, but let's just say that equating Cubans and Mexicans just because they have brown skin and speak Spanish would irk members of both ethnic groups.

Cuban's are Republicans for the most part for one reason. The Bay of Pigs. Some Cubans are African by origin left over from the slave trade.
    seppala wrote: »
    http://nymag.com/news/features/gop-primary-chait-2012-3/

Long read, but a good one.

Any thoughts? (particularly from Sherb or Steven or any other Republican) I think his tone is a bit alarmist - anyone who claims that "x's" victory means the era of "y" is over is overblown, but he's got a great point about Hispanic voters.

Chait used to write for TNR so I've been reading variations of this argument of his for a few years. But the fact that he keeps saying it is not to say he's necessarily wrong. We are blowing it with Hispanics. To me, the key feature of future electoral success is twofold: first convince the working classes that our policies will better their lives; and second, serious minority outreach. Both of these projects have IMO been a complete and utter failure.
    sherb wrote: »
    Chait used to write for TNR so I've been reading variations of this argument of his for a few years. But the fact that he keeps saying it is not to say he's necessarily wrong. We are blowing it with Hispanics. To me, the key feature of future electoral success is twofold: first convince the working classes that our policies will better their lives; and second, serious minority outreach. Both of these projects have IMO been a complete and utter failure.

Indeed. The move further right has not been friendly to Hispanics. Cubans not included.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement